Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

He’s everything you want in a centre forward. And when he’s not scoring, he does everything else.

Credit where credit is due to Southgate or whoever helps select the squad for choosing Ollie over Bamford. He’s showing enough to claim second in line.

Edited by a m ole

37 minutes ago, paul514 said:

WTF has he done to be worth roughly triple what we paid for him?

His value will have gone up but you need to actually look at the players that sell for upwards of 70 million, these are generally world class players.

I like the lad but he is 40-50 currently lets be realistic.

It's also about having a buyer. Who is paying 60-70M for him?  

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

He's so unlucky too, he could easily be on 20 goals right now but for margins of inches here and there or stupid VAR calls. He's been getting better all season too, he wasn't having these well rounded performances earlier in the season. I can't, wait to see how good he'll be next season.

Thats such a good point. 

He might finally be the guy to score those 20 prem goals. 

Guest av1

As great as he’s been and he has been fantastic, I suspect he’s the type of kid that’s going to thrive even more playing in front of a packed VP.

On more than one occasion this season I’ve heard commentators say that you can’t  fully appreciate his work rate watching on the TV. This kid is going to get so much love from the holte when we are all back. Fully deserved. 

4 hours ago, paul514 said:

WTF has he done to be worth roughly triple what we paid for him?

His value will have gone up but you need to actually look at the players that sell for upwards of 70 million, these are generally world class players.

I like the lad but he is 40-50 currently lets be realistic.

While maybe not £70 million, you have to judge players on what they offer over other players.

None stop energy

Continually pressing

Always running the back 4

Holding up ability

Decent passing and interlink play

Decent finishing

Potential to further improve 

Attitude

Fitness/ lack of serious injury 

While there are hundreds who posses some of those qualities, he has all of them.

There are not many of these around and the ones that are, cost a lot of money.

Since we got relegated I was hoping we would sign him. Took our time and 28 million but we got him eventually.

But like Jack, he is worth more to us than the initial transfer fee. The marketability, the international interest, it raises villa's profile which helps raise the potential for higher potential ceiling transfers.

We have a back 5 that picks itself and will injuries permitting for the next few years.

We have 1 midfielder in jack and 1 forward who again will be there for the next few years.

Getting in 2 or 3 more players who will be of the same importance to the 1st 11 should see us competing for the 8th to 5th position next season.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Thats such a good point. 

He might finally be the guy to score those 20 prem goals. 

Or at least get double figures ;)

Top signing.  He has played every single minute for us so obviously will have the odd bad game and moments. But majority time he has been excellent and a constant threat to defenders. He must be a nightmare to play against. 

What are the rules around issuing cards? If Ollie doesn’t score that goal then Mason should have been sent off. He pulled him back and then slashed him down from behind. He committed the offence despite Ollie picking himself up and scoring. He didn’t even get a yellow card! In rugby he still would have been sent off for committing the offence regardless of what happened afterwards!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, av1 said:

As great as he’s been and he has been fantastic, I suspect he’s the type of kid that’s going to thrive even more playing in front of a packed VP.

On more than one occasion this season I’ve heard commentators say that you can’t  fully appreciate his work rate watching on the TV. This kid is going to get so much love from the holte when we are all back. Fully deserved. 

If our entire front line had his work rate and speed teams would think they're playing against 14 men. Ironically that would mean Ollie can do less work therefore being even more lethal.

3 hours ago, Nicho said:

With Southgate in the stands he’ll be going to the euros on that performance. 

Hopefully

I dont think he's as good overall as DCL at the moment or obviously kane but in terms of work rate, movement and pressing he's better than them 

If Southgate loves a press, like he suggested with his grealish comments, then he should love Ollie 

Absolutely love this guy. One of my favourite goals for a long time, don't think any other striker in this league scores that. Can't wait to see him live and give him the love he deserves. And on top of that, a humble, eloquent and beautiful man to boot. What a guy.

5 hours ago, av1 said:

Reminds me of big Dion. Until I saw him in person I had no idea how much physicality his play had. Strong af.

34 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Just rewatched ollies goal man that was amazing persistence for the goal.

Cant wait to see him with the fans behind him

I also love how he stayed on his feet rather than go down for a pen. ‘Nah, bugger this, i’m scoring’. Great character.

8 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I also love how he stayed on his feet rather than go down for a pen. ‘Nah, bugger this, i’m scoring’. Great character.

I would hope that this is one of the very few positives as a result of VAR. He's been on the receiving end of its bollocks all season, but in that scenario I reckon had he missed that the ref/VAR might have looked at the incident to determine if the blatant foul had an impact on the effort and made a call in Ollie's favour.

Probably not, but just a thought. 

How many shots on target do we reckon Ollie had last night? Having a row with William Hill as they reckon it was only two including the goal.

I make it at least three, the one on one with Pickford in the 16th, the goal and the one off his thigh. 

Â