Ross Barkley

LondonLax

24 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He could be as good as Lionel Messi but if we have to wait 8 games to see that after a niggly injury then it’s just not worth it, especially if he gets injured frequently. 

Congratulations, you have won Villa Talk. How does it feel?

He should study Huddleston's career and take note. It's his last chance to make the most of his undoubted talent he just has to work harder to get to the required fitness levels to that enable his talent to shine over 90, minutes. 

He's fortunate to play with Jack but it's a double edged card.  When you compare the two he's lacking and that may be a hindrance to him as we all judge him by jack's standards and I haven't seen a player to reach Jack's level for us for ever and a bit some. 

Only just seen that bottle thing, that's nothing like Jack's FFS.

Grealish's was so funny because he wanted to do exactly that but didn't dare, because it's dick behaviour. He sulked like a 10-year-old that had been sent to his room.

Barkley better today but still not up at early levels. No problem particularly with him being unhappy to come off, don't be a wally though Ross. Zero doubts Smith will have a word about that, as he probably did with Jack.

If we sign him, he's also going to be commanding a huge "final" contract probably up with our top earners and I'm just not sure he's worth that. This is the sort of deal badly run clubs like Arsenal have been handing fat 5 year contracts to, and while it could all go OK, it could be that the last two 2/3 years he's doing nothing but hanging around hoovering wages.

Five year contract would cost us over £30m...right now I don't think we should be spending over £15/20m on him, and I think Chelsea will want more.

Note: Not my money, if owners are happy to keep throwing £120m a season in it makes this more likely to happen.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kingman said:

If only he put as much effort and energy into his performances than he did to a bottle of water. 

Pathetic, Seen milk turn quicker. Ramsey covered more ground in 20 minutes than he did in 70. 

Have a horrible feeling he has a bull shit must play if fit clause in the loan agreement. 

On a positive note, we won't be paying £30m for him 

I said this at the time he signed and it does irk me that it could be accurate.

For the £25million (or more) the massive wages and his inconsistency I'd pass on Barkley. Spend the money elsewhere on a better CAM.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Buzzing. I’ve got a list of people I’d like to thank...

(You’ve lost me). 

"He could be as good as Lionel Messi but if we have to wait 8 games to see that after a niggly injury then it’s just not worth it" is one of the most VT things ever. 

:trollface:

He needs to do more than he is doing to justify his place in the starting line up. 

I'm not sure if the reaction to the being subbed was anger at himself for not playing well (acceptable in my mind) or anger at Dean for bringing him off (not acceptable). I worry it was the latter and he feels entitled to be on the pitch every minute of every game, regardless of how he's playing. 

He has to be looking at his performances, and surely he's seeing the stats of what he does in a game (touches, distance travelled, balls won, balls lost, key passes, etc). Surely if he's doing that,  he knows he's the obvious choice for getting the hook. 

There's a quality player in there but, whether due to injury worry, lack of fitness, or lack of desire, he's not on show. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I think some people on here just don't like him. 

Terrible take. Everyone was absolute giddy when we signed him on loan. He's been off since coming back from his injury and though it's abundantly clear he has special qualities he is a liability at the moment. If he had another name on the back of his shirt, the criticism would be 3 fold. Hopefully a proper week of build-up to the next match helps get him back on track, but if it were me I would consider starting Ramsey or Sanson over him. 

3 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

He needs to do more than he is doing to justify his place in the starting line up. 

I'm not sure if the reaction to the being subbed was anger at himself for not playing well (acceptable in my mind) or anger at Dean for bringing him off (not acceptable). I worry it was the latter and he feels entitled to be on the pitch every minute of every game, regardless of how he's playing. 

He has to be looking at his performances, and surely he's seeing the stats of what he does in a game (touches, distance travelled, balls won, balls lost, key passes, etc). Surely if he's doing that,  he knows he's the obvious choice for getting the hook. 

There's a quality player in there but, whether due to injury worry, lack of fitness, or lack of desire, he's not on show. 

The rest of your points are valid, but we were willing to give Jack Grealish the benefit of the doubt on this.

There has been no signs whatsoever that he is in any way 'trouble'. He is picked whenever available and nobody has had a bad word to say about him. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

The rest of your points are valid, but we were willing to give Jack Grealish the benefit of the doubt on this.

There has been no signs whatsoever that he is in any way 'trouble'. He is picked whenever available and nobody has had a bad word to say about him. 

You're right, there's no real basis for assuming he's a bad egg. And it is based on little more than my own thoughts... he's come from a team that finished higher in the league than us, and it makes me expect he'll want to play all the time. I did say its just a worry, rather than a fact, but the worry is there for me.

I guess with Jack, his affiliation with us is a little different from Ross'. Even then, I do think a bit of what he did was because he expects to play every minute of every game, but his performances warrant that expectation, if not his reaction.  I'm also  convinced that reaction wouldn't have happened if he was receiving a standing ovation from the fans as he came off 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

You're right, there's no real basis for assuming he's a bad egg. And it is based on little more than my own thoughts... he's come from a team that finished higher in the league than us, and it makes me expect he'll want to play all the time. I did say its just a worry, rather than a fact, but the worry is there for me.

I guess with Jack, his affiliation with us is a little different from Ross'. Even then, I do think a bit of what he did was because he expects to play every minute of every game, but his performances warrant that expectation, if not his reaction.  I'm also  convinced that reaction wouldn't have happened if he was receiving a standing ovation from the fans as he came off 

Fair points. 

I had a look back and thought this line was probably closer to the mark...

Generally though, I like to see a bit of passion and always assume it is coming from a good place, until proven otherwise. This is not a dig at you, but I think the game has been sanitised heavily over the last few years. Seeing an athlete pissed off used to be the norm!

• Like 1

Not going to dis any player for not being happy going off as long as it ends quickly and isn't abusive or petulant.

I always had my doubts about Barkley from a fitness and consistency point of view and I'm afraid I still have them.

However, I like him. He's fitted in well with the lads on and off the pitch" is capable of utter brilliance and if he can get and stay properly fit, I'd love to see what he can do in a Villa shirt from here on in.

Lets see how its gone at the end of the season before deciding if its a deal that should happen.

His reaction was clearly frustration with himself. The week off should do him the world of good to get some recovery time and finally get minutes on a training pitch rather than a game. Still one of our most important players and a danger man. 

Thought he played better against Arsenal than he did against West Ham. But, for mine, there was 1 incident that spoke volumes about Barkley - and it wasn't him kicking a bottle and being stroppy. Rather, it came from his replacement.

In the 87th minute a loose touch from Ramsey saw him turn the ball over just in the opposition half while under pressure. He immediately chased the ball with intent (albeit only about 10 yards), put a foot in, won it back and got it to Grealish. That minor play did nothing, as Jack ended up losing it himself - but I found myself saying "Barkley would never have done that".

And therein lies the biggest issue with Ross: He offers nothing off the ball which means when he's not delivering while on the ball.....

... what's the point in playing him?

I would definitely be purchasing Barkley if it were me - for what he's done so far but also for the player he will consistently be, playing under Dean Smith - I mean I think we can now say with confidence that given a run in this side players just get better. Absolute no brainer IMHO. 

Â