Ross Barkley

LondonLax

7 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

On the flip side he should scored at least one of his chances. If he starts the remaining 17 games he has to score at 5 goals. And assist another 4/5 goals. Asking a lot but he has the ability to do it. 

If it was Ghazi we were talking about here there are some that would be making excuses for him not scoring.

Let's face it we win let's be happy for once about a win everyone.

It's not even the defensive effort that annoys me that much it's his decision making (and speed of it), particularly when we break and get him the ball in plenty of space. I think he'd be better off just running at their goal a lot of the time.

He has a lot of natural talent, but I couldn't care less if we sign him in the summer as I'm sure there must be plenty of players as good for the money it would take.

I didn't/don't get the impression that his reaction to being subbed is necessarily being pissed off with himself. Something leads me to believe that he thinks we should be grateful of his presence rather than him seeing it as his opportunity to showcase. I see a player who is owed rather than someone with a point to prove. Maybe I'm wrong but he's not creating an argument against my view imo.

1 minute ago, avfc1982am said:

I didn't/don't get the impression that his reaction to being subbed is necessarily being pissed off with himself. Something leads me to believe that he thinks we should be grateful of his presence rather than him seeing it as his opportunity to showcase. I see a player who is owed rather than someone with a point to prove. Maybe I'm wrong but he's not creating an argument against my view imo.

As long as you know there is no evidence for anything you've said.

Played a lot better today, but we needed to take him off in the last 20 minutes to get some fresh legs on.

Unfortunately he's a bit of a luxury player who needs to be in a side who control games with possession and intricate passes. We have been that side in games this season, but in some games such as today we are unable to play in that way and then end up carrying Barkley through periods of the game. I also don't think his fitness is back to the levels it was in his first few games for us.

Brighton next up is a great chance for him to prove himself, but Sanson and Ramsey are now breathing down his neck.

Smith's told him he will get him into the Euro's squad, and he has the team around him and the ability to do just that. It's now upto him.

• Like 1

Just now, avfc1982am said:

This isn't a court case. It's an opinion. What you on?

Apologies. It's just amazing seeing a paragraph of something really made up. I know you said you acknowledged that too, so I get you see that. 

I liked what he did today, right time to sub him but you can see his quality, sometimes he keeps it in his back pocket but he would be an excellent permanent addition and the strop tells me he wants to do well for Villa. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Stinking attitude coming off. Lack of respect especially when he offered little 

Lol Grealish did the exact same thing a few weeks back. I think it’s more wanting to play then a lack of respect. 

I've slated him in the last 3 matches but he was (marginally) better today. But still lady imo.

The less said about his shooting, the better.

I still wouldn't pay anything near £30m for him!

1 minute ago, Rolta said:

Apologies. It's just amazing seeing a paragraph of something really made up. I know you said you acknowledged that too, so I get you see that. 

Grow up. Most posts are based on opinions or observations. Not every statement has to produce factual evidence.ffs. 

1 minute ago, avfc1982am said:

Grow up. Most posts are based on opinions or observations. Not every statement has to produce factual evidence.ffs. 

Is it very adult to form your opinion on pure conjecture? By all means wonder, but to actually form an opinion on something you have no evidence for is odd.  

I honestly fail to see what an extra £30m and £80k per week gets you over Hourihane.

In fact, Hourihane is likely to get more goals and assists, and his set pieces were phenomenal.  Both are equally poor without the ball.

It really is like buying a name.  No thanks.

Unless in the next few matches he suddenly doubles his work rate.

As for the petulance in coming off, he acknowledged Smith, he did the tag with Ramsey, so I think it was frustration in himself more than anything alas.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Looked a *lot* better today. Hopefully he's getting back to fitness.

I guess this is proof that everybody sees things differently, but I thought he was easily our poorest player.  Not much in the way of work rate, and takes too long to do most things when he gets the ball.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Thug said:

I honestly fail to see what an extra £30m and £80k per week gets you over Hourihane.

In fact, Hourihane is likely to get more goals and assists, and his set pieces were phenomenal.  Both are equally poor without the ball.

As for the petulance in coming off, he acknowledged Smith, he did the tag with Ramsey, so I think it was frustration in himself more than anything alas.

Like I said in the Conor thread, it feels like Barkley and Conor are very similar players. And like with Conor, I do feel the need to defend Barkley here. 

I think there's definitely a place for players like Hourihane and Barkley. Even if their work rate is poor, their goal and assist threats will always be vital when we need a goal. 

I agree though, he's not a massive improvement over Conor and I feel like we may be able to do better with 30m.

23 minutes ago, Thug said:

Because Connor has proved time and time again he hasnt got the work rate or physicality to cut it week in week out in the Premier League. He would have been destroyed today I can guarantee it. 

I will also add I thought Barkley was very good today despite showing frustration at being subbed. Think he wanted to have scored that's all. 

Edited by birdman

2 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Like I said in the Conor thread, it feels like Barkley and Conor are very similar players. And like with Conor, I do feel the need to defend Barkley here. 

I think there's definitely a place for players like Hourihane and Barkley. Even if their work rate is poor, their goal and assist threats will always be vital when we need a goal. 

I agree though, he's not a massive improvement over Conor and I feel like we may be able to do better with 30m.

Yes.

So ideally come on when we’re chasing a game and need a spark.

Unfortunately, can’t afford to be spending £30m for a super sub.

19 minutes ago, Thug said:

He openly said a week ago he has played more minutes than he has trained, the question is whether it's going to be a long term thing where he can stay fit enough to train properly then put the effort in for 90 minutes for an extended period.  I don't remember effort being a problem before the injury, you only have to be slightly off the pace in the Premier League to look like you can't be arsed or a luxury player.

• Like 1

Â