Emiliano Martínez

hippo

Slightly off day for him but still one of the best goalkeepers in the league.  And only because we expect top level from him.

Hope he’s back to his best next match and the rest of the season.

Edited by ender4

Cant help but feel bad for him when we concede poor and freak goals.

His general brilliance doesn't deserve it, but only so much he can do.

Pope for Burnley also shows just how important a top keeper is.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Cant help but feel bad for him wen we concede poor goals.

His general brilliance doesn't deserve it, but only so much he can do.

Pope for Burnley also shows just how important a top keeper is.

Yup - one keeper was in top form - the other maybe dipped slightly........fine margins.

41 minutes ago, hippo said:

Big test for him now. It's been plaudits all the way since he got in the Arsenal team last season.

I hope we aren't about to discover why he was in Arsenal reserves for so long.

Exactly. He wasn't in the game today. Konsa lost his marbles in the first half when Emi didn't come out of his box for a long ball and Konsa got into trouble for it.

Second goal was all him. The other goals weren't perhaps his fault, but he seemed slow and out of position in the third one. 

Pope was better hands down, now let's see Emi bounce back from this! 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

What did he do wrong tonight?

I didn't see him fumble any shots or miskick from backpasses.

He actually made a really good reaction stop at 1-1 which is being forgotten.

Shows how high his standards are if people are looking at him stopping some of the goals.

It's incredibly harsh - he's been brilliant for us.

But IMO EM of Oct/Nov/Dec - stops two of those goals tonight.

Thus far Emmy has been stopping shots he has no right too ...tonight imo he dipped slightly from that.

• Like 1

Just now, hippo said:

It's incredibly harsh - he's been brilliant for us.

But IMO EM of Oct/Nov/Dec - stops two of those goals tonight.

Thus far Emmy has been stopping shots he has no right too ...tonight imo he dipped slightly from that.

I'll have to see the Wood header again on MOTD, I just thought it was a top class header that he angled perfectly into the corner. Perhaps Emi could've moved his feet better but it's a difficult one spinning away from him.

Second one is just very awkward to deal with, he's sort of waiting on striker to get a touch but in the end it just goes in anway so have to credit McNeil for hitting it in exactly the right area. Young scored the odd goal like that for us swinging in crosses like that.

• Like 3

Just now, AV82 said:

If he makes 20 wonder saves he's allowed 2 not-so-great saves when let down somewhat by the defence. He even made a fantastic reaction save in the first half so I feel the criticism is harsh.

I think we all agree he's allowed an off night after his heroics so far. However, that doesn't mean can't be criticised. I felt tonight was an off-night for him. Hopefully it's a one-off.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AV82 said:

If he makes 20 wonder saves he's allowed 2 not-so-great saves when let down somewhat by the defence. He even made a fantastic reaction save in the first half so I feel the criticism is harsh.

It's not really critiscm and hasn't done much wrong. But put it like this if you rated all Emis performances since he joined us - tonight would be toward the lower end.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

No chance on corner, Wood header went in off the post, he had rest of goal covered. Arguably at fault on McNeil goal but still debateable

Didn't exactly come off the post. Wood had to make his own pace with his header.  Reminds me of the Pele header which Banks saved, so to be fair would have taken a great save. 

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

What did he do wrong tonight?

I didn't see him fumble any shots or miskick from backpasses.

He actually made a really good reaction stop at 1-1 which is being forgotten.

Shows how high his standards are if people are looking at him stopping some of the goals.

Yes we expect him to save those because of the high standards he has set. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Was the second goal the first mistake he has made? Says more about his high standard, and wasn't that big a mistake. 

Not a mistake he is expecting the forward to get a touch just one of those things.

• Like 2

Â