Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Stoke

limpid

Match Polls  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/10/20 at 11:00

Genuinely struggled to pick a MOTM, but I think on balance I think El Ghazi did enough compared to the rest.  But overall that was a properly shit performance.  Credit to Stoke and O'Neill.  Their shape completely nullified us for the majority of that match and the better team on the night went through. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

How did Traore do? He’s the only player that started tonight that is expected to be in our first team this season. 

We all know the other lot are rubbish but we need Traore to be decent if we don’t want to see Trez again this season. 

Average.

It's hard to know if he was stifled by those around him, or just wasn't interested tonight.

Some people may have seen his performance differently, but every time I saw him he was either walking around, or caught flat footed.

He had a few moments where he made stuff happen, but not enough considering the level of opposition.

El Ghazi was the only one who was anything like IMO - I felt sorry for him having to play ahead of Taylor who has literally 0 intent on being attacking.  No idea why people are picking him out for slating.

Overall, it was a poor performance.

• Like 4

Hopefully there won't be an overreaction. Second XI, a few no hopers confirmed they are no hopers, we had most of the attacking intent overall despite an old RB at CB and players like Lansbury in the starting lineup. Shame we didn't have some other decent youth knocking about.

Steer - Decent

Guilbert - Poor

Hause - Poor - not up to scratch

Elmo - Strange him playing CB anyway

Taylor - Decent

Nakamba - Quiet, Decent retention

Lansbury - Dire

Ramsey - Tidy

El Ghazi - Pathetic crossing, decent energy.

Traore - Poor showing, looks better when dropping deeper and a bit more centrally

Davis - Not up to his recent standards

Jota - Right sort of game for him, looked ok (for a squad player)

Watkins - By the time he came in we were just lumping jt

Konsa - Good to see him trying to manage the defence, in hindsight would have been good for him to have started as captain today and play the Mings role.

Edited by Djemba_Villan
  • Like 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

El Ghazi will get lots of hate again but he was miles better than traore. 

El Ghazi actually had one or two good moments, but it was a typical performance from him. A few fancy tricks, but lots and lots of mishit shots he had no right to be taking, and I'm furious with him not sliding in to try to get Davis's cross for a tap in to an open goal.

Traore gets a bit of a pass from me as he's so new, if he was an established player putting in a performance like that I'd want him dropped, he may as well have stayed at home.

Everything El Ghazi touches turns to shit

Hause was a liability

Stoke are big men who close down quickly and physically yet fall over with a breeze

Nobody received the ball to run on to, it was all running away from goal

Just really shockingly bad all over

Elmo 2, everyone else 1

Credit to Stoke. They really put in a shift. Unfortunately, we did not seem bothered, which is really disappointing.

Nakamba and Jota at the end the only bright spots for me.  Hopefully it's just a case of fitness but Traore was absolutely anonymous.  El Ghazi frustrating but at least he was very active. Hause was awful and it's two matches in a row where he made quite a few blunders. Lansbury - uffff!

Edited by nepal_villan

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

How did Traore do? He’s the only player that started tonight that is expected to be in our first team this season. 

We all know the other lot are rubbish but we need Traore to be decent if we don’t want to see Trez again this season. 

He made some good passes, but overall he wasn't brilliant. It could be down to the lack of quality around him though.

Our utter awfulness shouldn’t detract from a job well done by Stoke. Well done to them.

These are games when players should be playing themselves into contention and I’m afraid none of them out there did. I expect little from Henri or Tayls now. But it was Keinan who was most disappointing for me because we seem to be relying on him as our second choice striker until Wes comes back.

Guilbert also seems to have taken his drop down the pecking order badly.

Jota was the only glimmer of a bright spark. Quick feet and some direction. 

What a half-arsed performance, it looked like we were playing a friendly. 

No movement off the ball whatsoever. Not attacking shape, no collective intent to do anything proactive. 

It really speaks volumes that it was el Ghazi to take responsibility to be the attacking outlet and to try to be what Jack is for the first team. 

• Like 2

Â