Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

I love Benteke, but as it has been said before, we need a dynamic hard working centre forward with the pace to work the channels and get in behind as part of our plan A. Benteke would only offer us a plan B option so we would still probably play Traore up top as his qualities better fit our plan A. The plan B option is Wesley, who works hard and is more mobile than Tekkers.

Now Tekkers going to Baggies for the run in would suit Big Sam to a tee. They would lump it forward bypassing midfield, getting Diangina, Pereira, and Grant close to him to feed off the lay offs and flick ons. Could work well for them as big Sam has already got their defense to defend. It could turn out to be a masterstroke for them. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

It does but I cant find any quotes of him being critical of him previously. The comments recently suggest he had the option to stay at Leicester.

Having looked for the comments I think I remember, I also can't find them. I'm not ruling out that I've imagined it! However, Googling does turn up another reason to suspect this might not fly:

'Few players at Leicester would have been happier than Demarai Gray to see Claude Puel replace Craig Shakespeare back in October. Given the French manager’s reputation for putting his faith in young players, it seemed like the right appointment at the perfect time for the winger, who was willing to spread the blame for his own stunted progress.

“Being in and out of the team is not good,” he said in November. “I know what I’m capable of… Over the last 18 months I’ve been held back a bit. Since Puel came in, I feel I’m going to get more chances.”'

from: https://www.football365.com/news/f365s-early-loser-demarai-grays-failure-to-launch

• Like 2

If Benteke wanted to come and be a bit part player for a few months then fair enough, I think he's a different option to Davis in that you might think he will at least score the *occasional* goal. 

We ideally want a short term option because the club are unlikely to want to invest big money in a striker with Wesley on the horizon. I suspect they will want to see how he comes back from his injury. In that, Benteke fits the bill. The trouble is, I doubt he would want to come here and sit on the bench. What's the point? 

Main areas of concern for me are Striker and LB. I think we're fairly comfortable in midfield when Sanson joins providing we don't have a massive injury crisis. I do worry if Watkins or Targett are out long term (and although I think Wesley can come good, he's coming back from quite a big injury so I don't think it's fair to rely on him hitting form immediately).

Hause's recent performances have put initial fears to rest at CB, although it would be nice to see a little more back up here as well.

1 hour ago, Loxstock92 said:

Supposedly linked with Alex Teixeira. 

most likely bollocks but it’s another name 🤷‍♂️

If this guy is available on a free , plays on the left and down the middle , can't see why not . Reason we don't buy older players is the lack of a sell on value but if there free why not

Apparently Teixeira nearly went to Liverpool a few years back but Shakhtar turned it down and he then went to China.  I wouldn't give him more than a 18 month contract though as it looks like a stop gap signing. Is against our current signings in getting young players apart from Reina last January.  Might help having Dougie and Wes at Villa as well. 

36 minutes ago, pete101 said:

If this guy is available on a free , plays on the left and down the middle , can't see why not . Reason we don't buy older players is the lack of a sell on value but if there free why not

You'd have to question the attitude of a supposedly once potentially world class youngster who has chosen to spend his entire career until the age of 31 at Shakhtar and Jiangsu Suning. It may be a free transfer but it will be far from free.

11 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Gabriel Barbosa

Gabi-Goal!! There's a player in there. It didn't go well for him at Inter but he was banging them in the last I saw in Brazil. Maybe Doug and Wes can help him settle and he'll realise his full potential.

Edited by sparrow1988

24 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

You'd have to question the attitude of a supposedly once potentially world class youngster who has chosen to spend his entire career until the age of 31 at Shakhtar and Jiangsu Suning. It may be a free transfer but it will be far from free.

Very narrow world view IMO. He grew up in abject poverty and managed to get a job making 200k or so a week in China - who are you to judge his life choices? 

Edited by lexicon
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, pete101 said:

Teixeira had his pick of top clubs when leaving Shakhtar and ran to China. We will be ok without

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Very narrow world view IMO. He grew up in abject poverty and managed to get a job making 200k or so a week in China - who are you to judge his life choices? 

Because he was rated as high as it gets as a youngster and could have potentially ended up anywhere. I'm sure Real Madrid were interested in his early career. It suggests he values the money over his footballing career. We've taken those characters before and it creates a toxic atmosphere. He's used to earning £200k per week and he'll want something similar now. Would he be worth that? No chance. Also, think of the signing on fee and agent fee; this will not be a free transfer.

1 minute ago, Okonokos said:

Because he was rated as high as it gets as a youngster and could have potentially ended up anywhere. I'm sure Real Madrid were interested in his early career. It suggests he values the money over his footballing career. We've taken those characters before and it creates a toxic atmosphere. He's used to earning £200k per week and he'll want something similar now. Would he be worth that? No chance. Also, think of the signing on fee and agent fee; this will not be a free transfer.

They very rarely are.

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Teixeira had his pick of top clubs when leaving Shakhtar and ran to China. We will be ok without

Exactly. He was hardly living in poverty by the time he left Shakhtar, was he? He chose to go to China and he gave up 5 years of his career. No thanks.

7 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

They very rarely are.

They never are. But you have to judge it's case by its merits. Would Teixeira be worth £200k per week and a multi million pound signing on fee and agent fee? No way. I'd much rather sign a promising youngster from the Championship who will fight for his place or give one of our youngsters a chance. They've proven they're alright.

Edited by Okonokos