Ross Barkley

LondonLax

I may question Dean not dropping Ross, but i am actually a fan of Barkley, was overjoyed and shocked he signed on loan and hoped there was a perm deal in the works.

I think there is a trade off at the moment which means we carry him until he regains full form and fitness, which is risky when we aren't playing well. But also might pay off.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

I may question Dean not dropping Ross, but i am actually a fan of Barkley, was overjoyed and shocked he signed on loan and hoped there was a perm deal in the works.

I think there is a trade off at the moment which means we carry him until he regains full form and fitness, which is risky when we aren't playing well. But also might pay off.

Same here. I was over the moon. I just couldn’t believe how bad he was against Brighton. 

7 hours ago, WooJung said:

It's hard to tell, there are many variables one must keep in mind. I thought we were looking very good with Ghazi on the left and Jack playing as a 10, we looked much livelier up front. And like I said, Watkins was still getting chances, he just wasn't converting them. 

Depending on games, I also like us playing with a 10, but in current form I wouldn't have barkley there. Also, McGinn's and to a lesser extent Luiz level of performances lately hasn't really been good enough to support a 10.

Against the likes of leicester in fact I would revert to a "flat" 3 with Nakamba playing centrally. Against other teams I would play Jack behind watkins, with Ghazi on the left. I know he can be very poor at times, but then again, so can Barkley. 

I haven't seen enough of Sanson to make the call, but he looks promising. 

I still think it's a bit early for Ramsay to be a regular starter 

I think at the end of the day there are way too many variables in professional football matches (especially a stretch of them with varying context) to put any one (or more) statistics down to something as simple as a player playing or not, either way.

• Like 3

On 17/02/2021 at 18:33, ender4 said:

Yes, though before his injury weren’t we saying how good he was and a bargain for the £11m cost for the season?

Or have I imagined that? 🤷‍♂️

To be fair, his first 2 games he was solid.  But if you go back and have a read of the Leeds game comments...

8 hours ago, WooJung said:

It's hard to tell, there are many variables one must keep in mind. I thought we were looking very good with Ghazi on the left and Jack playing as a 10, we looked much livelier up front. And like I said, Watkins was still getting chances, he just wasn't converting them. 

Depending on games, I also like us playing with a 10, but in current form I wouldn't have barkley there. Also, McGinn's and to a lesser extent Luiz level of performances lately hasn't really been good enough to support a 10.

Against the likes of leicester in fact I would revert to a "flat" 3 with Nakamba playing centrally. Against other teams I would play Jack behind watkins, with Ghazi on the left. I know he can be very poor at times, but then again, so can Barkley. 

I haven't seen enough of Sanson to make the call, but he looks promising. 

I still think it's a bit early for Ramsay to be a regular starter 

correct.

Reminds me of Michael Owen recovering from injuries. Even at his peak, when he was out with a biggish injury, it usually took him ten matches to hit form. Then he was back to scoring regularly from Plops long ball game

Since his return from injury, we had the COVID outbreak and essentially a game on Saturday and on Wednesday, so he hasn't been able to train properly. Smith said it has been recovery sessions.

Hopefully now that more training sessions under his belt, he'll get back to doing what he did against Liverpool and Arsenal.

17 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Same here. I was over the moon. I just couldn’t believe how bad he was against Brighton. 

but they all were... outside of the defence.

Edited by TRO

22 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Excuses, excuses, excuses. 

He’s been poor. 

there is about 4/5 that have....but its not prevalent in all games, just some....certain types of games where we get stifled on the ball, we seem to have no answer to it.....we are not good enough to pass and move it a bit quicker, like Man city, to beat the press....It just results in us getting nullified and have to retreat.....we then rely on the defence back 5 to bail us out.

The problem, is a collective problem in relation to the front 6.....I don't think it is Barkley alone, but that is equally not saying he is blameless either.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yes they were all poor but he was invisible. So was Traore to be fair. 

Traore was, but was he ever given the ball, maybe once or twice......players like have to be fed in.....Ross did have the ball to be fair, just couldn't keep it.

If we haven't got the ball, we can't feed anyone in.

1 hour ago, Jono62 said:

Since his return from injury, we had the COVID outbreak and essentially a game on Saturday and on Wednesday, so he hasn't been able to train properly. Smith said it has been recovery sessions.

Hopefully now that more training sessions under his belt, he'll get back to doing what he did against Liverpool and Arsenal.

He wasn’t that good against Leicester (bar the goal), he wasn’t the real answer when we played Leeds and Southampton. I don’t think we can play him against teams that play as Brighton and West Ham, he’s much better when there is some space or when a team set back for a draw. 
We need Sanson to start against Leicester. I’m not sure wether I’m gonna start Trez or Traore either. But it’s not an easy game for sure. We need to be at our best. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

He wasn’t that good against Leicester (bar the goal), he wasn’t the real answer when we played Leeds and Southampton. I don’t think we can play him against teams that play as Brighton and West Ham, he’s much better when there is some space or when a team set back for a draw. 
We need Sanson to start against Leicester. I’m not sure wether I’m gonna start Trez or Traore either. But it’s not an easy game for sure. We need to be at our best. 

I agree....He hasn't got the industry to compete....He has the talent, but not the workrate to match.

Â