Ross Barkley

LondonLax

I think he deserves time to get back to fitness, but he's been poor since his return and I agree we should probably use our budget elsewhere in the summer. He's a very talented player but his injury record and the time needed for him to regain fitness makes it a hard sell. We want to be ambitious but we could be a lot smarter in our recruitment. We can't afford passengers if we want to go to the heights we want and Barkley will never be happy to sit on the bench.

• Like 1

I like Barkley but in games where we will be in a hard midfield battle I think we would be better off dropping him and bringing in another CM. Ross plays as a floating No. 10 which is fine when we have a lot of possession but exposes us badly against better opposition. If he wants to keep his place then he really needs to be providing goals and assists every week, since we sacrifice a lot in midfield to play him. 

• Like 2

I don’t think Barkley is totally at fault here (unless he’s insisting on being played).

If he’s not fit enough to do the work, he shouldn’t be playing that many minutes.

This is why I hate loans so much.  If he was our player, I could see the sense in playing him to fitness.  But we are in a no win situation here.  Play him through his poor fitness levels, and if he plays REALLY well, the. Either you don’t get to buy him, or you double his value.  If he doesn’t come good then you’ve played a weak team for no reason.

We did it with Drinkwater, and now we’re doing it with him.

He should be the one coming on at 60 minutes, hungry for action, and a point to prove.  This undroppable status isn’t helping anyone. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

He openly said a week ago he has played more minutes than he has trained, the question is whether it's going to be a long term thing where he can stay fit enough to train properly then put the effort in for 90 minutes for an extended period.  I don't remember effort being a problem before the injury, you only have to be slightly off the pace in the Premier League to look like you can't be arsed or a luxury player.

I really don’t understand this as an excuse.

It’s like Gabby saying ‘Yh, I ain’t trained for 12 months, and I’ve eaten more kebabs than I’ve played games.’ and the fans saying ‘ohhhhh, that explains it! Yh ok, carry on.’

He’s saying he’s not fit. Why is he starting then??

2 minutes ago, Thug said:

I don’t think Barkley is totally at fault here (unless he’s insisting on being played).

If he’s not fit enough to do the work, he shouldn’t be playing that many minutes.

This is why I hate loans so much.  If he was our player, I could see the sense in playing him to fitness.  But we are in a no win situation here.  Play him through his poor fitness levels, and if he plays REALLY well, the. Either you don’t get to buy him, or you double his value.  If he doesn’t come good then you’ve played a weak team for no reason.

We did it with Drinkwater, and now we’re doing it with him.

He should be the one coming on at 60 minutes, hungry for action, and a point to prove.  This undroppable status isn’t helping anyone. 

Good point. But if he was fit on a regular basis and in form - he'd still be at Chelsea.

Play him, see what he can do , I think he is quality whose not quite in the groove after a couple of months out with injury.

We've made massive strides over the past couple of seasons. I don't think we are in a position yet - to be turning our noses up at the likes of Ross Barkley.

29 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Is it very adult to form your opinion on pure conjecture? By all means wonder, but to actually form an opinion on something you have no evidence for is odd.  

I think most of us form opinions based on what we see with our own eyes. Sometimes those opinions aren't backed with evidence when it comes to human behaviour. If that makes me odd then so be it. Guilty as charged. Similar to my opinion of you tbh. Unfortunately, I dont have any factual evidence to go against what I think so I'm going to have to go on my gut instinct in this instance. 

• Like 1

Airing on the side it was frustration with himself more than anything when he came off, overall wasn’t that bad today getting sharper and minutes under his belt will be good for him - let’s not forget who we have actually played (and there form) since his lengthy lay off.

Like others have said, was respectful to Ramsey and Deano, and was still watching the team wanting the win.

jury is still out for me, but he does have class - and cream will always rise to the top at some point

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Nobody said that when Grealish was subbed. I thought it showed he cared. 

i did. i absolutely loathe it. grealish in a way i disliked it more because he's the captain

but grealish puts in a hell of a shift though. barkley was lazy today and then threw a tantrum.

43 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Is it very adult to form your opinion on pure conjecture? By all means wonder, but to actually form an opinion on something you have no evidence for is odd.  

To be fair mate, the guy presented it as his impression - not as fact.  To jump on him for that was a bit harsh.  I see you apologised, for which u deserve credit, and I think it should be left as that.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Who the hell wants a player who's happy when he's subbed off? 

i don't. but then i don't think any player is exactly happy about it?

but for me there's a chasm of difference between being unhappy about being subbed off and showing total disrespect and throwing an unprofessional strop

once upon a time an experienced player probably made way for a young ross barkley to add to his first team minutes. he should grow the **** up and show a bit of professionalism

13 minutes ago, Thug said:

I really don’t understand this as an excuse.

It’s like Gabby saying ‘Yh, I ain’t trained for 12 months, and I’ve eaten more kebabs than I’ve played games.’ and the fans saying ‘ohhhhh, that explains it! Yh ok, carry on.’

He’s saying he’s not fit. Why is he starting then??

It's nothing like that, he was injured for over a month and then the training ground got shut for a couple of weeks when he was coming back.  

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i don't. but then i don't think any player is exactly happy about it?

but for me there's a chasm of difference between being unhappy about being subbed off and showing total disrespect and throwing an unprofessional strop

once upon a time an experienced player probably made way for a young ross barkley to add to his first team minutes. he should grow the **** up and show a bit of professionalism.

He kicked a bottle. That was it. 

I don't really care if he kicked a bottle or whatever. He should have been better on the pitch, and that's been a theme of late from what I can see.

As things stand, no way should we be paying the circa 30m transfer fee that Chelsea would want, not to mention his high wages. We need to look for better players for that money unless he bucks up his performances.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Barkley is the weak link in the team since he came back, he needs to be dropped.

Ramsey made him look sluggish and lazy when he came on.

Now it may be because he isn't fit and hasn't trained much....... well let him train and bench him for a couple of games, we have a whole bunch of players who can play as a central attacking midfielder.

• Like 1

Â