Ross Barkley

LondonLax

Let's hope he has recovered and plays a blinder for the rest of the season, i'm sure if he does a Mings and proves everyone his injury record is a thing of the past then we can look at signing him.

If he continues to struggle with injuries then I guess we won't.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

£30 million we won't be paying for someone who will play barely half a season.

Madness!

Problem is most fans have already put him into the " Tammy/Benteke/Snodgrass etc. bRiNg hiM hOmE " category in record time and will accept nothing less. lol

Regardless of reason or feasibility.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Problem is most fans have already put him into the " Tammy/Benteke/Snodgrass etc. bRiNg hiM hOmE " category in record time and will accept nothing less. lol

Regardless of reason or feasibility.

Nonsense. It's that £30m doesn't buy you what you think it does.

In order to buy proven Premier League quality for that price you are going to have to take on some kind of flaw with it. In this case, it is injury risk. 

2 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

Let's hope he has recovered and plays a blinder for the rest of the season, i'm sure if he does a Mings and proves everyone his injury record is a thing of the past then we can look at signing him.

If he continues to struggle with injuries then I guess we won't.

No sorry VT has already decided he is crocked. SeNd HiM bAcK.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Nonsense. It's that £30m doesn't buy you what you think it does.

In order to buy proven Premier League quality for that price you are going to have to take on some kind of flaw with it. In this case, it is injury risk

You say is as if it's a tiny risk, add his wages to the 30 mill and how much does it come up to?

And who has decided " sEnD hIm bAcK " ( References your other post ) , always the extremes when disagreeing on here.

As usual let's do the sensible in between ( As it seems the club are doing ). See how he progresses through the end of the season, if he stays fit etc. What other options might be available? Buy Sanson as reinforcement for half the price, if he comes good, and Barkley does well and is fit for a decent percentage of the season, bonus, buy Barkley and we have both.

If Barkley breaks down multiple times for the rest of the season, or doesn't perform up to expectations, then we already have another solid midfielder, and can then, if we so choose to, buy a Barkley esque replacement. Or we could just buy him because thats what some fans think and be stuck with someone on Jack like wages who plays half a season. Restricting the money we have to purchase other players or a replacement.

I'm happy the club seem to be well run and know what they are doing anyway, so we don't have to. Reckless decisions are what nearly broke us in the first place.

I mean obviously most, if not all of us would be FOR signing Barkley if it makes sense, as i'm sure is the Clubs outlook.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You say is as if it's a tiny risk, add his wages to the 30 mill and how much does it come up to?

And who has decided " sEnD hIm bAcK " ( References your other post ) , always the extremes when disagreeing on here.

As usual let's do the sensible in between ( As it seems the club are doing ). See how he progresses through the end of the season, if he stays fit etc. 

Which is exactly what I suggested. He will still cost £30m because market value. You don't have to agree we should pay it, but it's not as laughable as yourself and Zhan made out?

Fyi - I was referencing your bRiNg HiM hOmE post for giggles. Pot, kettle etc etc 😉

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

If we got Ross Barkley, for 30 million, I'd be thrilled. 

We'd have one of the select few players in the league who went from hottest prospect worldwide, to realising that potential and becoming a class PL player and international.

30 million in todays market. And he's still 27. Could easily play over 100 fixtures for Villa yet.

He hasn't had a problem with his hamstring in two or three years, and when he did last have an issue, it could be that it wasn't treated as well as it might've been.

Other than the hammy, I don't see how is injury history is cause for concern.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

If we got Ross Barkley, for 30 million, I'd be thrilled. 

We'd have one of the select few players in the league who went from hottest prospect worldwide, to realising that potential and becoming a class PL player and international.

30 million in todays market. And he's still 27. Could easily play over 100 fixtures for Villa yet.

He hasn't had a problem with his hamstring in two or three years, and when he did last have an issue, it could be that it wasn't treated as well as it might've been.

Other than the hammy, I don't see how is injury history is cause for concern.

you've missed the part where he stopped being a regular PL starter and international, partly down to Chelsea not starting him but mainly due to injuries. He made 27 and 21 appearances in the last two seasons at Chelsea. Bare in mind this is a Chelsea side who really haven't been that good in recent years.

I think he is an incredible talent, but he needs to partially resurrect his career with us or another club as he isn't going to be first choice at Chelsea. Hopefully he does it with us. But even that depends on his hamstrings.

Edited by VillanousOne

8 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Madness!

I think that's a bit premature as if he starts tomorrow and then barely misses a game for rest of the season he'd have featured in 29 games for us and we didn't have him around for first two.

If he comes back and then misses another two months of season then yeah it's a big question mark over signing him full time.

28 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

you've missed the part where he stopped being a regular PL starter and international, partly down to Chelsea not starting him but mainly due to injuries. He made 27 and 21 appearances in the last two seasons at Chelsea. Bare in mind this is a Chelsea side who really haven't been that good in recent years.

I think he is an incredible talent, but he needs to partially resurrect his career with us or another club as he isn't going to be first choice at Chelsea. Hopefully he does it with us. But even that depends on his hamstrings.

I think you're missing something.

