Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

7 minutes ago, MCU said:

I’m just saying a club of Leicester’s strength and position and they are excited at the thought of Watkins links , and us, narrowly escaping relegation , some don’t think he’s good enough for us. 

I never said he wasn't good enough for us. I said the chances of him lighting up the Premier League like he did in the Championship is basically slim, unlikely. I also said I'm not opposed to signing him.

The "some don’t think he’s good enough for us" has nothing to do with me or what I wrote.

List of goal scorers with 25+ in one season at the Championship level, since 2015:

• Mitrovic, 19/20
  • Watkins, 19/20
  • Pukki, 18/19
  • Abraham, 18/19
  • Maupay, 18/19
  • Wood, 16/17
  • Andre Gray, 15/16

Pretty decent company.  Only one to not have a shot at the top division thus far is Ollie.  

Edited by Paulie
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Spray said:

I never said he wasn't good enough for us. I said the chances of him lighting up the Premier League like he did in the Championship is basically slim, unlikely. I also said I'm not opposed to signing him.

The "some don’t think he’s good enough for us" has nothing to do with me or what I wrote.

You were the one that quoted me! My post wasn’t directed at anyone in particular, especially you. Chill the **** out man. 

8 minutes ago, Spray said:

What's with the riddles? Just say what you want to say.

Teams don't typically sign the best players from teams that are better than them. Maybe City and Chelsea did it when they were first getting going but those days are long gone.

"As the team who barely finished 17th, we need to sign the best striker of the club who finished 10th, an established PL side who have been finishing midtable/in European positions while we were struggling to get out of the Championship." sounds like something that only happens on Football Manager. There's no incentive at all for either the player or the club to make it happen. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Would you have signed Chris wood from Leeds?

If you're getting at the signing of him back then would be like the signing of Watkins now to prove some point, then you're barking up the wrong tree.

Would you sign Chris Wood from Burnley?

3 hours ago, SeanVilla said:

Same price maybe but if Watkins is £25mill and Wilson is £10mill + Hogan or just £15mill I'd go Wilson everyday of the week. Could enable us to sign someone else and guarantees goals in this league

Your maths is way off here. Its 10 mill + Hogan or Wilson on his own for 5 mill I'd say. We'd be paying them to take Hogan as well as give us Wilson.

8 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Teams don't typically sign the best players from teams that are better than them. Maybe City and Chelsea did it when they were first getting going but those days are long gone.

"As the team who barely finished 17th, we need to sign the best striker of the club who finished 10th, an established PL side who have been finishing midtable/in European positions while we were struggling to get out of the Championship." sounds like something that only happens on Football Manager. There's no incentive at all for either the player or the club to make it happen. 

I don't even know why I'm entertaining you, you have a picture of a manure player, says it all really.

Edited by Spray

I did the same for the top 6, but if we're talking above us, who could we get as a striker, who would 1) come to us 2) we'd want?

I like Chris Wood but you have to set up the team to play to his strengths. I'm not convinced we would (we dont have a single functional winger)

Ineanacho? Never really seen him over a full season. Reminds me a bit of Kodjia. Would blow hot and cold. 

Then teams like Sheffield United? Newcastle? West ham? Who would meet that criteria from the 3 above?

3 minutes ago, Spray said:

I don't even know why I'm entertaining you, you have a picture of a manure player, says it all really.

Ah yes, the Canadian Manure fan who posted over 12,000 times on a Villa forum. 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I did the same for the top 6, but if we're talking above us, who could we get as a striker, who would 1) come to us 2) we'd want?

I like Chris Wood but you have to set up the team to play to his strengths. I'm not convinced we would (we dont have a single functional winger)

Ineanacho? Never really seen him over a full season. Reminds me a bit of Kodjia. Would blow hot and cold. 

Then teams like Sheffield United? Newcastle? West ham? Who would meet that criteria from the 3 above?

We could probably only get players are low on the pecking order at their clubs, kind of like how we signed Mings. Who would we even want that fits that criteria? I could only think of Iheanacho (I actually rate him). The PL experience canard is so overblown because if you're actually serious about pursuing that as a strategy, you end up like West Ham or Sunderland from the last decade. It's really slim pickings out there.

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

We could probably only get players are low on the pecking order at their clubs, kind of like how we signed Mings. Who would we even want that fits that criteria? I could only think of Iheanacho (I actually rate him). The PL experience canard is so overblown because if you're actually serious about pursuing that as a strategy, you end up like West Ham or Sunderland from the last decade. It's really slim pickings out there.

I totally agree. 

For the Love of Paul McGrath has done a pod today on OW with the guy who runs @VillaAnalytics on Twitter. 

I’ve got no concerns anymore, even if Watkins is coming as our new number one striker. Worth a listen if you’re on the fence. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Awol said:

For the Love of Paul McGrath has done a pod today on OW with the guy who runs @VillaAnalytics on Twitter. 

I’ve got no concerns anymore, even if Watkins is coming as our new number one striker. Worth a listen if you’re on the fence. 

Listened to that earlier. Was a good listen.

13 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Looks like its a done deal. Seen watkins in the bullring today

So you've seen Rashica at passport control at the airport and dashed down the bull ring and bumped into Watkins?

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, romavillan said:

So you've seen Rashica at passport control at the airport and dashed down the bull ring and bumped into Watkins?

And that was after he had time to speak to the billy goats gruff who keep walking over his bridge.

• Haha 1

Â