Emiliano Martínez

hippo

28 minutes ago, Greenfly said:

Honest question, when is punching it away ever better than catching it? I can't really think of any situation.

If you are unsure that you can catch it cleanly.  Punching away at least means you can reset yourself for a potential another attack where if try to catch and fumble it's 50/50 that it lands unfavourable to you and your team and for a goalkeeper that means a goal.  Just the basic odds really.  I think the more recent way of punching more often that saving has brought up this conversation, it seemed to be the in thing of punching, but for me it doesnt take away from occasionally needing to punch the ball away rather than attempting to catch it.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Catching it can be dangerous too. We’ve seen instances of keepers dropping it. Isn’t that how we lost an FA cup final once?

Carson was one that annoyed me, he would come for crosses he shouldnt be near and drop them

1 hour ago, Greenfly said:

Honest question, when is punching it away ever better than catching it? I can't really think of any situation.

It's basically the same as a headed clearance but with the advantage of the keepers reach. 

You'll find not many keepers punch away in situations that are easily catchable. They do it when it's safest to do so. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hippo said:

Beyond the real deal - unnoticed but he kept us in it tonight.

I know Cash has gotten some deserved plaudits, but Martinez was the clear MOTM for me. Made some fantastic saves, and his only foot wrong was one too-quick throw-out. He's just an excellent goalkeeper.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I know Cash has gotten some deserved plaudits, but Martinez was the clear MOTM for me. Made some fantastic saves, and his only foot wrong was one too-quick throw-out. He's just an excellent goalkeeper.

I actually can't think of that many saves he made. Fernandes one was world class and he parried an early one from Martial but apart from that....

18 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I actually can't think of that many saves he made. Fernandes one was world class and he parried an early one from Martial but apart from that....

Came out of his area twice in moments when he could have let their forwards get behind the defence, or even worse got cold feet and got caught in no mans' land, and dealt with both perfectly (though the second was offside, but the flag hadn't gone up).

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Came out of his area twice in moments when he could have let their forwards get behind the defence, or even worse got cold feet and got caught in no mans' land, and dealt with both perfectly (though the second was offside, but the flag hadn't gone up).

Neuer MOTM in every single Bayern Munich and Germany game?😉 That sort of keeper sweeper style was taken to crazy extremes by him a few years back. Would cost the odd goal but saved plenty over the season.

2 hours ago, hippo said:

Beyond the real deal - unnoticed but he kept us in it tonight.

Hard to say, he made a lot of saves but most looked easy enough. Would a keeper like Nyland have done the same 🤔

His sweeping tonight was really good though. Elite level

Some great saves and distribution from him. The save onto the bar from Fernandes was top class. 

Thought he was really unlucky that the pen was so good, as he got down and across really well, but the shot was so well placed he didn’t stand a chance. 

Â