Emiliano Martínez

hippo

Just to revisit the question around Martinez's distribution, Sam Dean of the Telegraph has published this article today:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/09/14/revealed-arsenal-keep-scoring-goal/

The relevant extract is as follows:

The role of the goalkeepers

The goalkeepers have played a crucial role in all four of the goals Arsenal have scored in this way. That comes from Arteta’s coaching, but also the work of new goalkeeping coach Inaki Cana Pavon, who joined from Brentford in December. He is described as “intense” and he has pushed for Arsenal’s goalkeepers to be more aggressive in their positioning.

Emiliano Martinez thrived in this system following an injury to Bernd Leno in June. The Argentine, who has now agreed to join Aston Villa, showed the courage and the technical ability to execute those high-stakes passes within his own penalty box.

“You can see when the ball goes back to Emi in the FA Cup semi-final, he knew the central midfielder would be there and the centre-back would be in the right position,” said Matt Macey, Arsenal's third choice goalkeepr. “It takes a lot of trust in the players around you.

“As a goalkeeper I know where the centre-mid and the left-back are supposed to stand, because the manager presents it in a way that we have to learn it. It is almost as if you were a coach and had to explain it to someone else. That is a new way of coaching that I had never seen before. When they first came in it blew everyone away, in the way we could all understand the system.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Is his wife still posting photos of places in the West Midlands on Instagram? Perhaps a trip to the lovely Boscobel House, built by Bosko Balaban in 2001? A visit to Little Aston can't be beat: named in honour of Brian Little. Or perhaps Millennium Point, dedicated to the points Aston Villa lost to the scientific progress of VAR in 2019/20?  The York restaurant was named after Dwight Yorke following his infamous steak in the bathtub incident in 1998 and could easily satisfy even the most carnivorous of Latin Americans.  

All in all, the Midlands is a great day out for an Argentinian model with a goalkeeper husband.

• Like 3

The lads running Arsenal must be some cads alright.

Massive cuts to non-playing staff while still signing new players on big contracts (Willian for instance must be on a hefty wage).

Drama from the existing players over taking wage cuts a month or two ago.

If they're now refusing to pay a player what he's contractually entitled to, I can't see Project Mikel progressing as promisingly as it has been thus far.

I've nothing really against Arsenal and would rather see them do well over - say - Spurs; but the noises coming out of the club right now are not good.

Just now, Genie said:

Why would we do that?

It’s what tends to happen to get a deal done in a timely way. Some form of compromise at least. Either he agrees to just take 50% of what he’s owed, or we agree to pay half, etc. Saves us all sitting around another week while his people go back and forth with Arsenal.

That is if it’s down to money promised/owed which is only speculation on my part from the above tweet.

15 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

It’s what tends to happen to get a deal done in a timely way. Some form of compromise at least. Either he agrees to just take 50% of what he’s owed, or we agree to pay half, etc. Saves us all sitting around another week while his people go back and forth with Arsenal.

That is if it’s down to money promised/owed which is only speculation on my part from the above tweet.

If it’s down to money they can pay him what they owe him out of the reported £20m we’re handing over!!

• Like 1

Â