Ross Barkley

LondonLax

On 18/02/2021 at 17:55, VillanousOne said:

I may question Dean not dropping Ross, but i am actually a fan of Barkley, was overjoyed and shocked he signed on loan and hoped there was a perm deal in the works.

I think there is a trade off at the moment which means we carry him until he regains full form and fitness, which is risky when we aren't playing well. But also might pay off.

The very same thought that every manager of every team Ross has played for has had to weigh up. He just doesn't deliver enough wherever he's been. Flashes of high quality, but ultimately flatters to deceive. No doubt he can do it and hope I'm wrong, but doubt I am.

22 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

100% agree. He's shite.

He's not shite, is he?

He has quality, as evidenced by the winning goals he's scored for us against Leicester and Southampton. He was also very good against Liverpool and Arsenal, in the first game.

The problem is that he's also totally anonymous sometimes and that drop off in performance is what raises big questions about his value to the team.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

He's not shite, is he?

He has quality, as evidenced by the winning goals he's scored for us against Leicester and Southampton. He was also very good against Liverpool and Arsenal, in the first game.

The problem is that he's also totally anonymous sometimes and that drop off in performance is what raises big questions about his value to the team.

A broken clock is right twice a day. 

Stephen Ireland scored that absolute rocket for us. Doesn't make him any less shit. 

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

Stephen Ireland scored that absolute rocket for us. Doesn't make him any less shit. 

As I pointed out in my previous post, he has been a key figure in us gaining at least 12 points, so yeah he's shit, well argued. 

• Confused 1

Think he's been a huge disappointment on the whole but with the number of games still left on the season he'll be a useful option to have. 

Think he could be a good player to bring on in the last 20-30 minutes in games IF he has the mentality to take that role and work hard when he does play. Obviously that's not a role you pay £100k/w for a player to have but here we are. Rather this than having him start games and mostly be a passenger.

4 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

people who live in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones.....its hardly a post for you, defending El ghazi......He scores some good goals but is not renowned for his work or involvement.

but at least you are right on Ireland.

2 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

El Ghazi has earned us at least 10 points this season and I'd say barkley has cost us at least 14 west ham(3), Brighton (2), Burnley (3), Southampton (first game-3), Leeds (3) due to his shite performances.

On top of that we would have beaten Liverpool without him. Our first 2 goals had nothing to do with him and we had several other opportunities from that. I would also say our 2nd game at Southampton would have been a lot more comfortable had we not being playing barkley and had anyone else in his place. 

I mean....where to start. 

Dwyane Wade What GIF by NBA

Very interesting video about a "modern" no 10.

As I, and many others on here have alluded to, this discusses the "old" no 10 role where they were excused from most defensive and team duties to be the "creative spark",  however it also discusses the modern re-invention of the no 10, to be still creative, but also require more in terms of teamwork and defensive duties.

I think i have said it a couple of times now, but Barkley seems to me to be the old style of no 10, where tbh.....the modern game just cant accommodate an old school no 10 (generally speaking - yes elite clubs probably could, but not your "normal" teams)

For me, Barkley needs to become more of the "modern" no 10 if he is to succeed, he cant just be the creative outlet but lazy type old school no 10, our team just cant carry a player, its that simple.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

El Ghazi has earned us at least 10 points this season and I'd say barkley has cost us at least 14 west ham(3), Brighton (2), Burnley (3), Southampton (first game-3), Leeds (3) due to his shite performances.

On top of that we would have beaten Liverpool without him. Our first 2 goals had nothing to do with him and we had several other opportunities from that. I would also say our 2nd game at Southampton would have been a lot more comfortable had we not being playing barkley and had anyone else in his place. 

I mean, um, I think.... WHAT???? 

Where has el ghazi earned us 10 points and where has Barkley cost us 14 points. Yes, Barkley has been disappointing particularly in recent weeks, but this... THIS is the most ridiculous post I think I've ever seen.

The games he 'cost us', I don't even know where to start.

We conceded 4 at home to Southampton. Is that all on him? If you think it is ALL on him, I'd suggest taking up watching another sport.

Leeds, west ham at home, see Southampton (-1 goal). 

Burnley away, we were fantastic that day but made 3 pretty basic defensive errors, is that on Barkley? Does he get anything for us being fantastic? 

Brighton - I mean, just what? He was particularly poor, no doubt. But not one attacking player came out with any credit, not even jack. Barkley single-handedly cost us 2 points here too? 

Like I said, he's in a poor run of form. I would drop him, no doubt. But to say he's cost us 14 points this season is insane but to then take away any credit he has from winners scored and good performances because 'he wasn't involved in the first 2 goals' or whatever, is kind of defeating the object of your own post if you use the same logic to the defensive errors. No?

18 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

I'd say barkley has cost us at least 14 [points]

So by your reckoning, if we didn't have Barkley we'd currently be on 50 points? which would put us in second place. 6 points behind City with two games in hand.

Have a lie down pal. 

Â