Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Stoke

limpid

Match Polls  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/10/20 at 11:00

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't hate Guilbert. I'm rather indifferent on him.

But rating him 9 out of 10 for last night is ridiculous imo.

He was ok. I wouldn't be rushing to get him into the first XI based on that.

It was relevant to the whole teams performance and being honest anger at the apathy of some players who get a chance to earn their 35k pw and get completely outshines by a 19 year old who looked proud to be playing a first team game. For me there were a couple players who for the time they were on the pitch gave their effort, thats embarrassingly poor.

The hatred comment wasn't aimed at you, I cant be bothered checking who it was at but apologies if it was wrongly directed at you.

1 hour ago, brummybloke said:

It was relevant to the whole teams performance and being honest anger at the apathy of some players who get a chance to earn their 35k pw and get completely outshines by a 19 year old who looked proud to be playing a first team game. For me there were a couple players who for the time they were on the pitch gave their effort, thats embarrassingly poor.

The hatred comment wasn't aimed at you, I cant be bothered checking who it was at but apologies if it was wrongly directed at you.

No I know it wasn't directed at me, I was just saying I still think it was a crazy rating despite not hating him (i.e. the implication that the only reason whoever it was that laughed at you found the rating bad was that he hated Guilbert)

Well my final thoughts as as much as I would have liked a good league cup run, our priority really this year is establishing ourselves as a solid premier league outfit. I know that is not, a borrow a phrase, romantically nourishing, but is a pragmatic aim. The league cup has been good to us down the years, as recently as last season getting to the final.  Certainly more than the FA Cup as bar 2015 and 2000 our recentish record is dreadful.

However in the cold light of day it is going to be one of the big boys who will win this again. Given the very condensed fixture scheduling everyone is playing their reserve sides. And the better resourced teams have better reserves and therefore more likely to progress. It is a bit annoying given for clubs like Man City winning this trophy is nothing for them (based on them not even selling out in the final in March) and for clubs like us it would be massive but there you go. Modern football for yeah. I mean spuds have won nothing for years and everyone thinks that they are somehow a big club as they finish fairly regularly in the top 4.

12 to  about 14th and no League  cup final will be a more successful season for us then last year.

• Like 1

On 01/10/2020 at 23:32, flashingqwerty said:

Starting 11 - crap

Tactics - crap

Subs - crap

Effort - non-existent

100% on DS today.  A hallmark of his management.  Unable to change a game in our favour if it doesn't start that way.  Pathetic.

Thankfully, it was just a cup game, but highlights how important it is thst we keep the 1st 11 fit for most of the season as our backups are DIRE!

Honestly, of all the things I've seen on this website this is definitely on the most insane posts. Painful. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looking at the stats from the game and it seems like the best team by some margin ended up losing. Come on here and it seems we weren't at a level to deserve the win.

I know stats don't tell all and literally can't illustrate the quality moments of play that determine a match, but forums on a bad day out don't exactly ooze accuracy either.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say we did enough to win but not enough to ensure that to be the case, and consequently Stoke went through today.

Â