Emiliano Martínez

hippo

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I know a lot gets (in my opinion, often unfairly) said about players moving for the money.  This guy seems to be anything but that player.  The emotion he felt after the cup final, he's waited for his chance to be the main man and is moving - with a heavy heart - purely for that reason.  He talks about the mental side of the game and understands what it's like to be working hard and not getting the chance you feel you deserve.

Now it's here.  I've got a really good feeling about this.

Yeah if any footballer deserves a triple your money deal I reckon it’s him. Top keeper and top pro imo.

We start him, he plays well, it's his to lose

I'm sure Heaton understands that too with his experience, pretty sure that's what happened at Burnley

Whether or not he stays here, does his badges and sees his days out is another thing, steer stays as nr 3 incase Heaton wants out in Jan 

35 minutes ago, rayk said:

Question is assuming Heaton comes back to full strength and in form, who’s our no 1 keeper?

For me it has to be Martinez.

Heaton is a quality goalkeeper. The competition between them should be v healthy. It will be Martinez shirt to lose though given the injury. Steer is also a very strong option as a #3. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rayk said:

Question is assuming Heaton comes back to full strength and in form, who’s our no 1 keeper?

For me it has to be Martinez.

I think it's Martinez.

I'm not surprised we've gone for a keeper this window. I am surprised (pleasantly) that we went for a keeper of this quality as, presumably, a number 1.

I assume there are concerns with Heaton's injury and age (although 34 isn't too old for a keeper)

it's a shame for Heaton, but I think Martinez will get the gloves on Sunday and they'll be his to lose when Heaton is back.

One thing is for sure, regardless of who is number 1, we haven't been this strong in the GK department for a long long time.

• Like 1

I do feel sorry for Heaton - he's a really good player and pro and wasn't his fault he got injured. No doubt he has been working hard to get back to fitness 

But whenever I feel sorry for a player I picture them pushing their wheelbarrows full of cash through their solid gold houses and I get over it.

At the end of the day it's what's best for Aston villa and signing Martinez is it

• Like 2

Â