Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

1 hour ago, Okonokos said:

Exactly. He was hardly living in poverty by the time he left Shakhtar, was he? He chose to go to China and he gave up 5 years of his career. No thanks.

He was refused a move to another champions League club and China were offering him potential citizenship and more money then you could ever spend. He's been the captain of a successful side out there and a great goal scoring record in the Champions League before. He was on £185k a week but his contract was reduced. 

He's an exciting player to watch and if he would come in and buy into the project he'd be a fantastic signing I believe. agent fees, sign on fees, wages obviously would make this a non-starter if they're astronomical but if he'd fit into our wage system he'd be ideal. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

Big fat NO to Benteke. He seems to be having a slightly better season but his best days are long gone. Wouldn't be a bad move for the Baggies though imo.

This. People forget how lazy he is. He's not a team player and generally just stands offside all the time. Don't see how he'd fit into our team at all. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, skarroki said:

He was refused a move to another champions League club and China were offering him potential citizenship and more money then you could ever spend. He's been the captain of a successful side out there and a great goal scoring record in the Champions League before. He was on £185k a week but his contract was reduced. 

He's an exciting player to watch and if he would come in and buy into the project he'd be a fantastic signing I believe. agent fees, sign on fees, wages obviously would make this a non-starter if they're astronomical but if he'd fit into our wage system he'd be ideal. 

They refused the move because it was in the January window and they requested he stay until the end of the season to help them out. If he'd done so then he may well have been allowed to move on in the summer instead. He seemed to jump at the chance to go to China instead of waiting 6 months for his "dream" move to Anfield and he ended up staying there for 5 years. It just doesn't seem like the right attitude to me. I'd rather us go for a younger and less expensive player.

50 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

Big fat NO to Benteke. He seems to be having a slightly better season but his best days are long gone. Wouldn't be a bad move for the Baggies though imo.

No from me as well. Though, I can't help but fantasize about how the Benteke of old Villa would do in the team we have now. He'd blossom like...some sort of meat eating, high octane, unstoppable superflower. Sigh.

Edited by Gompedyret
I guess a flower blossoms instead of flourishing.
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

They refused the move because it was in the January window and they requested he stay until the end of the season to help them out. If he'd done so then he may well have been allowed to move on in the summer instead. He seemed to jump at the chance to go to China instead of waiting 6 months for his "dream" move to Anfield and he ended up staying there for 5 years. It just doesn't seem like the right attitude to me. I'd rather us go for a younger and less expensive player.

I trust the recruitment team at the club to make the right judgement on a player's attitude. Personally, I think you're drawing conclusions from your assumptions rather than any sort of fact. 

7 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I trust the recruitment team at the club to make the right judgement on a player's attitude. Personally, I think you're drawing conclusions from your assumptions rather than any sort of fact. 

My assumptions are based on these facts;

• he rejected Shakhtar's request to help them until the end of the season,
  • spent 5 of his prime years in a League 2 standard league
  • would come with a huge signing on fee and wages
  • and is 31 years of age.

That's why it's a no from me.

6 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Henrik Larsson stayed in a poor league most of his career, wasn't actually till he was 32 that he left, won the champions League for Barca that year, possibly one of greatest attitudes I've seen in a footballer

8 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

They accepted the bid 😕 - where's your source for them asking him to stay after they had accepted the bid?

CSL isn't League 2 standard - what are you basing this on? 

4 minutes ago, pete101 said:

Henrik Larsson stayed in a poor league most of his career, wasn't actually till he was 32 that he left, won the champions League for Barca that year, possibly one of greatest attitudes I've seen in a footballer

you dont prove the rule, by quoting the exceptions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

They accepted the bid 😕 - where's your source for them asking him to stay after they had accepted the bid?

CSL isn't League 2 standard - what are you basing this on? 

"After negotiations with Liverpool I asked Alex to stay at Shakhtar till the end of the season to help us win the championship," Lucescu explained,

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/shakhtar-boss-reveals-the-truth-about-liverpools-alex-teixeira-pursuit-65002

Shakhtar's manager at the time said it and looks like the quote was taken from the club's official site. He went on to say he didn't expect him to stay in China more than 2 or 3 years and hoped he'd come back to Europe to showcase his talents.

The Chinese league is pretty poor. Let's face it, players don't exactly move there for the quality of football, do they? Clearly that was my point.

All I'm saying is there should be a question mark over his desire. What's so unbelievable about me questioning that?

10 minutes ago, pete101 said:

An exception. There are exceptions to most rules.

2 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/shakhtar-boss-reveals-the-truth-about-liverpools-alex-teixeira-pursuit-65002

Shakhtar's manager at the time said it and looks like the quote was taken from the club's official site. He went on to say he didn't expect him to stay in China more than 2 or 3 years and hoped he'd come back to Europe to showcase his talents.

The Chinese league is pretty poor. Let's face it, players don't exactly move there for the quality of football, do they? Clearly that was my point.

All I'm saying is there should be a question mark over his desire. What's so unbelievable about me questioning that?

That quote is to do with the Liverpool bid, not the Jiangsu one. You were trying to twist that into this narrative you've created where this guy is a disloyal money grabber, and I think that's pretty unfair. 

5 minutes ago, lexicon said:

That quote is to do with the Liverpool bid, not the Jiangsu one. You were trying to twist that into this narrative you've created where this guy is a disloyal money grabber, and I think that's pretty unfair. 

I've twisted nothing at all. He chose China over helping his team win the league, waiting 6 months and getting a move a top league.

I'm simply questioning his desire to play football at the best level he can. He chose China for 5 years. It says a lot. Was the Chinese league the best he thought he could do?

Edited by Okonokos

38 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Alex Teixeira would be an interesting signing if we could make it happen on sensible wages. Much better than Baston. Would be quite the step up :P 

Feels like a Wolves type signing, weren't they linked to him a few years back?

6 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

I've twisted nothing at all. He chose China over helping his team win the league, waiting 6 months and getting a move a top league.

I'm simply questioning his desire to play football at the best level he can. He chose China for 5 years. It says a lot. Was the Chinese league the best he thought he could do?

Only an assumption because I know very little about the guy and you could very well be right about all you have said but it wasn't black and white in the region at that time , tensions were very high with the invasion of Crimea

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pete101 said:

Only an assumption because I know very little about the guy and you could very well be right about all you have said but it wasn't black and white in the region at that time , tensions were very high with the invasion of Crimea

I have no idea about anything like that so you may well have a point but it still doesn't explain why he stayed in China for 5 years. To me, that seems a waste of his talents. I'm pretty sure someone in England, France, Germany, Italy or even Portugal would have taken him after say 6 months to a year in China but he stayed there. And let's face it, he didn't stay there for the quality of the football.

If we are to sign a striker, I would like the candidate to have quick feet and a bit of a dribbler ( not down his shirt)

maybe an older one this time, to fill in until Louie is ready.

Edited by TRO