Ross Barkley

LondonLax

3 hours ago, ender4 said:

Yes, though before his injury weren’t we saying how good he was and a bargain for the £11m cost for the season?

Or have I imagined that? 🤷‍♂️

To be fair to all concerned, he was playing better then.....hence the favourable comments.

some were tripping over their bootlaces to sign him...pushing notes in Abramovic's hands.

but he was playing fine then.....now, his form has left him, its a different kettle of fish.

i think after Dean claimed, he would get him back in the England squad.....he probably feels obliged to back that up.

Dean has to be given the latitude, to sort him out.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Good point. Unless we watched every Chelsea or Everton games he played in it’s hard to know how good he has been for quite a while. Maybe he has been shit or at least very inconsistent for quite some time now.   

I'd lean towards inconsistency/motivation?

I did watch a couple of Chelsea games, where he came on, and changed the whole dynamic of the game for me.

Looked dangerous and powerful.

This season, under Frank.

Hence why, I was excited when we signed him.

6 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

I think Dean is too much of a Ross Barkley fan boy and in awe of him, rather than a manager who needs to put the team ahead of the player.

He's not going to drop him, I just hope his faith isn't misplaced,

He is our manager, he has to be given the room to manage.....He will be anxious for Ross to return to form...lets hope Jack just had an off night too.

2 hours ago, paul514 said:

Thanks for providing the context for what only the blind can’t see! Also those stats favour him because he was there for the 7-2!

I'm not sure if you're agreeing with me or mocking me

28 minutes ago, TRO said:

He is our manager, he has to be given the room to manage.....He will be anxious for Ross to return to form...lets hope Jack just had an off night too.

ok but how many further poor games do we give Ross before he gets dropped?

I think because he is on loan and being paid 120K a week he won't get the super John McGinn treatment from the fans, i.e. it's ok that he's occasionally good but mostly does nothing.

Edited by VillanousOne

1 hour ago, Villaphan04 said:

interesting point I saw on twitter. created the most chances we had vs Brighton this past weekend.

They weren't very good chances. The first happens in about 22 seconds in the video.

The second one wasn't even good enough to make the video.

No reason imo to use chances created over expected assists. Although using that doesn't really change much.

Every chance we had the game was either created by Barkley or he fired the final shot. It just so happened that we had like only 4 shots and none of them were anything close to good chances.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

On 15/02/2021 at 21:28, WooJung said:

Correlation doesn't imply causation. Watkins has had 2 goals canceled for marginal offsides, and has missed a couple of good chances in Barkley's absence, including a penalty. And sometimes as a striker you only need a goal to get going. Many strikers score on streaks rather than regularly. 

My point in short is that Watkins could easilu have had a few goals without Barkley, and that the goals he scored since Barkley coming back don't seem to have been impacted much by Barkley being on the field. 

But then you need to start making the same adjustments for Barkley. Gets an assist if Traore could finish against arsenal off the top of my head. 

Goals and assists arent everything, my feeling is that when Barkley is on the pitch, he gets closer to Watkins than anyone else and takes more forward positions. This seems missing for me when he is not on the pitch. 

If he gets replace, he gets replaced. Either way I like a number 10 playing in advanced positions and dont want to see another defensive midfielder in the team when we are struggling to create and score goals. If Sanson plays, I hope he isn't constantly tracking back and isolating Watkins.

10 hours ago, TRO said:

Westwood, is much better now, than he was when he was with us.

what we all need to do, when watching a game is to say to ourselves, what exactly is x doing.....and how much is x causing the opposition a problem.

i still think we have a few too many ball watchers.

Don't think he's much different. The atmosphere was toxic and that will effect any player

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Don't think he's much different. The atmosphere was toxic and that will effect any player

The atmosphere was toxic for a reason....what comes first the chicken or the egg?

2 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

But then you need to start making the same adjustments for Barkley. Gets an assist if Traore could finish against arsenal off the top of my head. 

Goals and assists arent everything, my feeling is that when Barkley is on the pitch, he gets closer to Watkins than anyone else and takes more forward positions. This seems missing for me when he is not on the pitch. 

If he gets replace, he gets replaced. Either way I like a number 10 playing in advanced positions and dont want to see another defensive midfielder in the team when we are struggling to create and score goals. If Sanson plays, I hope he isn't constantly tracking back and isolating Watkins.

The paradox is a player who wins the ball is deemed by some as a defensive unit, but in fact its the very thing that starts attacks.....winning the ball, starts attacks...turning it over is crucial and then not giving it away cheaply, is equally as crucial...dominating possession alone does not win games, but without it you can't win games.

you can have a team full of finishers, but who is going to feed them the ball?

we talk at times as if there is no opposition on the pitch.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

I think Dean is too much of a Ross Barkley fan boy and in awe of him, rather than a manager who needs to put the team ahead of the player.

He's not going to drop him, I just hope his faith isn't misplaced,

unimpressed viola davis GIF

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

It's hard to tell, there are many variables one must keep in mind. I thought we were looking very good with Ghazi on the left and Jack playing as a 10, we looked much livelier up front. And like I said, Watkins was still getting chances, he just wasn't converting them. 

Depending on games, I also like us playing with a 10, but in current form I wouldn't have barkley there. Also, McGinn's and to a lesser extent Luiz level of performances lately hasn't really been good enough to support a 10.

Against the likes of leicester in fact I would revert to a "flat" 3 with Nakamba playing centrally. Against other teams I would play Jack behind watkins, with Ghazi on the left. I know he can be very poor at times, but then again, so can Barkley. 

I haven't seen enough of Sanson to make the call, but he looks promising. 

I still think it's a bit early for Ramsay to be a regular starter 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

What an absolute bastard. Everyone knows a relationship needs to be incubated for at least a year before nicknames can be used. Any earlier is incredibly suspicious.

Deano, sorry, Mr. Smith, has probably left his wife for him already. 

Â