Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 hour ago, Wes said:

That has been said somewhere you're right (Birmingham Mail and/or The Athletic maybe).

My thinking is that that specific requirement is for those players who will be, more often than not, playing in the Starting 11, such as Buendia. It makes sense that if you're paying a lot of money for Starting 11 players, you would like to know they've performed at a good level in the Premier League before. 

However for backup players (of which any new full back would be considering Cash was only purchased last year and Targett is signing a new deal) it makes sense to also consider utilising the continental markets where time and time again we have seen that bargains can be had. Now if someone like van Aanholt comes to us and is quite happy to understand his place in the current pecking order (Targett is the starter, you're the backup pushing him for his place) then that's great. Although I think PvA, Bertrand etc. are also likely to get offered either more playing time or higher wages at other teams (particularly Bertrand because he helps with the Home Grown issue) compared to us.

It's about allocating the transfer kitty in the most efficient way possible. Also you've got to think with this being both Lange's and Mackenzie's first Summer window they've had adequate time to properly prepare for, I think it's more likely than not that we get someone from outside of the UK.

Just my own opinion on the situation though. I've got a lot of faith with the current setup and are both excited and interested to see how they approach adding to the team over the Summer. They're already off to a great start.

I'd agree with this, I think when spending big you want British players and/or players proven in Premier League. When signing from abroad look for bargains and sign them in positions where there is competition so they either work out over time or there isn't much downside if it doesn't

• Like 1

For Matt Targett's backup/understudy/competition, I would like to suggest Noah Katterbach from Koln.

He has been at Koln since he was a kid, 20 years old now and has regularly featured in the German national youth teams. He has skillz, seems strong, and has room for development. His contract with Koln runs until 2024, but with the right cash, maybe we can turn some heads.

We should get this guy.

• Like 1

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Is that with the Grealish money?

????

Just a player we've been rumoured to be monitoring for a while. Who has recently said he isn't sure he will be at Bournemouth next season.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

????

Just a player we've been rumoured to be monitoring for a while. Who has recently said he isn't sure he will be at Bournemouth next season.

We were loosely linked couple of seasons ago (don't think was anymore than journo speculation). He plays same position as Buendia/Traore and they'd want 25 million minimum so I really doubt it. I think he's overrated personally

10 minutes ago, hippo said:

????

Think Bournemouth were apparently after £50m for him when they went down last year. If Buendia is worth £33m then Villa would probably value Brooks at about £20m so you'd imagine there'd be a bit of a stalemate on agreeing a fee.

6 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Think Bournemouth were apparently after £50m for him when they went down last year. If Buendia is worth £33m then Villa would probably value Brooks at about £20m so you'd imagine there'd be a bit of a stalemate on agreeing a fee.

We've never had trouble signing players from Bournemouth 🙄

32 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Is he as good as his dad?!?

Not yet. Seen him play a couple of times and I thought he was the best player on the pitch. Plays CDM. For a big guy he's pretty smooth in his movement and is an excellent passer of the ball on top of his obvious defensive skills. His positioning is very good already. 

17 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Yes - I think Brooks is hinting now that he would like to leave.

20 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Not yet. Seen him play a couple of times and I thought he was the best player on the pitch. Plays CDM. For a big guy he's pretty smooth in his movement and is an excellent passer of the ball on top of his obvious defensive skills. His positioning is very good already. 

Some quality moments in there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Its only a hunch but yeah I think so.

I agree. I've always thought we can double down on our position of strength with our willingness to spend while many clubs are tightening the purse strings or need to sell to strengthen. Now is the time to make up some distance to the leading pack.

2 or 3 high profile purchases and a loan or 2 to take us near or above 100m. A few outgoings, which has already begun. As well as further academy investment.

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

El Ghazi will be kept as squad player I reckon. Can cover several positions though that trade looks decent.

Brace against Baggies in Championship probably his best game in a Villa shirt

I think the smart move is to sell him.

He won't get as many minutes next year, he scored a good amount of goals this year. I could see someone paying 15m for him which could go towards another wide forward.

Edit - He only has 2 years left on his deal too.

Edited by paul514
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I agree. I've always thought we can double down on our position of strength with our willingness to spend while many clubs are tightening the purse strings or need to sell to strengthen. Now is the time to make up some distance to the leading pack.

2 or 3 high profile purchases and a loan or 2 to take us near or above 100m. A few outgoings, which has already begun. As well as further academy investment.

The longer the owners keep funding these spends the more room to maneuver with player sales when the spending taps are turned off somewhat (That is my thinking anyway)