Ross Barkley

LondonLax

10 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think that the player who came on for him yesterday is possibly his long term replacement. Pretty good cameo when he came on at the end. 

Indeed, but would Jack then throw a tantrum at us not signing his "mate" permanently?

Or would he see the bigger picture?

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He doesn't even have Jack Grealish workrate.

What makes you think we won't be able to attract better than him in the summer?

We attracted HIM in the summer, in a worse position, after a terrible season.

Jack has very good work rate as well tbh.

I don’t think we’d be able to attract players that are a tier above Barkley, especially as it seems we’d need to make a mini rebuild of the squad with a few players leaving. 

We attracted him because he wasn’t going to get games at Chelsea after their new arrivals. I wonder what kind of player you’d have in mind to replace him with? Prem teams rarely sell regular starters to other prem teams unless it’s for obscene money. 

11 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

Terrible take. Everyone was absolute giddy when we signed him on loan. He's been off since coming back from his injury and though it's abundantly clear he has special qualities he is a liability at the moment. If he had another name on the back of his shirt, the criticism would be 3 fold. Hopefully a proper week of build-up to the next match helps get him back on track, but if it were me I would consider starting Ramsey or Sanson over him. 

Not sure as I thought he performed well yesterday. But we all have different opinions I guess

3 hours ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

Some of the criticism is way over the top. He's been good, he's won games and points for us, he links up well with Grealish, he gives us an extra dimension that no one else in the squad does. So he doesn't have Ollie's work rate? Boo hoo, not many do.

Villa aren't likely to be in a position to attract better than him in the summer. 

Spot on!

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think that the player who came on for him yesterday is possibly his long term replacement. Pretty good cameo when he came on at the end. 

Top early too compare the two. Ramsey still way too green

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

Even thou he is unwanted at Chelsea I still expect them to demand around £40m for him and I expect him to want at least the same salary he's on there, likely a fair bit more even so close to or the same as we give Grealish if he signs a new deal as is rumored.

I just don't think he is that good a player on average. Now if we could get him for around £15m-£20m and moderate wages I'd be tempted but I don't see that happening. And even then I rather look elsewhere tbh.

Same here I think.  As it stands, he's had three very good games, been injured a lot, and had some OK/mediocre/poor games. He's obviously got the rest of the season to impress, but I think the combined outlay on transfer fee and wages would be too high for somebody that inconsistent.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

I don’t think we’d be able to attract players that are a tier above Barkley, especially as it seems we’d need to make a mini rebuild of the squad with a few players leaving. 

We don't necessarily need to attract players " A tier above Barkley ", what if we can attract players at the same tier of Barkley for half the price from overseas?

The second bit highlights even more why we should be weary of the first bit.

As @DCJonah said though, perhaps by the end some of us current doubters could want to sign him permanently.

Also, as another poster said, I too, was ecstatic when we signed him.

Haven't changed my view on his qualities, just also now seen other things up close which I don't like as well.

I've always been consistently in the wait till end of season camp. 

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

I won’t spend 30m to be honest. He’s a good player but at certain games he’s our weakness. For 20m, I think he’d be a good signing, could probably get him less by current rates and by his current performances. 

• Like 1

Why are you talking about whether we should buy him? We can see almost half a season before making that decision. It's about how he's playing now and how we could get the most out of him this season.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Indeed, but would Jack then throw a tantrum at us not signing his "mate" permanently?

Or would he see the bigger picture?

I think and hope as I’m sure we all do, that he see’s the bigger picture. It has to be said too, that despite his huge importance to the club at the moment, we can’t have players, not even Jack, deciding who or who we don’t sign. That has to be the coaches and recruitment team. I’m pretty sure mates or no mates Jack cares about AVFC and his own career above other players careers. 

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

You're in Oz. Was that deliberately written in dollars because for 14 or 15 million pounds he'd be a steal.

Yes it was. And at this point in time IMO he hasn’t proven he’s worth much more than £15m. Chelsea bought him for that figure in 2018, has he really proven that he’s worth more? That may change over the rest of the season, but remains to be proven.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

That's fine, but the point is that you don't throw in a player that is unfit in the mix like you're suggesting. There are degrees of match fitness. Barkley looks like he's 50-60% there. You'd give him game time when he's around 90% ready. The rest is done at BMH. You don't let an entire club suffer cause one player needs match fitness. 

Don’t believe I suggested to throw him in the mix at all. The degrees in match fitness aren’t as significant as your suggesting. Your referring to their base fitness and is more likely why he is struggling because he was unable to keep the miles in his legs while he was injured. Therefore when he came back he’s coming off a lower base. 

At the end of the day, the coaching staff think it’s better to have an 80% fit Barkley on the field, then not at all.

11 hours ago, QldVilla said:

Don’t believe I suggested to throw him in the mix at all. The degrees in match fitness aren’t as significant as your suggesting. Your referring to their base fitness and is more likely why he is struggling because he was unable to keep the miles in his legs while he was injured. Therefore when he came back he’s coming off a lower base. 

At the end of the day, the coaching staff think it’s better to have an 80% fit Barkley on the field, then not at all.

As much as I love smith for everything that he’s done at Villa, let’s not pretend he’s without errors in judgement.

The same coaching staff thought that Danny Drinkwater at 5% match fitness, coming from a loan spell where he couldn’t get into a poor Burnley team, was the answer to our midfield problems.  Worse still - continued to play him, despite him being comfortably the worst player I have seen in a villa shirt - in the blind faith that he would by some miracle rediscover the form of a few seasons ago.
A blind faith that almost cost us our premier league status.

He frequently will persist in leaving players on the pitch when they are obviously gasping for air, and leave 3 sets of fresh legs twiddling their toes on the bench.

I love the man - but spotting a knackered player is not his strongest trait.

And after his little tantrum, I wait to see if Barkley gets a full 90 in the next match even though he’s crawling around after 60.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, QldVilla said:

Yes it was. And at this point in time IMO he hasn’t proven he’s worth much more than £15m. Chelsea bought him for that figure in 2018, has he really proven that he’s worth more? That may change over the rest of the season, but remains to be proven.

I remember thinking at the time that they got him pretty cheap. It was probably due to the long injury the season before. If I was making the decisions I'd probably stretch to 20 million pounds but that's about it. I would however be waiting until the end of the season also to make the decision.

9 months ago we were talking about how we rebuild the midfield if we are relegated which, at the time, looked fairly likely. We've gone from panicking about losing Grealish and giving Lansbury a new 10-year deal to now where we are debating whether or not we should sign Ross Barkley permanently.

It's crazy how far we've come in such a short space of time.

Â