Emiliano Martínez

hippo

2 hours ago, onmeedson said:

all coaching guidelines for the last few years have adapted the european approach of punching or parrying the ball

Somewhat ironically, I remember Guzan, after being generally very good at claiming crosses during his first run in the side, saying in an interview that he was finding it really difficult to learn to punch and parry, which is what the coaches here were telling him to do. Went against his instincts, and he became less effective once he stopped catching. (They also changed his penalty saving technique for the worse, which was a shocking decision given his initial heroics.) 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, the_eristic said:

Somewhat ironically, I remember Guzan, after being generally very good at claiming crosses during his first run in the side, saying in an interview that he was finding it really difficult to learn to punch and parry, which is what the coaches here were telling him to do. Went against his instincts, and he became less effective once he stopped catching. (They also changed his penalty saving technique for the worse, which was a shocking decision given his initial heroics.) 

Yep Guzan was really refreshing in 12/13 after Given in claiming so many crosses and corners throughout that season. Considering we still conceded plenty I dread to think how many we'd conceded if Given had stayed in, Bradford said enough about his level that year.

He just lost his confidence a bit and no way back after the Aguero miskick. Bad decision not to replace him in summer 2015.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the_eristic said:

Coaching fundamentalism kills a lot of footballers (and sportsmen more generally - cricket is the worst sport for it).

One of the nice things about Smith's setup is he clearly allows players to do things their own way, so long as positionally they follow his system.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

Can anyone remember a Villa keeper in Premier League history that caught the ball as much as Emi does? I know he's a giant but blimey does he have great ability at catching a football. 

Every time I watch other teams, I look at some keepers make a save and think to myself "Emi catches that". You see them parry what look like tame shots away for corners just to be safe because they don't trust their handling. Emi just says "gimme that, it's mine". It seems minor but it shows just how good he is. Even the saves he makes from tricky shots rarely bounce too far from his body if he doesn't catch it first time.

7 hours ago, Villarocker said:

Can anyone remember a Villa keeper in Premier League history that caught the ball as much as Emi does? I know he's a giant but blimey does he have great ability at catching a football. 

Guzan in his first season under Lambert was pretty good at it

Last night watching the Liverpool game and Allison punched a corner away which was an easy enough catch. The ball went miles in the sky and was only landing in the box still. Keeping heeps of pressure still on.

Not sure why anyone tries to teach that shit. 

We are so lucky. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Villarocker said:

David James was amazing (some would say crazy) at coming for crosses.  I never had the confidence with him though that I do with Emi.

2 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

Playing devil's advocate here but punching the ball away is an extremely useful skill. 

Yeah but it's never going to be as useful as catching it and immediately throwing it to Grealish to start a counter.

Martinez can punch it if necessary, the PL reckon he's made 2 in his Arsenal career, it's just that he has the rare ability to be able to choose to do a superior alternative in almost any scenario where a punch would be useful.

This guy has won us a good number of points already. He has made crucial saves, at key times several times so far. I can think of at least Sheff U, Wolves, Palace, Chelsea, Leicester, Liverpool where with a lesser keeper we would almost certainly have gained fewer points. He is my signing of the last 10 years. Absolutely love him.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Stephen Warnock has named him as the GK in his one to watch in 2021 team as part of MOTDs hot prospects 

😂😂😂

I feel "hot prospect" undervalues him quite a bit. It's not anyone watches him and says "he'll be great in a few years", is it?

On 31/12/2020 at 09:14, TreeVillan said:

Playing devil's advocate here but punching the ball away is an extremely useful skill. 

Honest question, when is punching it away ever better than catching it? I can't really think of any situation.

Some of the best keepers like Buffon always preferred to punch the ball. Punching is like zonal marking, if a mistake happens you can blame it for weeks. 

Each keeper has a personal preference and whichever suits them better

14 minutes ago, Greenfly said:

Honest question, when is punching it away ever better than catching it? I can't really think of any situation.

I would say you can get a higher reach to punch then you can to catch as only need one arm. So I think there are many occasions where punching is the best option. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Some of the best keepers like Buffon always preferred to punch the ball. Punching is like zonal marking, if a mistake happens you can blame it for weeks. 

Each keeper has a personal preference and whichever suits them better

Catching it can be dangerous too. We’ve seen instances of keepers dropping it. Isn’t that how we lost an FA cup final once?

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I would say you can get a higher reach to punch then you can to catch as only need one arm. So I think there are many occasions where punching is the best option. 

Fair enough, but the ball would have to be about 11 feet in the air before Emi couldn't get a good grip on it.

• Like 1

Â