Emiliano Martínez

hippo

37 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

Arsenal fan quotes. Love to see it! 

"I'm gutted, I think he's much better than Leno and would have preferred to keep him. I honestly think we've made a bad decision, but he wanted guarantees that he would play and he'll do that at Villa. I hope they appreciate what they've got, an excellent goalkeeper and lovely person, I've actually cried over this. Good luck Emi, I hope you get to represent your country, you deserve it."

Not like Arsenal fans to be overdramatic.😂

• Like 1

I didn't know much about Martinez until we were linked and done some research and like what I see. For me one of best keepers in PL is Guaita for Palace. I think he was difference for them last season between midtable obscurity and relegation contention. Good keeper makes such a difference

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Friedel was a good signing but he was already well into his 30s when we signed him. Same for Given.  David James?

Yeah none of those close. Given was pretty shite for us seem to remember thought he was already shot from injuries. James I was excited about 

Edited by Kiwivillan

5 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Yeah none of those close. Given was pretty shite for us seem to remember thought he was already shot from injuries. James I was excited about 

Yes Given was disappointing. It was crazy to give a 35 yr old who was already showing signs of decline a 5 year contract. Again Heaton on paper a good signing but well into his 30s with a couple of injuries already.

Tommy Sorensen was a good keeper, he was  a   victim of MON  of getting rid of all the existing players to bring in his lads. Tommy, Aaron Hughes, Steve Davis and JPA could have easily have been kept on but hey ho all in the past.

Feel a bit sorry for Heaton but they must have big concerns for his rehab to bring in Martinez.

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Yes Given was disappointing. It was crazy to give a 35 yr old who was already showing signs of decline a 5 year contract. Again Heaton on paper a good signing but well into his 30s with a couple of injuries already.

Tommy Sorensen was a good keeper, he was  a   victim of MON  of getting rid of all the existing players to bring in his lads. Tommy, Aaron Hughes, Steve Davis and JPA could have easily have been kept on but hey ho all in the past.

Feel a bit sorry for Heaton but they must have big concerns for his rehab to bring in Martinez.

That's why I'm excited about Martinez. Haven't thought our keeper was decent since Sorenson and he was shite at the best of times. Friedel let in a good amount but we scored enough to let him get away with it

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

That's why I'm excited about Martinez. Haven't thought our keeper was decent since Sorenson and he was shite at the best of times. Friedel let in a good amount but we scored enough to let him get away with it

Heaton last season was unbelievably good. I knew we were buying solidity but I had no idea he was that level. I wouldn't swap a fit Heaton for any keeper in the league outside the top 2. Unfortunately the follow-up to that last sentence writes itself.

• Like 1

Phew - so relived this one is finally done.  Highly rated - but if he can replicate his form from Arsenal then we have our best keeper since Bosnich on our hands. Sure we only have a short span of games to judge him on - however if had performed that over 2 or 3 seasons - you could probably more than treble the asking price ....

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Heaton last season was unbelievably good. I knew we were buying solidity but I had no idea he was that level. I wouldn't swap a fit Heaton for any keeper in the league outside the top 2. Unfortunately the follow-up to that last sentence writes itself.

Didn't play enough to make judgement and I was scarred early by that brain explosion that essentially cost us the game against Bournemouth

• Haha 1

Friedel was really good, it was just the fact that he was never going to be a  long term option as he was old. Fair play to him he kept himself fit and was playing for Spurs into his 40s.

Since then we have had a lot of keepers who have been mixed bag. Brad Jnr had his moments but he could't really organise the defence. Good shot stopper but his confidence totally went at the end.  He was kept busy as the team was shite. Gollini we never gave him the chance. Johnstone was a solid keeper but his kicking was awful. Tbh he looks just a decent championshio goalie. Then loads since. Heaton would have been good but yet another injury for him. 

Its a good chance to have someone behind the sticks for 4-5 years and to build a team now.

Â