Ross Barkley

LondonLax

43 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I don't think he's got a lescott style attitude. I think he's probably gutted and fed up. 

His career is spiralling down hill. He got his big move and it hasn't worked out. He's come here to prove people wrong, started well and got an injury. He's now struggling and any pipe dream of the euros, getting back into the Chelsea team or a big move in the summer looks dead. 

I think it's more that than anything else. 

I don't think he's done anything to warrant the hate he gets off a large section of our fans.

Apart from casually jogging behind Maddison for the first goal?

Seriously though, I think you're probably right about what might be his frustrations but there's only one person who can turn things around. A sulky half arsed attitude isn't going to get him anywhere. What an opportunity today for him to step up and be counted as someone with loads of experience and determination to play for England again! Southgate watching too! 

He was by no means awful BUT he was attrocious off the ball. Absolutely lazy. Something is clearly not right with him at the moment, perhaps both mentally and physically. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, birdman said:

Apart from casually jogging behind Maddison for the first goal?

Seriously though, I think you're probably right about what might be his frustrations but there's only one person who can turn things around. A sulky half arsed attitude isn't going to get him anywhere. What an opportunity today for him to step up and be counted as someone with loads of experience and determination to play for England again! Southgate watching too! 

He was by no means awful BUT he was attrocious off the ball. Absolutely lazy. Something is clearly not right with him at the moment, perhaps both mentally and physically. 

Well I will say this. In the past 2 seasons I look at some of our players and can clearly see the conditioning is not there. Whether that stems from standards, the manger, the sports science team I don't know.

1 hour ago, Farlz said:

I think he quite clearly knows he's not in good form right now and not playing to what he's capable of, being subbed off the last how many games is proving that. 

Of course the bloke isn't going to be happy, he's in a bad place. I'm not sure he can particularly afford this loan to be a disaster. 

The comments saying you 'hate him' or 'he's a word removed' are just ridiculous. Like seriously get a **** grip. 

Well said.

I dare say he wouldn’t get anywhere near the vitriol he receives if he was our player and not on loan.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I don't think he's got a lescott style attitude. I think he's probably gutted and fed up. 

His career is spiralling down hill. He got his big move and it hasn't worked out. He's come here to prove people wrong, started well and got an injury. He's now struggling and any pipe dream of the euros, getting back into the Chelsea team or a big move in the summer looks dead. 

I don't think he's done anything to warrant the hate he gets off a large section of our fans.

Fitness issues aside, his quality is there still, I just think he's either not fully fit or playing with an injury. The abjectness of some of his performances defensively does raise questions. I do think some of the criticism is certainly justified, some of the levels of it, however, feel like a like how some over-analysed and jumped on the Mings bashing bandwagon.

We saw the quality of his finish against Southampton. His attacking play and positional play is still very good. And we saw how well he and Jack linked up when they were both fully fit. I think there's some issues absolutely. I guess it's what people choose to focus on most.

There's been some real passengers in recent weeks who shoulder criticism too, e.g. McGinn. We are still a much better side than a year ago, I just think we are still finding a way to ensure the level of play is consistent with the quality we are capable of.

I can't get out of my head Danny Drinkwater's manic celebration from the dugout for a Villa goal and my genuine belief that had Villa equalised at 90+4 today, Barkley would have just been sitting in the stands with his head in his hand. No matter how tough it is, no matter how frustrated you are, you show up for the team on or off the pitch. Barkley is not Villa and had there been fans in today, he'd have been jumped and given a pasting if he had the bottle to throw his gear in the Holte. He will drag us down fast - please get rid !

Edited by Paul33
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jim said:

Well said.

I dare say he wouldn’t get anywhere near the vitriol he receives if he was our player and not on loan.

Yep. 

I got the grief players got that season we went down. I really can't understand the hatred towards players who have contributed to this season. The best we've had in what? 10 years? 

His performances deserve criticism, even if I think he gets singled out at times, but no idea how you could hate him at the same level as a lescott

I think that there was a little acceptance from deano today that things aren't quite working in the middle, Barkley played deeper for me. Having seen it not work again, I do wonder if a change in personnel is on the cards, particularly with Leeds high energy. Barkley is the most obvious choice to miss out, but hopefully we will have a player with fire in his belly if he is dropped. 

