Emiliano Martínez

hippo

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

It's not that terrible.  Strangely, as well, he's played a comparatively large amount of games against the better sides:

Wins with Olsen in goal:  Spurs, Hibs (twice), Legia, Burnley
Draws with Olsen in goal:  Brentford, Chelsea
Losses with Olsen in goal:  Man City, Stevenage, Liverpool, Man Utd, Newcastle, Everton

He's not a great keeper, he won't be here after this season but he's not a completely hopeless guy in goal at all.  The drop off from Martinez to Olsen is big, but he's still good enough for us to beat, say, Brighton.  If we can't do that it'll be because the rest of the starting eleven haven't turned up rather than just Olsen.

I know the picture you are attempting to paint....but is it entirely fair?

I can think of other goal keepers in the league, where, those results, might have been the same.

Let's be fair, we have been spoilt with Emi as we was with Bozzie.

I think some of those losses, were as much the defence as a whole's issue.....not just Olsens.

The eye test tells me, we rely on the goalie too much at times.....who has saved us umpteen times, to get positive results.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, est1874 said:

Worried about Brighton now.

Build up is very important against Brighton. So he's a loss. He's a loss regardless of what game he's missing for. 

Let's hope this rumour he's out for 2 weeks isn't correct 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

Might be able to make Brighton if all goes well...

Fingers crossed he is fit for Brighton. It's a massive game we need him for them all

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

I know the picture you are attempting to paint....but is it entirely fair?

I can think of other goal keepers in the league, where, those results, might have been the same.

Let's be fair, we have been spoilt with Emi as we was with Bozzie.

I think some of those losses, were as much the defence as a whole's issue.....not just Olsens.

The eye test tells me, we rely on the goalie too much at times.....who has saved us umpteen times, to get positive results.

This is down to our style of play though and how Unai wants to set us up.

It's essentially one big risk / reward calculation, and it relies on a really strong GK at the back.

This is why the lack of a strong backup for Emi is such a concern - we cannot play the way we want to, with any confidence, unless he (or similar) is there. It's not possible.

So we either 1) need a quality backup GK much closer to Emi's level, which is a huge challenge, or 2) need a different way of playing football if/when he is not available... which Unai doesn't really want to do, as he doesn't want us compromising on our style.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, est1874 said:

This is down to our style of play though and how Unai wants to set us up.

It's essentially one big risk / reward calculation, and it relies on a really strong GK at the back.

This is why the lack of a strong backup for Emi is such a concern - we cannot play the way we want to, with any confidence, unless he (or similar) is there. It's not possible.

So we either 1) need a quality backup GK much closer to Emi's level, which is a huge challenge, or 2) need a different way of playing football if/when he is not available... which Unai doesn't really want to do, as he doesn't want us compromising on our style.

I don't buy that, in the context you have presented it. Unai sets us up to win a game, with the personnel, at his disposal.....if that means just outscoring teams, that's where we are currently at.

I don't think for one second, Unai is happy with the amount of goals we have conceded this season, despite our offensive haul....He will not be happy on how we surrender leads so easily either, and I don't believe its how he wants us to play.....its just needs must, with what we have, personnel wise.

You only have to look at the places, he wants to go.....and see the goals against for those teams, while still competing with us on goals scored.....He wants to be doing that too.

We are WIP.....and the next stop on Una's journey, with us, is....tighten up. I will be amazed if he has no interest in doing that, because you simply cannot challenge for the top prizes, conceding the goals we do......both number and quality.

Some of the goals we concede are sloppy and avoidable.....and it's not always the back 4, its midfield too... we are wide open and too easy to play through, against certain teams.

I do believe, he will address it.....he's too intelligent not to.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I don't buy that, in the context you have presented it. Unai sets us up to win a game, with the personnel, at his disposal.....if that means just outscoring teams, that's where we are currently at.

I don't think for one second, Unai is happy with the amount of goals we have conceded this season, despite our offensive haul....He will not be happy on how we surrender leads so easily either, and I don't believe its how he wants us to play.....its just needs must, with what we have, personnel wise.

You only have to look at the places, he wants to go.....and see the goals against for those teams, while still competing with us on goals scored.....He wants to be doing that too.

We are WIP.....and the next stop on Una's journey, with us, is....tighten up. I will be amazed if he has no interest in doing that, because you simply cannot challenge for the top prizes, conceding the goals we do......both number and quality.

Some of the goals we concede are sloppy and avoidable.....and it's not always the back 4, its midfield too... we are wide open and too easy to play through, against certain teams.

I do believe, he will address it.....he's too intelligent not to.

Well, you're not correct unfortunately if you're trying to claim that Unai's stylistic approach with us is purely pragmatic. It is his style of play. Clean sheets have never been his goal as a manager, his intention is always to outscore the opposition, which of course creates risk, but he likes that and is confident in his abilities and his team's abilities to "score one more".

His stats in La Liga before coming to us cost this out: despite winning a lot more games than he lost, his goals for to goals against were 654 : 488. Broken down as far as it can go, that's only a tiny fraction better than 4 : 3.

