Emiliano Martínez

hippo

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Emi doesn't strike me as the type who is a disloyal money grabber who would just jump ship right now.

Seems an extremely genuine bloke who wants to be where he is loved and respected, and feels a part of something.

Also, we are allowed to have and KEEP top players, since we are trying to get where those clubs are.

It's actually frustrating to see this type of post in every well performing player thread we have without fail .lol

Our owners are no mugs.

By no means am I saying we have to accept the bid nor that Emi wants away. 

More so that he is just playing so well I'm struggling to think of any GKs who you can say are better than him. That by itself is going to attract the attention of top teams. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

He had so little to do last night and yet when we needed him he was the rock we've come to expect. Games can turn in a moment and there were a couple of those moments last night where they could have pinched a goal and it could have changed the complexion of the game but Emi snuffed them out. That is what the best keepers do and the best teams always have a keeper that can do that, I think Emi is worth 15 points a season for us, the impact he has had is just remarkable.

Definitely agree with this. He makes it all look so easy. 

The one incident from last night he snuffed out that sticks in my mind is where Mings blocked the Carroll header near enough on the line. It fell back towards Carroll who was reacting quicker than Cash, but Emi pounced on the loose ball and ended the danger. I’m not sure all keepers would have been as reactive. 

People have been praising Darlow, but you’d never see Emi jump like Darlow did for Watkins goal last night. A pathetic attempt, with his arms inexplicably by his side?!

• Like 1

Emi spent 10 years at Arsenal who went from goal keeping crisis to goal keeping crisis during his time there without so much of a peep from him.

Almunia, Fabianski, Szczseny, Mannone and Ospina all there during his time at Arsenal. (despite the improvement some had since, there were a lot of questions about them at Arsenal)

He's going nowhere.

Don't know if this has been mentioned in here before but he currently has the highest post shot xG minus Goals allowed out of any keeper in the Premier League. In other words, their model suggests he's the best shot-stopper in the league.

https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/keepersadv/Premier-League-Stats

Edit: Technically, I should be looking at it in terms of per90 but it tells pretty much the same story.

Edit2: Top of the table last season too if you count the 8 matches in the PL he had with them in terms of per90 stats. Arsenal really were seating in a gem of a goalkeeper that they gave away to us on the cheap.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

He had so little to do last night and yet when we needed him he was the rock we've come to expect. Games can turn in a moment and there were a couple of those moments last night where they could have pinched a goal and it could have changed the complexion of the game but Emi snuffed them out. That is what the best keepers do and the best teams always have a keeper that can do that, I think Emi is worth 15 points a season for us, the impact he has had is just remarkable.

Agreed. And given how those 15 points have/will contribute to our final league placings it's difficult to argue against the fact that he's probably already paid back his fee. 

We'll do incredibly well to sign a more important player (keeping Jack aside) over the next 5/6yrs. 

What a signing this has turned out to be. He's so calm and assured, claims everything he should and also makes some top class saves.

He makes the whole defense calmer as well and provides an extra outlet when they are pressed by the opponents so that they or he doesn't have to boot it to high heaven more than absolutely necessary.

Not to take anything away from , Mings, Hause, Targett, Cash and especially Konsa who's been greatly improved but Martinez is the glue that holds it together. 

9 clean sheets in 17 PL games so far and only 18 conceded is top stuff.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Don't know if this has been mentioned in here before but he currently has the highest post shot xG minus Goals allowed out of any keeper in the Premier League. In other words, their model suggests he's the best shot-stopper in the league.

https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/keepersadv/Premier-League-Stats

Edit: Technically, I should be looking at it in terms of per90 but it tells pretty much the same story.

Edit2: Top of the table last season too if you count the 8 matches in the PL he had with them in terms of per90 stats. Arsenal really were seating in a gem of a goalkeeper that they gave away to us on the cheap.

Calculating Figure It Out GIF

• Haha 3

I was a bit confused when we bid £20 million for a goalkeeper.

Almost breaking our transfer record and spending a large portion of our transfer budget for a keeper just didn't seem like a sensible thing to do.

And that's why I'm not a football manager.

Absolutely sensational bit of business. Our defence have been solid this season; but in reality a lot of it stems from having Martinez behind them.

I've not seen a keeper as assured as this man in all of my time watching Villa. He is so reliable, collects everything so calmly and pushes the ball away from him so firmly. His wrists seem to be made from steel.

When Heaton joined people mentioned a good keeper can earn you 10-15 points a season; Martinez is going to earn us even more than that.