• Like 1

Personally I think it's overrated but PL experience - 

McGinn, Luiz, Ramsey, Nakamba, chuck, sanson, Hourihane = 177

Barkley = 214

Other than elmo no one comes close to how much experience he's got, more international caps than any of them too and European games 

40 minutes ago, grantholtgolazo said:

Is there anything to the oft repeated theory he has something in his contract where he must be played if fit? I understand players sometimes need to "play through" a rough patch, but this run of poor performances has gone well beyond a patch.

I'm not sure these clauses exist.  This might be an idiotic question but do they include 'non-playing' clauses in Football Manager?  It's the kind of detail they would include if they really exist.  I guess there is an indirect consequence if the player's original club get pissed off that their value has decreased because of not playing much and they won't want to deal with us in the future.

I always thought athleticism was a real attribute of his, but clearly I was wrong. It is really sickening to think of the money he earns but I think for some people getting too much too soon ruins their motivation and attitude for the game. His current contract means his grandkids probably won't have to ever work ffs.

On that note, one of my pet peeves is when a player is singled out for praise for "giving 100%" or "working their arse off". That should be the bare bloody minimum for all players:rant:

The very simple fact is that Ross Barkley doesn’t currently warrant a place in the starting eleven, we were instantly improved when Ramsey came on in place of Barkley. The right thing to do for the team now is to bench Barkley. I think maybe Douglas Luiz or McGinn could easily join him on the bench until they rediscover their form. We need to start getting more minutes for Ramsey, Sanson, and Nakamba. 
Frankly it would be cruel to start Barkley against Leeds, they’ll destroy him. Which in turn means they’d destroy Villa. Now is the time to take Ross out of the firing line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

You conveniently forget to mention how lazy he is whenever you post. Why is that? 

Every time you comment on Barkley you concentrate on why you think he's underperforming.

Is it possible that he might improve if he puts a little effort into what he does? 

As I've said before, being lazy is a choice and it's a choice he makes 

Or is someone else making him lazy? If so, who's responsible?

• Like 1

I think he's annoyed at himself for being out of form, so I don't think he's being disrespectful in outwardly showing his frustration. Think about being in his shoes, he knows he's not going to the Euros and he knows he's going to end up at best in a bottom half Prem side next season or back in Chelsea reserves. 

20 minutes ago, Villa 59 said:

You conveniently forget to mention how lazy he is whenever you post. Why is that? 

Every time you comment on Barkley you concentrate on why you think he's underperforming.

Is it possible that he might improve if he puts a little effort into what he does? 

As I've said before, being lazy is a choice and it's a choice he makes 

Or is someone else making him lazy? If so, who's responsible?

I think the laziness is exaggerated on here. You seem to have a lot of anger towards him. So strange. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I think the laziness is exaggerated on here. You seem to have a lot of anger towards him. So strange. 

I have absolutely NO anger towards him for poor performances. 

Guess what I'm angry angry about? Almost every poster on here says he's lazy. But I guess your never going to acknowledge that are you? 

One lazy player let's the whole team down. Someone mentioned him being like Lescott in attitude and I agree! 

Genuine question: are you happy to see a lazy player in a Villa shirt?

Just now, Villa 59 said:

I have absolutely NO anger towards him for poor performances. 

Guess what I'm angry angry about? Almost every poster on here says he's lazy. But I guess your never going to acknowledge that are you? 

One lazy player let's the whole team down. Someone mentioned him being like Lescott in attitude and I agree! 

Genuine question: are you happy to see a lazy player in a Villa shirt?

He doesn't work as hard as Watkins or Mcginn but he never has and I never thought he'd be that sort of player. Although I would say that he looked much more athletic in his games before his injury. I don't think it's just a case of he's lazy. 

I don't think Dean or any of our coaching staff, especially JT, would stand for it, if it was as simple as he's a fat lazy bastard with a bad attitude like has been invented on here. 

I genuinely don't get the anger towards him. 

Â