Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

31 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

The invisible striker today. AEG getting most the stick but it was like playing with 9 men tonight.

He never stood a chance as a fox in the box in this game with the lack of service. Any centre forward starved of service will struggle to have in impact.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AV82 said:

Much harder to do when you're up front alone against a Burnley defence.

Watkins needs early crosses in the box to have an impact, it really isn’t rocket science. 

we need to cross more and cross early. We don’t do half of that we need to be offering far more balls into the box for a striker like Ollie. If we don’t then we need a different striker 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

He seems really low on confidence which is so odd.  Maybe more fragile mentally than I thought he would be?

Also worth recognising that this is his second season ever as a striker, and his first season ever in the Premier League.  He'll get better for sure - but frustrating with the rest of them tonight.

Have to say I think similar. It's really odd considering in his limited prem career he's already scored a hat trick v Liverpool (and not many strikers do that in their career) and given he supports Arsenal scoring twice down there would've meant a lot aswell yet he dosen't air of someone who really believes he belongs in premier league still for some reason. Add in aswell he's playing under a manager who has complete faith in him.

When Kane was coming through at Spurs and scoring hat tricks v Chelsea it was chest out, I'm taking all the penalties (o.k perhaps not in Ollie's case) free kicks, taking shots when Son was better place and also claiming goals when he was nowhere near Eriksen free kicks so that's the ruthless nature you need to get to 20-30 goals in this league.

Perhaps Ollie dosen't have that extra level to go to but I think he could if he believed in himself a little bit more. When he sees El Ghazi wasting endless chances tonight he simply has to be thinking I'll be in that position and scoring them on Sunday.

Edited by VillaChris

I thought his off the ball play was good today. Kicked those two thugs a few times too. The only thing I want to see more of from Watkins is chances. AEG had 8 today. All the prolific strikers get around 5/6 shots on goal a game.

He needs to take more pot shots even if they're from ridiculous angles distances blocked shots etc. This puts doubts and funny thoughts into defenders' head's. 

I want him to be a little more dirty too. Stepping on toes , sneaky forearm here tug of the shirt there , knee into the back of knee etc. As Trent said a been there done that striker working with all our forwards to help will benefit them.

Also someone like Shane Long (but not him) as a backup striker to Watkins would greatly help him long term imo. 

Overall I think he's done well so far.

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Have to say I think similar. It's really odd considering in his limited prem career he's already scored a hat trick v Liverpool (and not many strikers do that in their career) and given he supports Arsenal scoring twice down there would've meant a lot aswell yet he dosen't air of someone who really believes he belongs in premier league still for some reason. Add in aswell he's playing under a manager who has complete faith in him.

When Kane was coming through at Spurs and scoring hat tricks v Chelsea it was chest out, I'm taking all the penalties (o.k perhaps not in Ollie's case) free kicks, taking shots when Son was better place and also claiming goals when he was nowhere near Eriksen free kicks so that's the ruthless nature you need to get to 20-30 goals in this league.

Perhaps Ollie dosen't have that extra level to go to but I think he could if he believed in himself a little bit more. When he sees El Ghazi wasting endless chances tonight he simply has to be thinking I'll be in that position and scoring them on Sunday.

I really hope we get a pen in a game late when we are two goals up, and give it to him. Until then its just a psychological thing to deal with, and we use Anwar or Jack.

• Like 1

Works hard and at times makes great movement.

Wish he could link up his movement decisions more with Grealish so he opens more space for our skipper

Not so good on the ball in the last matches, but I have a feeling if he just gets some goals, it will come ALOT more

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Also what was that silly thing he did coming back on the pitch before the ref allowed him back on. Completely stupid and got himself a booking.  Also a freekick to burnley.

Really amateur stuff

I think he got booked for coming on and he was still bleeding. 

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Huge fan of Dyche. He's a manager that is working wonders with literally no money. If he keeps Burnley up this season, it will be a massive achievement - They're a poor side. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Huge fan of Dyche. He's a manager that is working wonders with literally no money. If he keeps Burnley up this season, it will be a massive achievement - They're a poor side. 

I think he's a ginger Steve Bruce. Complete anti football

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Not sure.  Maybe he would be better with money or better players but I hate the way Burnley play football.

32 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Pints. More pints. Then more pints, Dyche becoming aggressively tactile. A shit club and lots of shots, Dyche on the speakers. Curry (vindaloos mandatory). Taxi home, wake up in your clothes having pissed yourself. It’s Dyche on the phone: “Get down the pub, you poof. Your round”

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

More of a MON in that he actually has a system and a style of play at least but if honest I dont think he will move further up the managerial ladder

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I'm not sure about that. I think he improves players to an extent and he really doesn't have much money to spend. 
Bruce has spent money at most of the clubs he's been at and he has no style of play and it's said time and time again that he just picks a team and hopes for the best. I'm not sure he actually coaches the players. Check out what the Newcastle fans think of him on Twitter. They absolutely detest him. They regularly concede 25+ shots a game and rarely have more than 35% possession in matches. Pretty much what Villa were like under his tenure!

Dyche is a little anti-football, but I wouldn't put him on a level with Bruce. I wouldn't wish Bruce on any team apart from Blues. 

Â