Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

57 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I can see his value doubling overnight, we should go directly to the source and get Toney instead!

I know right, let's just cut out the middle man. We will be after him in 12 months anyway!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I can’t see why we should sign Watkins over Eduard or Iheanacho

In the eyes of our senior management, they all sit in roughly the same category of young rising talent, with something to prove. Despite having potential, none of them are proven. We will all have our opinions on if they will make it, but currently, if we signed any of them, they would be still be punts.

According Sky Sports we are preparing a bid. 

I assume we need to design some kind of poster to hand over.  Maybe we put the bid to them by the media of song and dance so rehearsals are ongoing. 

I really don't understand why the bidding process needs to be so complicated.  Wouldn't it be just so much easier if we just phoned them and said "How about £18m for Watkins? What? No we can't pay £30m, £20m tops........... Oh OK £22m it is then" 

It would speed the whole thing up by so much with very very little preparation time. All you would need to do then is know what your maximum price to pay it. 

I can't be alone in thinking this? They wouldn't even need to decorate the float or anything then. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I assume we need to design some kind of poster to hand over.  Maybe we put the bid to them by the media of song and dance so rehearsals are ongoing. 

I really don't understand why the bidding process needs to be so complicated.  Wouldn't it be just so much easier if we just phoned them and said "How about £18m for Watkins? What? No we can't pay £30m, £20m tops........... Oh OK £22m it is then" 

It would speed the whole thing up by so much with very very little preparation time. All you would need to do then is know what your maximum price to pay it. 

I can't be alone in thinking this? They wouldn't even need to decorate the float or anything then. 

It wouldn't work because of the way deals are structured, nothing is just paid in a lump sum anymore it's 50% now 50% after x appearances or x goals or winning the title. I suspect if we went to Brentford and just flat offered £20 odd million in cash monies they'd accept immediately 

53 minutes ago, sidcow said:

One thing is the decision making process I think.

I doubt one single individual has the authority to spend £20m just like that.

I would not be surprised if what you're saying is going on. Which means we would know what it would take to buy 10-20 different players. We probably do.

Then there is a discussion internally on which combo we should choose. Is it striker 1 at £25m and winger 1 at £20m? Or is it striker 2 at £30m and winger 2 at £15m? This is the considering swooping phase.

Then again those deals that we know, we probably know just ballpark figures. If they are willing to sell at £25m, we put in a formal offer on £22m.  This is the phase where we are preparing bids and other clubs are bracing themselves.

Having said that, I really would appreciate if someone took the time and made a flow chart of these phases. 

Edited by Silent_Bob

31 minutes ago, weedman said:

It wouldn't work because of the way deals are structured, nothing is just paid in a lump sum anymore it's 50% now 50% after x appearances or x goals or winning the title. I suspect if we went to Brentford and just flat offered £20 odd million in cash monies they'd accept immediately 

over your head superman GIF

1 hour ago, the_eristic said:

Are we preparing to table a bid or are we preparing a bid to be tabled? An important distinction! Any word on the degree of cheekiness?

I believe we're preparing a table to place the bid on.

Â