Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Might be worth playing him on the right with Davis up top at times. I don't think Smith will do it though. 

I'd give it a go. Watkins always seems to be in the wrong place at the right time or vice versa at the moment.  Players never put the ball in when he's there,  and do when he has pulled out wide to get involved. 

I assume he didn't do that last night as Watkins wasn't fresh enough to be a threat on the wing at the end of the game. He looked shattered, as must of our team did in the last 15 mins or so.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Might be worth playing him on the right with Davis up top at times. I don't think Smith will do it though. 

I said last night in the match thread , I'd actually put him in the role that Jack played last night and put Jack back out on the left where he is more of a threat

Davis up top can win some balls and bully some defenders  ..Ollie has some skills and some pace and can run at defenders rather than trying to compete for high balls 

Anyone have a place to look up crosses per game and compare seasons.  I just have this feeling that last season our main form of attacking was sending in dangerous crosses from the flanks, mainly from the FBs over lapping. Now that Grealish has upped his goal threat I feel we are taking far more shots but of a lower quality. 

When teams put 6 or 7 players in the box to defend we seem fine with taking shots around the 18. If we are going to raise our attacking threat we will need to generate more chances like the first Arsenal goal. 

17 hours ago, kidlewis said:

Watkins needs early crosses in the box to have an impact, it really isn’t rocket science. 

we need to cross more and cross early. We don’t do half of that we need to be offering far more balls into the box for a striker like Ollie. If we don’t then we need a different striker 

Watkin's disallowed goal against West Ham came from such a cross.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Sorry mate, I couldn’t disagree more.  Move our goal scoring striker to the wing and play an injury prone, non-goal scoring, not good enough player in his position.  Davis shouldn’t be getting anywhere near the first XI.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Watkin's disallowed goal against West Ham came from such a cross.

A cross I feel like we used to do more of last season. That and the worm burners from Targett overlapping Grealish. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

A cross I feel like we used to do more of last season. That and the worm burners from Targett overlapping Grealish. 

Doesn't help that we're now dominating teams causing them to sit deep.

He’s looked uncomfortable on the ball when he doesn’t have a pass which leads me to think he’ll struggle out wide.

He doesn’t have an attribute that jumps out at the moment. Quite good at a few things, but not fantastic, yet!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Only problem with moving him to wing and putting Davis up top is that Davis is a bit shit. 

Long term though say Tammy Abraham becomes available and he wants to join us with Jack still around we'd be mad not to do that even if Ollie gets 10-15 goals.

Tammy would come in as the CF and Ollie would have to go out wide, that's how it works at clubs serious about challenging and winning trophies. We're obivously a bit off that currently but we are now moving forward and I'd like us to show a bit more ruthless streak so we're still not waiting for things to happen in five years time.

Chelsea could've just been happy with Giroud, Tammy and Pulisic as forward options but they went out and got Timo Werner aswell.

We're going to be needing much more strength in depth upfront if we want to play europa in next 2-3 years and I assume that's a realistic short term goal from the board.

25 minutes ago, Genie said:

He’s looked uncomfortable on the ball when he doesn’t have a pass which leads me to think he’ll struggle out wide.

He doesn’t have an attribute that jumps out at the moment. Quite good at a few things, but not fantastic, yet!

Really? I’ve seen him skip past defenders time and time again. I think the only problem with Watkins is the fee we paid. People want more.

I think he’s been brilliant for us. 

• Like 2

Judging a forward by goals output alone is not an accurate measurement in the way we play. He defends from the front, moves into the channels to create space, and also links play. Very impressed with his start at the Villa, the fee doesn't bother me one ounce.

I think he's hampered by the lack of vision we have in any player not named Grealish. When the rest of the team know where to play the ball for him in time, I think we'll start to see even more from him.

We can't move him out wide for Davis. I like Davis, but we'd be much weaker going forward in the current system.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

Anyone have a place to look up crosses per game and compare seasons.  I just have this feeling that last season our main form of attacking was sending in dangerous crosses from the flanks, mainly from the FBs over lapping. Now that Grealish has upped his goal threat I feel we are taking far more shots but of a lower quality. 

When teams put 6 or 7 players in the box to defend we seem fine with taking shots around the 18. If we are going to raise our attacking threat we will need to generate more chances like the first Arsenal goal. 

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/8228/Stages/18685/TeamStatistics/England-Premier-League-2020-2021

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/8228/Stages/18685/TeamStatistics/England-Premier-League-2019-2020

You still have to navigate the site a bit to reach the stats you're concerned with.

But basically, it says we've put in an average of 24.6 crosses per game compared to 21 last season.So we've put in more crosses per game this season.

Our accurate crosses ratio is virtually identical to last season though with 22% of our crosses being accurate for both seasons.

You're right that we are taking more shots per game this season compared to last season though. 15.9 shots per game this season compared to 12 last season.

As to whether the shots we are taking of lower quality, that's a harder question to answer. But the xG stats does suggest that the chances we've been getting this season are of similar quality to last season and that we are doing a better job converting them this season. Even discounting xG, just looking at the average amount of shots we take per goals scored this season suggests we are doing better at converting our chances.

On average we scored close to 1 goal for every 10 shots last season, whilst we're scoring an average of 1 goal for every 8 shots taken this season. 

That said, I feel like its mostly the Liverpool match being such an anomaly that's making our conversion rate look so good. If we removed that match from the calculations, I'm guessing we'll probably look worse than last season. But I'm not sure I'd be justified in trying to ignore the Liverpool result when calculating the averages.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AV82 said:

Doesn't help that we're now dominating teams causing them to sit deep.

All the more reason to release early. If teams sit deep or keep their shape then any chinks they present are unlocked with early passes.

unless you have a player like KDB or Silva then it doesn’t really matter. (We have Grealish)

but however gold Grealish is, if he’s on the left side and the ball is with the right winger he can’t do a lot...

Â