Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Stoke

limpid

Match Polls  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/10/20 at 11:00

I know it's 'normal' now to play a massively weakened side in the cup competitions.

But at the end of the day football should only exist for the fans, and fans want to see silverware. 

The idea that rotating the squad can help with a team's season has over and over again been proven to be absolute rubbish and it drives me insane watching us struggle for a chance to reach a quarter final when a stronger team would have breezed past them. Smith knows that team isn't very good, otherwise he would pick them for the starting 11 in the league. It is obviously because the PL is more important for financial reasons, but that's another debate about money changing football.

If football was really about the fans cup competitions would be treated seriously.

I had forgotten how frustrating watching us can be.

Can't complain at the selection as these players comfortably beat a Championship side last week. But I think when it clearly wasn't working, we should have seen a change at half time - I would have gone for Hourihane (are we to assume he will start on Sunday as he didn't play tonight?) or Watkins. By the time Watkins was brought on, Stoke were in full lumps everywhere timewasting mode. 

El Ghazi and Ramsey looked brightest for us but AEG was really wasteful in the last 15/20 mins. Two shocking misses in the first half from Lansbury and Davis. Davis also should have put in a better ball for the one people have had a go at El Ghazi for not sliding toward but he had no chance as the pass was way overhit.

Really annoying as it breaks our momentum. Stoke were there for the taking. Well drilled maybe but didn't threaten much.

Starting 11 - crap

Tactics - crap

Subs - crap

Effort - non-existent

100% on DS today.  A hallmark of his management.  Unable to change a game in our favour if it doesn't start that way.  Pathetic.

Thankfully, it was just a cup game, but highlights how important it is thst we keep the 1st 11 fit for most of the season as our backups are DIRE!

• Haha 1

When your MOTM plays less than 20 minutes it pretty much sums up the teams performance. It really was that dire. Credit to Stoke, I said pre-match 1 goal would probably win it, they've kept 6 clean sheets now, their obviously a tough nut to crack. I think they shaded it, but on chances maybe we deserved to take it to a Jed Steer stare-shoot out! But it was not to be.

Steer, Konsa, Watkins, along with Jota, are the only ones to come out of that from a non-negative point of view. Most were below average with Hause, Taylor, Lansbury and Davis particularly bad. And I'm a fan of Keinan. In fact the latter two were terrible let's not dress it up. 

The thing is, you put Keinan into our first eleven with John, Jack, Ross, & he will look alright, IE one bad game doesn't make him a bad player,  but you have a team like tonight with several poor players under performing and this can always happen. This is why they are our second team. 

I voted Smith poor but I think the players let him down (& themselves) tonight.

With regards the Traore / El Ghazi debate - neither played well but AEG had more of an impact, you can tell Traore has something about him but he looked languid tonight and seemed disinterested in tracking back. I think it's plain to see Trezeguet will start against the reds. AEG was hit and miss, more miss - but at least he did 'try to make things happen. Unlucky with the one mazy run that showed his class but is inconsistency is infuriating. He also looks devoid of confidence. 

Overall a bad night. But hopefully it spurs us into one last purchase in the window. I think we need one. Or two. Or three if we're being greedy. 

Anyway, 3 points on Sunday night. You heard it here first. UTV.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Cacccckkkk! Horrible.

I'm afraid Smith deserves stick here. 

That team was never going to score tonight. Should have tried harder by playing better players imo.

Zero desire or intent. Obviously we care more about the league than the league cup, but THAT much?

Our second string is dreadful. Very poor.

Our second string as a unit may be very poor but they will never play as a team in the league so that’s not a problem. Their role in the club is back up and therefore they need to perform alongside the first teams better players  as individuals, a totally different thing. However too many people on here are so blinkered that they will never allow themselves to admit that Taylor, Lansbury, El Ghazi etc could ever have a good game, let alone contribute to two or three in a row. In the future we may be in a position to have a second eleven as good as the first, not sure Barcelona can manage that but who knows that’s what some on here expect/ demand. Probably going to be disappointed.

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

So when did we last beat Stoke at Villa park?

I think lots of teams lose to Stoke because they are stunned into boredom by the very prospect of having to play them. They are so boring they don't deserve a viable opponent. It's basically an insult to even have to play them. Even their name is boring.

Edited by Lerner's Driver
  • Haha 1

I'm afraid Smith deserves stick here. 

That team was never going to score tonight.

As poor as that team is, we should have scored, if not for Davis and Lansbury making a couple of top quality clearances. We had enough out there on the pitch to create chances to win, and a couple of really poor finishes cost us. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Concentrate on the league. It shows again that Villa often don't really know what to do with lots of possession. We had our good run last season.  Ah well.

Because possession is no use without runners.

Â