Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Why would WBA be great for CC? They currently have no manager. Couldn’t think of a worse situation for a loanee to go into 

For one thing they are close to us so wouldn't require moving for him. For another their team is pretty good so they will be very attacking which should hopefully let CC shine as a creative fulcrum rather than being a bit part player for 5 minutes every other game.

• Like 1

We are going for the top 6 finish next season with the signings we are making. Going to be a great season, just hope we can get back to full attendances as I can see demand outstripping  supply by a considerable  margin.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Way ahead of our two back up strikers. This is the kind of squad depth we need to build over the next year or two.

Very much this.  Ollie is great, but we need to have competition / options that are at a similar level, not just emergency back up that would make do if we're desperate. I hope Wes can be this, but a bit of a gamble to rely on him (and Davis) IMO.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

I really like El Ghazi but if we were to offer Baggies £10-£15m + him for Pereria. It would be good business for both parties.

I'd feel bad letting AEG going to baggies though, don't feel like he deserves that. 

They'll probably think they are getting a super deal because he always scores against them.

I would do this all day long but then I am not a huge AEG fan - for me he is the wing equivalent of Conor.

4 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

El Ghazi will be kept as squad player I reckon. Can cover several positions

Where else do you think AEG can play other than on the LW??

If he can, he's been hiding at well as far as I am concerned.

5 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Suspect we will need to wait, especially with Euro’s about to start.

I think we went early for Buendia because it probably suited Norwich to deal early so they’ve time to build. I also suspect it would have suited Arsenal to wait and try and shift people first which wouldn’t have been good for Norwich.

So I suspect we flexed our financial muscle but also out manoeuvred Arsenal, we also seem to not piss off clubs when buying players which is I think important.

I’d love to see another follow quickly but can’t see it.

As I said previously though, the stuff a couple of weeks ago about us not spending much this window... not buying it.

I think we will spend circa £80-100m again.

Just seen comments from Percy that seem to support this suggesting we paid up front rather than in instalments as Arsenal offered. We really flexed our financial muscle on this one, as I thought Arsenal would have rather waited and sold people.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KAZZAM said:

Pretty happy with Buendia. However Leicester getting bargains in a buyers market making me envious. 

Whyt should it make you nervous?

Leicester are an established top 4 - 6 club.

We are not going to overtake what they've built in 1 or 2 in transfer windows.

If anything, they are the model to look towards.

Leicester do good transfer business pretty much every window.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

LW, CAM, RW

We have El Ghazi, Grealish, Buendia and Traore.

I think Smith probably wants to play a 4-3-3 with 3 CM'ers - a bit like Liverpool - and no ACM, although SJM can come through and join in.  I think the supposed acquisition of JWP - another 8 when we already have SJM, Sanson, possibly Luiz and Ramsey (although I would want him to go out on loan next season) - supports this?

In this scenario, you have 4 for the 2 wide positions.

Like you, I would probably prefer to play a 4-2-3-1 as I think we have played our best football in the past season with that formation, when Barkley was at 10 and playing well (seems a distant memory now!).  I would try and bring in two out of Pereira, Rashica and Olise, let AEG go (he doesn't do enough for me and can only play out on the LW) and possibly have JPB floating around as the 6th choice.  A net spend of probably £25m if mooted figures are correct.

2 hours ago, RicRic said:

Dont think we ever needed him tbh .. saying that he will probably go and score against us now if he does sign 😂

All depends how you view Wes I guess.

For me, at the mooted 15-20m (driven by him having only a year remaining on his contract), this is exactly the type of deal that we should be looking at as back up/rotation for Ollie.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Whyt should it make you nervous?

Leicester are an established top 4 - 6 club.

We are not going to overtake what they've built in 1 or 2 in transfer windows.

If anything, they are the model to look towards.

Leicester do good transfer business pretty much every window.

I agree but he said envious not nervous

• Like 1

Villa need to sign a striker this window.Ollie is good and will improve again,but Wesley as his backup? I'm not so sure of that..its a big gamble again this window not to sign a forward..if ollie gets injured what happens if Wesley is crocked..we would be screwed

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Villa need to sign a striker this window.Ollie is good and will improve again,but Wesley as his backup? I'm not so sure of that..its a big gamble again this window not to sign a forward..if ollie gets injured what happens if Wesley is crocked..we would be screwed

Completely agree, buying another striker is key this summer for me now.  I worry we now have creative talent but one issue with Ollie and we maybe struggling.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Completely agree, buying another striker is key this summer for me now.  I worry we now have creative talent but one issue with Ollie and we maybe struggling.

We need a top notch DCM, a back up LB and a back up striker. If we get those three we are in great shape but need all three for me. Anything on top is a bonus.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RicRic said:

Thats funny because I completely forgot about jacob ramsey when counting our midfield IF its that ramsey your referring to and not his brother as he didnt offer anything for us this season but hes still young however i cant knock him just yet. Bidace im excited to see him brought into the fold. But yeah we need to give these boys a chance rightly said.. United and liverpool do so why cant we

For me:

• Jacob Ramsey, Keinan Davis, Dom Revan, possibly JPB - get them all out on loan at clubs that would have a suitable style of play and let's see, with a full season of decent (hopefully) involvement, whether they have what it takes.
  • Carney, Aaron Ramsey, Kessler, possibly Barry and maybe some others - get them in the U-23s but operating in and around the first team squad with sub/bench cover for injuries and Cup game time.  They are still babies.  All U-18 and the step up to the men's game is huge.  I wouldn't want any of them, personally, in our first 22 (two options for every position) as I think this puts too much pressure on them at that age - if Cash got a season ending injury, I would not want Kessler thrown in as the then first choice RB at his age.  Keep them working with Ollie Stevenson to build up their physique - Carney is tall but still looks lightweight, compared to full grown men (not surprising when he is 17) as an example.  Then, next year, aim to get them all out on loan at decent footballing clubs.  They would then come back at 19 then and potentially be ready to compete, depending how they have done out on loan.  Maybe one or two of them, after a season around the first team squad, would be deemed ready to do a "Greenwood" and come into the first 22 but such players, imho, are few and far between.  Jack, who has always been quite strong, probably die to his gaelic football, certainly benefitted from his loan and came back in at circa 19 I think?  I think this is easier as a wide forward where you are less pressurised to get involved in physical battles (although Greenwood, like Rooney before, appears to be physically well developed for his age), which maybe points to Barry as a potential for earlier involvement? 
  • Like 1

I think we'll try sign a striker and loan Wesley out so he can play regular football. I see we're linked to Chris Wood, he'd be a great option. Probably cost around 20 mil as he's 29. Proven in the Prem with double figure goals in the last 4 seasons, wouldn't expect to be No1 ala if we got Tammy

• Like 1
  • Confused 1