Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

4 hours ago, paul514 said:

I can’t see why we should sign Watkins over Eduard or Iheanacho

Attitude, for one. By all accounts, he's an absolute pro who gets his head down and works his arse off - haven't heard that about the other two. 

I'd be happy with any of them tbf. 

49 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Attitude, for one. By all accounts, he's an absolute pro who gets his head down and works his arse off - haven't heard that about the other two. 

Haven’t heard anything about Iheanacho but I’ve read Edouard’s attitude is now spot on.

Edited by rayk

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

According Sky Sports we are preparing a bid. 

I assume we need to design some kind of poster to hand over.  Maybe we put the bid to them by the media of song and dance so rehearsals are ongoing. 

I really don't understand why the bidding process needs to be so complicated.  Wouldn't it be just so much easier if we just phoned them and said "How about £18m for Watkins? What? No we can't pay £30m, £20m tops........... Oh OK £22m it is then" 

It would speed the whole thing up by so much with very very little preparation time. All you would need to do then is know what your maximum price to pay it. 

I can't be alone in thinking this? They wouldn't even need to decorate the float or anything then. 

On the face of it you’re right. However there are loads of things that complicate all negotiations and not just in the multimillion pound world of football. 

I would imagine things like payment structure, media rights, agent fees etc and that’s even before you get into the human factor. Seemingly unimportant things to us like houses and kids schooling may be a big deal to the player and his family. Add in that many transfers are often affected by other transfers and all those similar complications and you can see why it takes so long. Just as an example, even Mings’ move, which both parties were keen on, involved stuff like his girlfriend’s business. 

We’d all like it to be simple and I’m sure those people at the sharp end would too. But when was life ever simple, especially when people and money are involved? 

• Thanks 2

really want to sign this fella. I honestly dont remember the last all round proper number 9 type striker to play for this team. We've had big target men, speedy guys, ones who like to drift out wide, ones who like to play deep and collect the ball, link up men, young players with potential, the extravagant skilful foreign flair players etc. 

All I want is a good all round athlete who plays between the width of the 18 yard box and knows how to stick it in the back of the net. An Alan Shearer style fella who works hard will do me, and thats what I see in Watkins 

(and yes i know he can play wide and drift in etc but hopefully we buy him as an old fashioned striker who's job it is to score goals)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

I'd also say that Watkins should be more likely to be a cultural fit judging by the fact that he worked under Smith. I think this is often overlooked and undervalued; and clearly Dean's trying to build a culture in the club.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Yes.

Toney, Watkins and Rashica will suffice.

Too much of a gamble imo. Toney didn't do much at Wigan in the championship so I'd rather he went somewhere in that league and scored a decent amount a la Watkins even if that means he cost 10m more in 18 months. No problem with Rashica or Watkins as long as he dosen't come as main striker signing.

Gives me 2015 vibes. Ayew and even Gestede would've been fine if we'd got an experienced striker on top of that so they could develop in their own time rather than have all the pressure of being Benteke's replacement. Last summer was another decent example.

5 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

That’s why Brentford are building a new ground, they are bracing themselves for multiple bids being launched by us. Griffin Park would have crumbled. 

Have we funded it.?

3 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

really want to sign this fella. I honestly dont remember the last all round proper number 9 type striker to play for this team. We've had big target men, speedy guys, ones who like to drift out wide, ones who like to play deep and collect the ball, link up men, young players with potential, the extravagant skilful foreign flair players etc. 

All I want is a good all round athlete who plays between the width of the 18 yard box and knows how to stick it in the back of the net. An Alan Shearer style fella who works hard will do me, and thats what I see in Watkins 

(and yes i know he can play wide and drift in etc but hopefully we buy him as an old fashioned striker who's job it is to score goals)

didn't you know?....."Modern" is sacrosanct on here. 😃

Edited by TRO

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

Have we funded it.?

It's apparently costing £71m, most of which is from Benham's pocket. However we've given them £24m for Hogan and Konsa, if pay the same for Watkins then yes, we have funded most of it. 

4 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Looks like Brentford have missed out on Toney, so could be waiting a lot longer for this to go through.

According to the Barry Fry video Toney  has turned down the best bid from a Championship club (unnamed, but could be us) so it looks like Ollie won't be going anywhere at the moment until we have found a replacement, so it could be a longer wait than anticipated, if according to "rumors" and press talk he is Villa, Leeds, Palace, Leicester, Newcastle bound. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jonjon said:

According to the Barry Fry video Toney  has turned down the best bid from a Championship club (unnamed, but could be us) so it looks like Ollie won't be going anywhere at the moment until we have found a replacement, so it could be a longer wait than anticipated, if according to "rumors" and press talk he is Villa, Leeds, Palace, Leicester, Newcastle bound. 

Hopefully we've hijacked your bid for him by tabling an offer for Toney and inevitably saving ourselves £10million. Lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, jonjon said:

Yeah, that's what I watched. 

Amazed he's turned you down.

Â