Emiliano Martínez

hippo

2 hours ago, AerialThreat said:

Not his finest hour. But after Emery was sacked, Arteta brought in Inaki Cana, formerly Brentford’s GK coach, and neither Martinez nor Leno have looked back. Cana has had a big impact on Emi’s improvement.

Incidentally, we are looking at David Raya from Brentford as Martinez’s replacement on Cana’s recommendation. We also have an Icelandic keeper on the radar, who also worked with Cana before.

Fancy a Norwegian one?

spacer.png

(Please)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm actually with you on this, maybe not in such a brutal way

Shot stopping should be a given. Every keeper can save shots. Yes some are better than others, and some make more spectacular saves that others. But being a keeper these days is about so much more than shot stopping. There are a dozen things they need to be as well.

Shot stopping is expected of every keeper. So youtube videos of a keeper making some nice saves doens't cut it. Nyland is a good shot stopper. But he's shit at a lot of other things.

I'm far  more interested in Martinez's distribution, command of his area, ability to collect crosses, how he handles the ball at his feet, how he communicates with his defenders etc than I am in his shot stopping. All keepers at this level are good at shot stopping.

Bang on bro.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm actually with you on this, maybe not in such a brutal way

Shot stopping should be a given. Every keeper can save shots. Yes some are better than others, and some make more spectacular saves that others. But being a keeper these days is about so much more than shot stopping. There are a dozen things they need to be as well.

Shot stopping is expected of every keeper. So youtube videos of a keeper making some nice saves doens't cut it. Nyland is a good shot stopper. But he's shit at a lot of other things.

I'm far  more interested in Martinez's distribution, command of his area, ability to collect crosses, how he handles the ball at his feet, how he communicates with his defenders etc than I am in his shot stopping. All keepers at this level are good at shot stopping.

i actually tried searching for "martinez crosses", and "martinez kicks/kicking".

Suffice to say that usually such videos for nerds like myself are not provided.

:(

• Like 1

Just now, MaVilla said:

i actually tried searching for "martinez crosses", and "martinez kicks/kicking".

Indeed. but they're far more important.

I guess it's the equivalent of seeing a youtube compilation of a wingers goals but not seeing how well he tracks back, or supports others in attack or keep the ball or win the ball back.

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Indeed. but they're far more important.

I guess it's the equivalent of seeing a youtube compilation of a wingers goals but not seeing how well he tracks back, or supports others in attack or keep the ball or win the ball back.

Warhammer 40K Twitch GIF by Hyper RPG

5 hours ago, AerialThreat said:

You’ll laugh mate. But I can genuinely say he caught every single cross he went for in those 10-12 games he played for us after the restart. It became a bit weird to me that he was so consistent on them.

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493b8dwtcw2rczgc2oi1jr

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

The video I watched had about 5 minutes of his goal kicks and kicks from pass backs and every one he seemed to pick out his forward. 

• Thanks 1

Â