Emiliano Martínez

hippo

It’s been asked before, but it has to be asked again, what on earth were Arsenal thinking? ? ?

he has been a revelation. I don’t break out in cold sweats when we pass the ball to him, he is a serious shot stopper and just looks in control all the time.  I’m sure he will make mistakes (everyone does) but what a foundation for our defence - he must fill them with so much confidence.

3 minutes ago, Sgl said:

It’s been asked before, but it has to be asked again, what on earth were Arsenal thinking? ? ?

It's been the cock up of the century on their part. 

3 hours ago, Sgl said:

he has been a revelation. I don’t break out in cold sweats when we pass the ball to him, he is a serious shot stopper and just looks in control all the time.  I’m sure he will make mistakes (everyone does) but what a foundation for our defence - he must fill them with so much confidence.

I was on arsenal AFTV other night for there win against chelsea, I was constantly mocking there fans for Martinez and trying to throw abit of support to our old freind Tammy. It all failed though really considering they won, so my attempts at Mocking them was all for nothing.

The one guy on AFTV was not liking my negative comments and he said he wasnt going to bother replying to any negative comments only the positive ones. I then replied I am being positive about Martinez that we took him from  for peanuts really and the rest of your keepers are no where near as good.

All in all hes been amazing for us and I to do not know what Arsenal were thinking, but I'll keep rubbing them over it because it's fun.

Like other day also when Grealish replied to Saka's shot and called it a fluke and laughed, all the Arsenal supporters were asking him to leave Villa for them and hed win things with Arsenal. There were alot of Villa fans ruling them up over there stupidness on Twitters.

I really struggle to see how Heaton is going to manage to get into his place, only way I see is if Martinez gets injured and I hope he does not get injured.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Need to play the game of his life on Friday

I have a glory supporter friend who was a sheffield Wednesday fan who turned to UTD when Wednesday went shit, ridiculous really. So yeah he will pipe up all of a sudden if they Man utd beat us.

If it's two games this season I do not want to lose its against Manchester bloody United, cant stand the team from way back when they used to nick our players for fun because we needed money.

Man UTD and Leeds, yuk and spit.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Why? Patricio had one save to make today.  

Do you watch football or are you just looking at the table?

Wolves play a much more defensive football than we do. Especially when up against the bigger teams. 

They are sitting deep and soaking up pressure. They are very good at it. 

We are more defending from the front when possible but if they can bypass our press we're gonna be in trouble. 

46 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Wolves play a much more defensive football than we do. Especially when up against the bigger teams. 

They are sitting deep and soaking up pressure. They are very good at it. 

We are more defending from the front when possible but if they can bypass our press we're gonna be in trouble. 

Maybe.  But I still say f**k Man U.  If they beat us it will because we are tired and they are lucky. Not because they are better than us. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

I don't know if I'm getting carried away here as its only 14 games into his career, but I said to my mate the other day whilst watching the Chelsea game, I think he's the best keeper I've ever seen at Villa. He even looks the part - big, strong and athletic. 

My first full season of supporting was the league cup in 1995/96 … so there is a fair bit of competition. But I can't ever remember feeling this confident about our keeper. Closest I can remember is Friedel for a couple of years, but he did throw in the odd howler every now and then. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, handsworthvilla said:

I don't know if I'm getting carried away here as its only 14 games into his career, but I said to my mate the other day whilst watching the Chelsea game, I think he's the best keeper I've ever seen at Villa. He even looks the part - big, strong and athletic. 

I think we can get carried away with Emi

He isn't pulling off "highlights saves" every week, actually most of the saves all look pretty easy. And that's because his positioning is perfect 99% of the time.  For me that's points to the fact that this isn't just a "purple patch" the kid is just the real deal. 

Best keeper I've ever seen down VP and I was lucky enough to watch Bossie every week. 

His distribution is also up there with the best I've ever seen from a keeper. 

1 hour ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Its nice to feel confident that ur keeper will successfully clsim a cross 99 times out of 100

Nah,not for me.I yearn for the yesteryear of Guzan standing on his line shouting "AWAY" at every cross/corner.Still does it at Atlanta from what I've seen.

47 minutes ago, Derryvillan said:

Nah,not for me.I yearn for the yesteryear of Guzan standing on his line shouting "AWAY" at every cross/corner.Still does it at Atlanta from what I've seen.

You're thinking of the Italian keeper aren't you, rather than Guzan?

3 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Its nice to feel confident that ur keeper will successfully clsim a cross 99 times out of 100

There was a free kick recently (I think from Eze) where he started to move to his left in anticipation of where he expected the ball to be heading towards, but it was actually struck at exactly where he was initially positioned so he had to slightly contort his body but still graciously and elegantly plucked the ball out of the air like a basketball player snatching the ball out of the air rather than blocking it into row Z. Granted, he didn't have to move much, but can't think of another keeper who wouldn't have parried that or tipped it over the bar. He's the real deal.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sgl said:

Agreed.  Nyland made the supporters nervous, so you can imagine what he did to the back four in front of him. 

The game in the top flight is hard enough without having to guess what phuckeries an erratic keeper may come up with this afternoon. 

• Like 1

Martinez is living proof that coaches do not always get it right, all coaching guidelines for the last few years have adapted the european approach of punching or parrying the ball. Emiliano prefers to catch the ball at nearly every opportunity and reduces the risk of spilling to an on running opponent, this is totally against what all the top team keepers do and has to show Emil as his own man and therefore a leader. This guy is a breadth of fresh air and we have already seen the benefits of his craft and the value he is to our team, maybe this is just the start.

10 hours ago, av1 said:

I think we can get carried away with Emi

He isn't pulling off "highlights saves" every week, actually most of the saves all look pretty easy. And that's because his positioning is perfect 99% of the time.  For me that's points to the fact that this isn't just a "purple patch" the kid is just the real deal. 

Best keeper I've ever seen down VP and I was lucky enough to watch Bossie every week. 

His distribution is also up there with the best I've ever seen from a keeper. 

I think weve also setup well for Martinez, our back 4 are narrow, it means we concede more crosses and less shots through the middle. I think this suits martinez, mings and konsa

3 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I think weve also setup well for Martinez, our back 4 are narrow, it means we concede more crosses and less shots through the middle. I think this suits martinez, mings and konsa

That's a good point mate. Though he has proved more than capable at shot stopping aswell..

Top signing

Â