Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

If it wasn't for social distancing I'd be convinced that Trent and Bobzy are sitting together in some West Bridgford enclave and taking it in turns to post Benteke love letters on these threads every flipping window!

I'd still like us to have a look at Rondon tbh.

He went to the Chinese club to partly play for Benitez again I reckon so now Rafa has left you'd think he'd be open to coming back to play in europe if he gets a decent offer and seems Chinese clubs might want to unload some of their expensive foreign players.

Aranutovic in same category but don't really think he'd be a good fit for our dressing room at all. Talented player but very all about him on the pitch.

It is called West Benteke these days.

I wouldn’t want Rondon.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I wouldn't touch Benteke.

Firm believer of never going back. While there are exceptions Tekkers isn't one of them. Isn't the player he was. Lost pace after his injury, high wages and hasn't performed consistently for a long time. Textbook player to stay clear of.

We're done being a retirement home for aging has beens on high wages. We at least I hope we are. 

I'd agree with this - I think it's best to leave the fond memories of him alone rather than ruin them by getting him back. 

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Anyone shouting for Benteke are clouded by romance and nostalgia. 

He isn't the player he once were in 2013. 

Wrong age. Can't press. Slow moving. Average finisher. He ticks all the wrong boxes. 

No. I hate this line of argument. I’m fully aware he isn’t the player of 8 years ago, no player is afterall.

9 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Benteke being linked with a move to WBA... I'd hate to see that.

If we could get him on a short term deal until the summer I'd love to have him back, call me a sentimental fool but I think he would be a great short term option for us.

You're a sentimental fool.

13 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

No. I hate this line of argument. I’m fully aware he isn’t the player of 8 years ago, no player is afterall.

Why? Isn't a list of attributes/stats/abilities pretty relevant when judging when considering a future signing?

People see things differently, but I'd honestly play Davis over Benteke. And that says something. 

6 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Why? Isn't a list of attributes/stats/abilities pretty relevant when judging when considering a future signing?

People see things differently, but I'd honestly play Davis over Benteke. And that says something. 

Jeez what a fall from grace for Benteke! Davis is now rated higher than him.

6 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I was quite clearly referencing the “he isnt the player of 2013” line, on the attributes I don’t agree with them obviously.

He is a far better option than Davis.

Davis better than Benteke? Benteke scores the odd time even when out of form. Davis, even when on top form, doesn't score goals.

I would have welcomed Benteke last January with open arms considering the situation that we were in. He is also better than Samatta in my opinion. However, when I look at it from a purely objective point of view, I think that we have moved beyond Benteke now.

There will nevertheless always be that nagging feeling that says what if;

• he stays fit
  • we could get him to play this system
  • he scores a couple and gets on a run of form
  • ...... and so on

then there is a player there. How many ifs are too many when signing a player?

Re Teke, he doesn't have the legs to fit into our style however as a short term fix he might be useful especially for Watkins off the field. I was all for Costa or Mandzukic until the end of the season to bring that experience and alternative option.

These guys have got a little bit of nastiness in their game which I think is sometimes lacking in ours. Naturally I'd prefer a younger option but Teke until the end of the season might be useful one way or another.

11 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Brendon Rodgers has recently said his attitude to training was first class.

Makes sense to talk a player up when you're trying to sell them, but IIRC he has suggested the opposite of that on previous occasions.

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I wouldn't touch Benteke.

I agree.

I don't understand the love parade over Beneteke on this forum.

He was shite when he left Villa and he's done nothing spectacular since.

Besides, he only seen us as a stepping stone in his career anyway.

Why anyone would want him back here is really utterly bizarre.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I agree.

I don't understand the love parade over Beneteke on this forum.

He was shite when he left Villa and he's done nothing spectacular since.

Besides, he only seen us as a stepping stone in his career anyway.

Why anyone would want him back here is really utterly bizarre.

Well he was not shit when he left Villa. His goals kept us up again and got us to an FA Cup final 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Well he was not shit when he left Villa. His goals kept us up again and got us to an FA Cup final 

You do understand I said when he left Villa.

His goals that kept us up and got us to the FA Cup final was while he was still at Villa.

• Haha 1

I don't even think goalscoring is the most important thing in our system for a striker.

Pressing is your bread and butter. If you can't do that you can't play here as a 9.

We have goals all over the pitch. It's not like under Lambert where we were heavily relient on having a 10-15 goal striker.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Villaphil said:

Completely agree by the way, but do love the way this thread swings from discussing whether or not Benteke could still do a job for us and the suggestion that we should go snap up Messi.

But just for one minute imagine Jack on the left and Messi on the right!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Makes sense to talk a player up when you're trying to sell them, but IIRC he has suggested the opposite of that on previous occasions.

It does but I cant find any quotes of him being critical of him previously. The comments recently suggest he had the option to stay at Leicester.