• Like 3

What a difference a keeper makes, 2 seasons ago I was panicking everytime the likes of Preston or Rotherham came past the half way line with nyland in goal. These days I'm not even flinching or breaking a sweat with the likes of KDB or Salah being in the box with Emi in goal. First time in years where a keeper in the team is becoming one my top 3 players in the squad and pushing for first bar jack in that .

One moment in the second half last night summed up both Emi and the general attitude of the team. 

Under a bit of pressure from Newcastle - ball comes in and (almost in one movement?!) Emi claims in, lands and immediately kicks it 60 or so yards straight to Ollie’s feet as he looked to counter. 

Just fabulous. He really is. 

• Like 1

I think we might be getting a bit hyperbolic about how many points a good goalkeeper is going to earn us. Even if "more than 15 points as season" is just 16 points, that means our keeper has to make saves above and beyond what a standard keeper could not that either turn a draw into a victory 8 times (or turn a loss into a draw 16 times). There's only 38 games in a season.

Martinez is awesome but buying him alone would not have moved us from finishing 17th on 35 points to above Everton in 12th with 51 points last season. The reason we're flying this season is because all of our players are vastly improved, not just our goalkeeper.

If at the end of the season we can look back at the results and pinpoint 10 points that we earned specifically due to extraordinary saves he made at pivotal points in the game then that means he'll have had an incredible season for us. I think you'd need to build a brick wall in front of your goal if you wanted to see it earn you 15-20 points from goalkeeping alone imo.

Edited by Panto_Villan

1 hour ago, Panto_Villan said:

I think we might be getting a bit hyperbolic about how many points a good goalkeeper is going to earn us. Even if "more than 15 points as season" is just 16 points, that means our keeper has to make saves above and beyond what a standard keeper could not that either turn a draw into a victory 8 times (or turn a loss into a draw 16 times). There's only 38 games in a season.

Martinez is awesome but buying him alone would not have moved us from finishing 17th on 35 points to above Everton in 12th with 51 points last season. The reason we're flying this season is because all of our players are vastly improved, not just our goalkeeper.

If at the end of the season we can look back at the results and pinpoint 10 points that we earned specifically due to extraordinary saves he made at pivotal points in the game then that means he'll have had an incredible season for us. I think you'd need to build a brick wall in front of your goal if you wanted to see it earn you 15-20 points from goalkeeping alone imo.

For me who has already got us 6 points from the Sheffield United game and the Wolves game. There may be other games but those 2 immediately spring to mind in which he has a had a positive effect on the outcome of a match.

1 hour ago, jace-utv said:

For me who has already got us 6 points from the Sheffield United game and the Wolves game. There may be other games but those 2 immediately spring to mind in which he has a had a positive effect on the outcome of a match.

The games start to blur together a bit after a while, but I seem to remember he saved a penalty Vs Sheffield right?

I think a key penalty save is definitely one of the times you can say a keeper saved / won his team points. But turning a draw into a win is only 2 points. I think its pretty rare you can point to five separate occasions a player has done that in a season (let alone eight), even if they are top drawer players.

Anyway, don't want to derail the thread too much. I just think he'll have done an amazing job if he earns us even 10 points through goalkeeping heroics.

8 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Definitely agree with this. He makes it all look so easy. 

The one incident from last night he snuffed out that sticks in my mind is where Mings blocked the Carroll header near enough on the line. It fell back towards Carroll who was reacting quicker than Cash, but Emi pounced on the loose ball and ended the danger. I’m not sure all keepers would have been as reactive. 

People have been praising Darlow, but you’d never see Emi jump like Darlow did for Watkins goal last night. A pathetic attempt, with his arms inexplicably by his side?!

Maybe he was worried about handball 

1 hour ago, jace-utv said:

Sure, but there's nothing to say that another keeper wouldn't have saved that penalty or made those saves in the Wolves game. The difference isn't between Martinez or no keeper at all, it is the difference between Martinez and Heaton, or another average PL goalkeeper. It's almost impossible for a single player to be worth 15 points a season above average, if we had those kinda metrics in football even Grealish is unlikely to be worth that > average PL winger 

However, he is undoubtedly one of the best in the league and consistently so. One thing that stood out for me yesterday was the confidence with which our outfielders are happy to wallop the ball back to him from all angles, knowing that he will calmly control it, and look to build again. He has added another dimension to our attacking phase, never mind the defensive one. Delicious signing. 

Â