Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

We are only 7 or so weeks (and 8 games) away from the winter window opening.  There are numerous questions around what business we should look to do in January.

• Do we look to do any business (we should know that we are comfortably in the PL next season so should have at least another year of big money) or just keep our powder dry for the summer knowing that we won't be getting relegated and then go again next summer when it is possibly easier to make better signings?
  • Does it depend upon where we are in the table?
  • If we do, how many and any specific positions and/or targets?
  • If we do, who drops out of the current 25? 
  • Would it be a good time to try and secure Barkley on a permanent deal and buy out DL's buyback clause?

The one signing that springs to mind for me is Rashica.  He didn't come in the summer, supposedly because he didn't want to be involved in another relegation fight.  Hopefully, we will be able to demonstrate to him that this is no longer in the equation and European qualification is a possibility, even more so with his help.  He would be perfect, from what I have seen, in rotation/substitution/resting with Jack and Barkley.  His price at c. €20m is also not unreasonable.  If we could do this, I would look to offload AEG.

In my dream world we also get a back up box to box midfielder to cover SJM and a left back to cover Targett but I expect we would have to wait until next summer for these two.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

We are only 7 or so weeks (and 8 games) away from the winter window opening.  There are numerous questions around what business we should look to do in January.

• Do we look to do any business (we should know that we are comfortably in the PL next season so should have at least another year of big money) or just keep our powder dry for the summer knowing that we won't be getting relegated and then go again next summer when it is possibly easier to make better signings?
  • Would it be a good time to try and secure Barkley on a permanent deal and buy out DL's buyback clause?

The one signing that springs to mind for me is Rashica.  He didn't come in the summer, supposedly because he didn't want to be involved in another relegation fight.  Hopefully, we will be able to demonstrate to him that this is no longer in the equation and European qualification is a possibility, even more so with his help.  He would be perfect, from what I have seen, in rotation/substitution/resting with Jack and Barkley.  His price at c. €20m is also not unreasonable.  If we could do this, I would look to offload AEG.

In my dream world we also get a back up box to box midfielder to cover SJM and a left back to cover Targett but I expect we would have to wait until next summer for these two.

Rashica has already agreed to join Leverkusen in January hasn't he?  Like you I'd like us to look for a younger understudy for Targett, maybe loan them back til the summer like we did with Guilbert.  Same with a centre half.  

• Like 2

I think we need to continue to be ambitious and strengthen in January. This season is very strange and you never know how things will go.
The lack of a pre season, congested fixture schedule will take its toll and I hope we get 1-2 additions in January.

But please let’s not mention THAT guy again.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I thought it had fallen over but was still a possibility.  I wasn't aware it was a "done deal" but could be wrong.

He's clearly not that fussed over joining us otherwise he'd have done it last window so wouldn't bother going back in for him. Do wonder if we'd got Rashica if we'd signed Barkley aswell. Doubt it as think the plan would've been to play Rashica in Jack's place and move him back centrally so actually could've worked out for the best.

Edited by VillaChris

4 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Whatever happens, left back is the next priority position so if possible I'd like for us to be able to sign someone there. He doesn't even have to be an improvement to Targett, just a good enough backup to replace Taylor.

One target that came to mind was Alonso at Chelsea. Yes he isn't the greatest defender in the world but pretty good going forward and chips in with 5 goals a season. Better in a 3-5-2 though.

Not going to play much for them with Chilwell first choice. I presume we can't loan in another for Chelsea so wonder what they'd want for him permanently, signed him for 25m in 2016 but assume he dosen't have much on his contract.

Danny Rose will probably be offered to us and a few others but I'd stay clear for him, wouldn't have played in six months.

Edited by VillaChris

Buying Luiz and Barclay would be great business, but I suspect nothing will be done until the summer with them.

I think we would buy in January if a player we liked became available.

I would like us to strengthen the defence, we have absolutely no depth there.

8 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Whatever happens, left back is the next priority position so if possible I'd like for us to be able to sign someone there. He doesn't even have to be an improvement to Targett, just a good enough backup to replace Taylor.

I agree to an extent, but I think it needs to be someone better than Targett.

39 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I have not followed Rashica's performances since the window closed, but I don't get the vibe on his attitude of being that of Martinez or Watkins....Martinez was playing for a better club than Rashica, but managed more respect for us, before he came and it has carried on.

Have we dodged a bullet here?.....I don't know?, but suspect, we may have done.

• Like 1

im going to assume we have a limited amount of money in the Jan transfer window, so not going to list requirements like im on Supermarket Sweep!

Personally, i would prioritise 2 positions:

1) CDM/MC - someone technically good but also someone who offers power/strength/tenacity etc, to help make our midfield tough as nails. (like an Ndidi/Fernandinho type)

2) Winger/Inside Forward - Hopefully Traore will come good, but if there is any doubt from the Coaching Team, we need someone to actually fill that right wing (or can play right wing/other positions - versatility), imo we need someone who offers something attacking down the right, to balance out the quality on our left wing. (even if Traore does come good, i might still say we need another versatile winger, ie: Grealish, Traore, Trez, NEW)

In a fantasy world, would also like a LB to challenge Targett, and possibly even a cheeky bid for Barkley if he continues to do well/improve (but i think both of those can wait until the summer tbh)

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

One target that came to mind was Alonso at Chelsea. Yes he isn't the greatest defender in the world but pretty good going forward and chips in with 5 goals a season. Better in a 3-5-2 though.

Not going to play much for them with Chilwell first choice. I presume we can't loan in another for Chelsea so wonder what they'd want for him permanently, signed him for 25m in 2016 but assume he dosen't have much on his contract.

Danny Rose will probably be offered to us and a few others but I'd stay clear for him, wouldn't have played in six months.

Alonso is a disaster in a back 4, would stay away. Pushing 30 as well

• Thanks 1

Never a better time than when you're on the up and players want to join. 
I imagine FFP will limit what we can do but if we genuinely think there are players out there that can improve the first XI and they want to come, we should be trying to make it happen. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

I have not followed Rashica's performances since the window closed, but I don't get the vibe on his attitude of being that of Martinez or Watkins....Martinez was playing for a better club than Rashica, but managed more respect for us, before he came and it has carried on.

Have we dodged a bullet here?.....I don't know?, but suspect, we may have done.

I can understand his reluctance to move to another country to just get engaged in a relegation battle - he is not a Villan and, I imagine, would have perceived us to be comparable to Werder Bremen on the basis of the last few seasons, but I would hope the performances to date and the ambition showed by the owners, plus Jack staying, might have altered that view.  He does, from what I have seen, look like the "Bundesliga's Jack" and would be a perfect addition to share the burden of "10" and "11" and possibly capable of playing at "7".  He might also lessen the fee we would have to fork out for Barkley as they might perceive that we would not be as desperate if we had other solutions at "10".  Plus, he looks a massive upgrade on AEG for a, hopefully, net $10m?