Kante, Kovacic, Jorginho, Willian, Pedro, RLC, Mount, Pulisic and last, but not least, Hazard all were part of Chelsea's lineup for some if not all of those two seasons mentioned. Only five starting positions are going to be allocated at most to any one of those players. If you look at those names, and you look at Barkley starting 21 and 27 games, you see he's been given the  green light for nearly half of Chelsea's fixtures, and, bare in mind, that he was injured for 9 and 10 games in each of those two seasons. Meaning he wasn't available for selection anyway. Have another look at the names in that lineup, and tell me he's not a PL starter, or international quality.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It's a worry that this is the second hamstring injury he has suffered, the first being a rupture. I can't seem to find the info on whether it is the same hammy, but either way this is something that will no doubt need to be carefully managed going forward. 

The foot injury is just one of those things. Bone spurs can be placed on the 'shit happens' pile.

I would say let's see if he can make it through to the end of the season relatively unscathed and reassess. If we can nab him for say 30 million quid, even if he only plays 25-30 times a season it's a bargain. 

This.

On 14/01/2021 at 14:42, sne said:
INJURY HISTORY

Season Injury from until Days Games missed
20/21 Hamstring Injury Nov 21, 2020 - 54 days 11Aston Villa
20/21 Ill Jul 15, 2020 Jul 23, 2020 8 days 2Chelsea FC
19/20 Foot Injury Dec 13, 2019 Dec 23, 2019 10 days 2Chelsea FC
19/20 Foot Injury Oct 19, 2019 Dec 5, 2019 47 days 11Chelsea FC
17/18 Hamstring Injury Feb 2, 2018 Mar 30, 2018 56 days 9Chelsea FC
17/18 Hamstring Injury Aug 14, 2017 Dec 26, 2017 134 days 29Everton FC
14/15 Ligament Injury Aug 18, 2014 Oct 9, 2014 52 days 9Everton FC
13/14 Fractured Toe Jan 6, 2014 Jan 27, 2014 21 days 3Everton FC

The hamstring thing is a big worry for me

This isn't all that concerning. Didn't miss any days in 18/19 and only missed 13 all of last season. Which probably includes cup competitions. 

Yes he reinjure his hamstring but he has only done it twice. He isn't exactly injury prone. 

If you look at Jack's he missed 42 games in 3 seasons. Barkley has only missed 26 in the last 3. And whilst he had that big hamstring injury he missed a full season of football probably something like 38 of 45 available games. It was one time.

And whilst his injury is currently a bit concerning the length of the injury has been extended due to our covid protocols and he probably only injured himself due to how many games we played in such quick succession. 

Screenshot_20210119_233626.jpg

Edited by MotoMkali
  • Like 2

Think a lot of posters have forgotten how good our midfield looked when Ross was in the team. He hasn’t even been injured that long, I’d love to sign him permanently he would be a brilliant signing for us. Players get injured all the time, Jack was out for ages few years back, it happens.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I think you're missing something.

Kante, Kovacic, Jorginho, Willian, Pedro, RLC, Mount, Pulisic and last, but not least, Hazard all were part of Chelsea's lineup for some if not all of those two seasons mentioned. Only five starting positions are going to be allocated at most to any one of those players. If you look at those names, and you look at Barkley starting 21 and 27 games, you see he's been given the  green light for nearly half of Chelsea's fixtures, and, bare in mind, that he was injured for 9 and 10 games in each of those two seasons. Meaning he wasn't available for selection anyway. Have another look at the names in that lineup, and tell me he's not a PL starter, or international quality.

he's not a PL starter, or international quality.

He's not a PL starter 'for Chelsea anymore' or they wouldn't have loaned him to us, and he wasn't starting much before that. He isn't currently international quality as 'he's not being picked for England' these are facts.

He's not a PL starter for us either as he's injured.

Should he be a PL starter, yes, for us, when not injured (hopefully starting today)

Is he international quality 'yes when not injured and when playing regularly' he should be in the England squad, if not the starting 11.

You quote all these Chelsea names ahead of him but contradict yourself by inferring he should play ahead of them because he is international quality (surely?). Also Pedro was sh*te at Chelsea.

I am not questioning his talent and quality at all, just pointing out his injury record and lack of starts have hampered him or he wouldn't be at Villa currently.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Which is exactly what I suggested. He will still cost £30m because market value. You don't have to agree we should pay it, but it's not as laughable as yourself and Zhan made out?

Who knows... Fat Frank might get the sack and any potential new manager might not even want to sell him?

Just a thought.

21 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Madness!

I’m all about the numbers. 

he needs goals and assists. How many games isn’t as much of an issue but would mean he’s need to be phenomenal every time he comes back to the side. 

Certainly gives the physios and doctors their chance to earn their bread and butter when it comes to managing players fitness.

You’d want Barkley to be hitting close to Jack numbers (roughly 1 goal and 1 assist every 6 matches)

Barkley currently 1 in 10. Caveat being how many of his 208 matches have been bit part substitutions at Chelsea. Quite a few I imagine. 

if he plays half a season he should end with 3 goals and 3 assists, that’s not £30m worth of return over a contract. 

So he does need to be playing more than he has this season. Providing he comes back and doesn’t get injured again should mean he plays over 2/3 of the season. 

Â