Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

4 hours ago, lexicon said:

I'd agree with this - I think it's best to leave the fond memories of him alone rather than ruin them by getting him back. 

The only exception to the rule was Sid Cowans. 

5 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

They never are. But you have to judge it's case by its merits. Would Teixeira be worth £200k per week and a multi million pound signing on fee and agent fee? No way. I'd much rather sign a promising youngster from the Championship who will fight for his place or give one of our youngsters a chance. They've proven they're alright.

Yeah at 31 I wouldn't go near him. You could make a case if he was 28 or so but I think this one comes with too many risks for that price.

• Like 1

No to Benteke. I was probably up for it a year ago but things were realllly desperate back then. 

He left us the first chance he got, I'd rather not give him another lifeline and he is not even a quarter of the player he was back then, now. 

Most fans' reasons for wanting Benteke back is based on nostalgia rather than his current ability. Whilst he was absolutely superb for us, I have no nostalgia for that era. I hated that team and that manager and have no desire to be reminded of it. The future is much brighter.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, est1874 said:

Tom Cleverley wasn't shit when he left us either.

Yes he was... all of them are...

Once they make the decision to leave us for one of our direct rivals in the same league... and the club aren’t trying to force them out?

They become shit pretty much instantly...

Benteke... Shit

Cleverly... Shit

Delph... Shit

Barry... Shit

Yorke... Shit

Albrighton?... Not shit

Mellberg?... Not shit

Downing.... Shit

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Yes he was... all of them are...

Once they make the decision to leave us for one of our direct rivals in the same league... and the club aren’t trying to force them out?

They become shit pretty much instantly...

Benteke... Shit

Cleverly... Shit

Delph... Shit

Barry... Shit

Yorke... Shit

Albrighton?... Not shit

Mellberg?... Not shit

Downing.... Shit

Barry?

I wanted Benteke back in at the beginning of last season as a backup striker in the hope we could rehabilitate him.

Now I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. He's not what we need at this point, and at 30 years old he hasn't got time on his side to rediscover his form for us in his prime. Let's leave him in the past and remember him as he was before he sacked us off for 'bigger and better things'.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Okonokos said:

Because he was rated as high as it gets as a youngster and could have potentially ended up anywhere. I'm sure Real Madrid were interested in his early career. It suggests he values the money over his footballing career. We've taken those characters before and it creates a toxic atmosphere. He's used to earning £200k per week and he'll want something similar now. Would he be worth that? No chance. Also, think of the signing on fee and agent fee; this will not be a free transfer.

By all accounts he wanted to go to Liverpool but Donesk refused him to move. Getting paid million in china isn't probably that bad a lifestyle to compensate. 

59 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

No to Benteke. I was probably up for it a year ago but things were realllly desperate back then. 

He left us the first chance he got, I'd rather not give him another lifeline and he is not even a quarter of the player he was back then, now. 

Well that isn't actually true he was at Villa for 3 seasons and he signed an additional contract whilst at us.

He was fantastic with us but I wouldn't have him back because 1- he wouldn't fit the system, and 2- he isn't as good as he used to be.

On 22/01/2021 at 14:27, skarroki said:

Anybody suggested Alex Teixeira yet? Might be pie in the sky, football manager kind of signing but I actually think he'd fit our team and style of play well. Fitting our wage structure would be the problem but we've never had a better change of signing someone like him with Dougie and Wes at the club. 

I'd also consider Sokratis, another released player, wages again a stumbling block but would be good to have a solid, experienced player to challenge for a starting spot rather than relying on Hause having a good game or Engels turning faster than a freight train 

4 hours ago, Loxstock92 said:

Supposedly linked with Alex Teixeira. 

most likely bollocks but it’s another name 🤷‍♂️

Just thought I'd quote what I said on the idea of going for him a few days ago. 

I think someone is in for him, as he was supposed all set to go to a Saudi Arabian club at the start of January after his visa / Chinese citizenship issues. Not necessarily saying it's us but I'm sure he's got an interesting offer from somewhere. 

Re Benteke, if he’s the only option I’m happy for him to come back if a cheap short term deal.  

Don’t really want to go into the second half of the season with only Watkins as a true central striker.  Davis isn’t good enough and Wes at best will be recovering and trying to get fitness for next season.

If a quality striker coming in then great we don’t need Benteke but he’s better than getting nobody else in.