As I've said, Unai's style is always a risk reward calculation, and it's mostly been working for us (with a great goalkeeper between the posts, hence my original point).

Either way, if you're hoping for a scenario where we don't ship many goals, you'll be a long while hoping.

Edited by est1874

5 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Well, you're not correct unfortunately if you're trying to claim that Unai's stylistic approach with us is purely pragmatic. It is his style of play. Clean sheets have never been his goal as a manager, his intention is always to outscore the opposition, which of course creates risk, but he likes that and is confident in his abilities and his team's abilities to "score one more".

His stats in La Liga before coming to us cost this out: despite winning a lot more games than he lost, his goals for to goals against were 654 : 488. Broken down as far as it can go, that's only a tiny fraction better than 4 : 3.

As I've said, Unai's style is always a risk reward calculation, and it's mostly been working for us (with a great goalkeeper between the posts, hence my original point).

Either way, if you're hoping for a scenario where we don't ship many goals, you'll be a long while hoping.

I simply think you are wrong.

What he has done in the past, with other clubs, is probably what he has had to do, the same as with us. He has been with us no time, so WIP is well and truly on.....I can almost Guarantee, he will have one eye on how many goals we have conceded and another on how we let teams back in from winning positions.....these will be on his agenda.

I can categorically tell you, we won't win the big prizes, having scant regard, for defending and I don't believe unai needs me to tell him......Unai is playing a way, right now, that gives him the best chance of winning, with the personnel he has......that's all he can do, so our style as you call it, will be borne out of that.

If you think we have to change our style, to concede less goals, I think you are wrong again...becoming more resilient, does not necessarily mean, compromising the scoring of goals.....That is not so.

If you trawl back through recent seasons, all the top 4 teams have a dedicated focus, on conceding few goals.....whilst scoring freely.

It's a fallacy to suggest, we can reach the heights Unai wants to reach, conceding heavily or in excess of 50 goals.....

I have every confidence he will be looking at shoring up our defence,( whole team) next season, without compromising, goals scored or our style of play.....The top 3 have proved this season alone, that attractive football can go hand in hand, with a tight defence....check out previous seasons.

What did Fergie say?....."Goals fill stadiums, Defences win trophies"

There is no compromise to be had....we just have to defend better, to achieve the top places.

Posted (edited)

Tonight again shows his reputation precedes him. If he took half as long their keeper took over kicks he’d have been booked 

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Like 1

For me the only one with leadership qualities and stands up when he has to pulls of a top safe to.keep us in the game no else is close to him doing anything similar.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Tonight again shows his reputation precedes him. If he took half as long their keeper took over kicks he’d have been booked 

Exactly.  In truth Emi is really bad at time wasting, he looks so guilty all the time.

Past 3 halfs of football show how important he is to us.  Forget the saves he would have made that olsen didn’t, he controls the tempo of the game with ball at his feet and can pass to create an attack.  Plus gives defence and midfield so much confidence.

If we have to sell a player, hes top of my list of players not to sell.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Not risking him is essentially giving Brighton 3 points. You might aswell forfeit the game, take the lads to the beach.

You a fan of Olsen, or?

The problem we have is, Emi is more than a goalkeeper, he's the 12th Man.

We are relying on him, too much and he is central to everything we do.

He wallows in the involvement and the action, but when he is out, we look vulnerable.

I think Emi has saved us, when he shouldn't have had too, and we have come to expect it. We would have conceded far more without him, but it has masked over our defensive flaws.

I am not sure, how much of a climb down Olsen is.....or is he is just not protected enough?

Many times I have watched games and thought, without Emi, we would have lost, and we have actually won......I am not sure, how much that registers with some or is it just taken for granted?

• Like 1

On 28/04/2024 at 13:31, DJBOB said:

Going to be a race. Hopefully a precaution to make sure he’s available for the 2nd leg. 

We'll get him ready...............

JAMES BOND ON THE RACK 2.jpg

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

i would risk him (if he is fit).

Absolutely. If we lose to Brighton and spurs manage to pick up points against Liverpool 2 hours later, they’re back in the race for top 4. 

If Emi can play, he should play.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

The problem we have is, Emi is more than a goalkeeper, he's the 12th Man.

We are relying on him, too much and he is central to everything we do.

He wallows in the involvement and the action, but when he is out, we look vulnerable.

I think Emi has saved us, when he shouldn't have had too, and we have come to expect it. We would have conceded far more without him, but it has masked over our defensive flaws.

I am not sure, how much of a climb down Olsen is.....or is he is just not protected enough?

Many times I have watched games and thought, without Emi, we would have lost, and we have actually won......I am not sure, how much that registers with some or is it just taken for granted?

Him and Ollie are our 2 matchwinners. The 2 most important players. One saves goals  the other scores goals. Emi has a post shot xg minus goals...ie who has stopped the most goals being scored of +6.8 .  The best in the league. 

Ollie has 19 non penalty goals from a 15.4 xg. . Again up there with the best in the league..

Emi 100% is vital to us. Not only for how we play, but the fact he gets us out of the siht time after time. He is an extraordinary goalkeeper .

• Like 1

Â