Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Ollie Watkins is a very, very good striker who in my opinion will only get better next season. I would take Ollie over Tammy every day of the week, OW will turn out to be a complete strike while TA is a bit limited.

My only regret with Ollie Watkins is that Leicester did not sign him. Oh Well !!

• Like 3

On 26/04/2021 at 19:29, Delphinho123 said:

I’m certain he’s a better striker than he is a wide player but ultimately, the team is more important and right now, with Davis’ form and the poor form of every winger at the club, I’d play him on the left with Davis through the middle. 

Long term, he’s our no.9, I have no doubt about that, but right now, we need to shuffle around to accommodate the players in and out of form. 

That’s just my opinion anyway. 

I'm in this boat for now, especially after Davis broke his duck.  Ride that confiedence wave as long as it lasts (presumably until Davis gets injured).

The caveat being that if Watkins isn't happy doing that role we might want to give it some thought. Might see him lose his chance at an England plac.  I don't see him as the trouble making type, and would imagine he'd say he's OK with it anyway, but wouldn't want to give him a reason to be upset with our leadership.  Sure he'd understand the situation we're in. 

We have grealish who's near the top for chances created in open play charts, Watkins now the striker with the joint most chances created, last year Targett was 3rd for full backs in chances created... 

Yet we have creativity issues? I think it's more that we have sticking it in the back of the onion bag issues 

• Like 1

I get the impression that Ollie would be an absolutely perfect part of a 2-man strikeforce. Imagine playing alongside him - he'd make it so easy for you. It's not how we play, though, and it's a bit of an antiquated formation at the moment. Might get revived later on but who knows?

I'd like to see him in a slightly different role in the front three, though. I think if you gave him the left spot, as it were, but just allowed to roam in the final third, he'd be a great foil for another striker - someone who's a bit more of a clinical striker.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Exeter Fan Too said:

A nice quote from the article...

“the Leeds man (14 goals) is piping Villa’s big-money summer signing”

Sounds fun.

happy kenneth williams GIF

3 hours ago, Exeter Fan Too said:

Impressive stats. Shame people have to bring Bamford in to it and clickbait website makes a headline about it. 

On 28/04/2021 at 12:20, MrBlack said:

I'm in this boat for now, especially after Davis broke his duck.  Ride that confiedence wave as long as it lasts (presumably until Davis gets injured).

The caveat being that if Watkins isn't happy doing that role we might want to give it some thought. Might see him lose his chance at an England plac.  I don't see him as the trouble making type, and would imagine he'd say he's OK with it anyway, but wouldn't want to give him a reason to be upset with our leadership.  Sure he'd understand the situation we're in. 

A few have given great examples, such as Salah.

" Wide Forward " doesn't take you out of the goals or front line equation.

It would lust allow the likes of Davis or Wesley to do the heavy lifting for him.

Allow him more time and space to do what he is good at.

I often feel sorry for him up there alone.

Failing that, we simply MUST improve the support he gets from midfield and wide.

I'd prefer if he could have room to roam all over the front line.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

On 28/04/2021 at 04:41, gurru991 said:

Ollie Watkins is a very, very good striker who in my opinion will only get better next season. I would take Ollie over Tammy every day of the week, OW will turn out to be a complete strike while TA is a bit limited.

My only regret with Ollie Watkins is that Leicester did not sign him. Oh Well !!

You don't need him 

• Like 1

It all points to us upgrading AEG and Traore in a front three (forget how they line up), this might include Ollie going wide and some one coming in to spear head the front line. Didnt Ollie play wide right in a front three at Brentford? 

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

It all points to us upgrading AEG and Traore in a front three (forget how they line up), this might include Ollie going wide and some one coming in to spear head the front line. Didnt Ollie play wide right in a front three at Brentford? 

He did, and did so during Dean's time.  But Dean also confirmed they always saw him as a striker eventually,  just put him out wide while he was developing.

Maybe a front 3 that all inter change. The next evolution? 

On 28/04/2021 at 04:41, gurru991 said:

I agree with the first bit.....with a little more reliability around him, he could mature in to some player....a striker relies on timing and to dao that, you need reliable approach play and crosses, you can hang your hat on.

and he looks like a thoroughbred.

5 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

🙄 we have shit luck with injuries if this is true. 

He looked like he took a bump against the Tesco carrier bags I said it during the match thread too. 

9 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Maybe it's a ploy to confuse Everton. Although maybe Targett just wanted to change his strike force?

Ha ha. Imagine if that’s true! Nothing wrong will Ollie but Targett just thinks he’s a bit rubbish!

• Haha 3

Â