Ross Barkley

LondonLax

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

Very interesting video about a "modern" no 10.

As I, and many others on here have alluded to, this discusses the "old" no 10 role where they were excused from most defensive and team duties to be the "creative spark",  however it also discusses the modern re-invention of the no 10, to be still creative, but also require more in terms of teamwork and defensive duties.

I think i have said it a couple of times now, but Barkley seems to me to be the old style of no 10, where tbh.....the modern game just cant accommodate an old school no 10 (generally speaking - yes elite clubs probably could, but not your "normal" teams)

For me, Barkley needs to become more of the "modern" no 10 if he is to succeed, he cant just be the creative outlet but lazy type old school no 10, our team just cant carry a player, its that simple.

I saw this yesterday and thought about what a player like that would do for Villa. Can Barkley be that player? I don't know. If he and the club want to move on to the next level then he needs to be. If you go 4-2-3-1 you need this dynamic 10 described in the video. I think Grealish could do it but that's not something that I want to go in to now. If you go 4-3-3 you need the middle man of the front 3 to drop a la Firmino or whatever midfielder/winger City have decided to play up front this time.

The way that the game is played now doesn't really indulge that old school 10. Look at Özil for a more high profile example. One of the most creative skillful players of the last 10 years but there's no place for him in the PL or any of the other top leagues anymore.

@GENTLEMAN mentioned maybe he could be accomodated if the balance of the midfield was changed. I don't think you get that balance with a 10 that doesn't do the jobs described in the video regardless of who the other two in the midfield are, at least not if you want to be one of the top teams.

1 minute ago, YouUnastanFren said:

If he wants any chance of being England's number 10 this summer he'll need to outshine Maddison today. If he doesn't then it'll be nearly impossible for him to make it with what is left of this season.

I think it's impossible for him to do that in fairness.

Here's the first second and third choices in my opinion:

• First choice -- Grealish------Foden------Sterling
  • Second choice - Rashford----Maddison---Sancho
  • Third choice - Barnes-----Mount------Hudson-Odoi

I think Gareth will take five or six of those players - the depth England have in these positions is extraordinary - I can't see any way Ross gets anywhere near it.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think it's impossible for him to do that in fairness.

Here's the first second and third choices in my opinion:

• First choice -- Grealish------Foden------Sterling
  • Second choice - Rashford----Maddison---Sancho
  • Third choice - Barnes-----Mount------Hudson-Odoi

I think Gareth will take five or six of those players - the depth England have in these positions is extraordinary - I can't see any way Ross gets anywhere near it.

While I'd probably agree with this, I think southgate rates rashford ahead of grealish and mount ahead of maddison. One thing is clear, England have some unbelievable options.

He's either not fit or not arsed. Or both. Whatever it is, he simply cannot be more effective than anybody on our bench.

Why waste resources and hinder the development of Ramsey/integration of Sanson for this luxury player. And by luxury I mean a first-class seat on a Chiltern line from Moor St to Marylebone, and the free wi-fi barely works.

Be glad when he’s back at Chelsea not even making there match day squad, sick of seeing his petulance when he gets subbed, today took the piss sitting on the advertisement’s and walking back without his boots on, Been shit for weeks

• Like 1

Â