Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Felt sorry for him tonight, thankless task vs that defence and especially that ref, can't remember ever seeing so much pushing and pulling hit away with and more than that so many sly late off the ball treading on toes and trying to rake his achilles, they battered him with no protection 

Should have done better with his big chance, wildly smashed at it looked very low on confidence, great header to set up the equaliser 

You would wonder what did he do to piss off Stuart Attwell so much?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

You would wonder what did he do to piss off Stuart Attwell so much?

Might be worth going back through his social media account to see if he called him a word removed after the ghost goal 

• Like 1

Poor tonight. In the first half Traore put over a great cross and he didnt move. Then missed that one on one. Had a part in the second goal but thought that was one of his worst games for us. 

• Like 2

I’m certain he’s a better striker than he is a wide player but ultimately, the team is more important and right now, with Davis’ form and the poor form of every winger at the club, I’d play him on the left with Davis through the middle. 

Long term, he’s our no.9, I have no doubt about that, but right now, we need to shuffle around to accommodate the players in and out of form. 

That’s just my opinion anyway. 

• Like 2

Surprised there isn't more posts on his one on one miss. I thought it was poor, he simply has to go across the keeper there with all the time he had to look up, see Johnstone's position and assess things.

Wood scored from an even tighter angle for his first v Wolves by smashing the ball across the keeper into the far corner so that's simply one area where Ollie has to improve as he had a similar one v Newcastle he didn't score from either although that may have been called offside in the end.

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Liverpool allegedly interested according to some journal or other.

I look forward to the papers reporting comical prices that completely ignore that we payd £27m for him.

Market value?

I'd go for £70m.

Would you exchange him for, Tammy for example?

2 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

No 

I wouldn't either... lol, just want to get the general concensus, and people on here love Tammy.

What i'm wondering is if, the club would accept say 40 - 45 mill for him, if they feel they could get a more " finished article " for the 27 - 33 mill we got him for.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

9 hours ago, useless said:

Along with 12 goals, that’s a very impressive first season. When you think of some of the chances he has missed and the disallowed goals. He could have been close to 20 goals. Great signing.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
Losing the plot
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

We've paid thirty million plus for him, we aren't going to sell for ten or fifteen million more, proving himself in the premier league and becoming an England international is worth much more than that. His price tag will have at least doubled, not that we will be interested in selling him.

• Like 4

On 26/04/2021 at 20:29, Delphinho123 said:

I’m certain he’s a better striker than he is a wide player but ultimately, the team is more important and right now, with Davis’ form and the poor form of every winger at the club, I’d play him on the left with Davis through the middle. 

Long term, he’s our no.9, I have no doubt about that, but right now, we need to shuffle around to accommodate the players in and out of form. 

That’s just my opinion anyway. 

I would tend to agree, based on who's currently both available and on form I would also go for a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 with Davis up front and Watkins out wide.

In the long run I don't see that being too sustainable though, especially against team that defend with a low block, I can't see him unlocking defenses or providing consistently good crosses. It can work quite well if we play more on the counter though, we would significantly increase our success rate of long balls with both of them.

I think Watkins is a great all-round striker who lacks a little bit of that killer instinct in front of goal. So we'll have to get used to him missing the odd chance, but he makes up for it with the rest of his game.

Until we're in the market for a £100m Champions League striker, Watkins is the sort of level we should be looking at, and he's exceeded expectations IMO. A bit more luck with VAR and his stats would have looked very impressive for a first season in the PL, and they're still nothing to sniff at given he's not the main penalty taker.

Be interesting to see what happens when Louie Barry starts featuring more often, which surely isn't too far away.

• Like 1

Â