Ross Barkley

LondonLax

7 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Five year contract would cost us over £30m...right now I don't think we should be spending over £15/20m on him, and I think Chelsea will want more.

I wouldn't pay 15m for Barkley.

He is not for me.

Injury prone. Doesn't work hard. Inconsistent. No thanks.

• Like 4

Was told by a Chelsea mate when we took him on that Barkley will always play for the name on the back of his shirt, not the badge on the front and I can totally see that. He really is not very good beyond the odd moment of skill on the ball. He is lazy, his work ethic off the ball is shocking and he seems the opposite of everything Smith is trying to create at Villa. His hissy fits and cold stares when he gets subbed are the final straw for me. He's not Villa and never will be ..... just get rid before he does damage in the locker room.

Edited by Paul33
  • Like 1

Some of the criticism is way over the top. He's been good, he's won games and points for us, he links up well with Grealish, he gives us an extra dimension that no one else in the squad does. So he doesn't have Ollie's work rate? Boo hoo, not many do.

Villa aren't likely to be in a position to attract better than him in the summer. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The thing that would put me off it being permanent is his injury record.

He is clearly going through a poor spell after an injury so we have been watching him not at his fittest.

At the moment he looks lazy, slow and his passing and decision making is not sharp. 

He needs to be sub for the next couple games to show him that if form drops, so do you.. to the bench.

1 minute ago, brummybloke said:

The thing that would put me off it being permanent is his injury record.

He is clearly going through a poor spell after an injury so we have been watching him not at his fittest.

At the moment he looks lazy, slow and his passing and decision making is not sharp. 

He needs to be sub for the next couple games to show him that if form drops, so do you.. to the bench.

I agree 100% but this won’t happen, It definitely needs to but it won’t

1 hour ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

Some of the criticism is way over the top. He's been good, he's won games and points for us, he links up well with Grealish, he gives us an extra dimension that no one else in the squad does. So he doesn't have Ollie's work rate? Boo hoo, not many do.

Villa aren't likely to be in a position to attract better than him in the summer. 

He doesn't even have Jack Grealish workrate.

What makes you think we won't be able to attract better than him in the summer?

We attracted HIM in the summer, in a worse position, after a terrible season.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think I'd drop him until he is completely match fit. No point sticking him out there if this is his current level. Hurts him, hurts the team and gets the fan base completely irrational.

Like I said previously, I wouldn't be against signing him for £ 20 - 30 million, but I think we can find better value for money else where.

Ultimately if we do sign him, he has a major point to prove. Cause nobody have been impressed by Ross Barkley so far. 

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think I'd drop him until he is completely match fit. No point sticking him out there if this is his current level. Hurts him, hurts the team and gets the fan base completely irrational.

Like I said previously, I wouldn't be against signing him for £ 20 - 30 million, but I think we can find better value for money else where.

Ultimately if we do sign him, he has a major point to prove. Cause nobody have been impressed by Ross Barkley so far. 

You only get match fit by playing.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, QldVilla said:

You only get match fit by playing.

But not only by playing PL matches. He needs to get up to speed at BMH first. He doesn't even look close to being match fit. If that's how he plays and contributes at his fittest, then I hope we never sign him.

• Like 1

Just now, KenjiOgiwara said:

But not only by playing PL matches. He needs to get up to speed at BMH first. He doesn't even look close to being match fit. If that's how he plays and contributes at his fittest, then I hope we never sign him.

You can only get so fit on the training pitch, the rest is game time.

Personally giving him a pass at the moment because of the time he was off injured. Don’t know if I like him for a permanent move, he’s not worth more than $25m.

20 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Personally giving him a pass at the moment because of the time he was off injured. Don’t know if I like him for a permanent move, he’s not worth more than $25m.

You're in Oz. Was that deliberately written in dollars because for 14 or 15 million pounds he'd be a steal.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

That's fine, but the point is that you don't throw in a player that is unfit in the mix like you're suggesting. There are degrees of match fitness. Barkley looks like he's 50-60% there. You'd give him game time when he's around 90% ready. The rest is done at BMH. You don't let an entire club suffer cause one player needs match fitness. 

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

That's fine, but the point is that you don't throw in a player that is unfit in the mix like you're suggesting. There are degrees of match fitness. Barkley looks like he's 50-60% there. You'd give him game time when he's around 90% ready. The rest is done at BMH. You don't let an entire club suffer cause one player needs match fitness. 

Maybe it's just genius, devious work by DS to have Barkley looking poor right now so his fee in the summer plummets.

Edited by a-k

1 hour ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

I agree with the first bit but not the second

We do need a player in his position and role, I think that's why Dean likes him so much and persists with him, we have to have someone who can link up with Jack and play in the space that doubling up on him creates, in theory and in form Barkley is that player, none of out other midfielders can do it

But I think in the summer for £30m to £40m as our number 1 transfer target we should be able to find better 

• Like 1

Â