Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

To me Watkins makes it as a CF - or we have another average wide player on are hands. 

I think he thrives on confidence - sadly he will have to conquer that - he's not going to get 6 or 7 chances a game and get buy by bagging 1.

I think he will score against wba.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

To me Watkins makes it as a CF - or we have another average wide player on are hands. 

I think he thrives on confidence - sadly he will have to conquer that - he's not going to get 6 or 7 chances a game and get buy by bagging 1.

I think he will score against wba.

In the same vein, looks the type who scores in clusters.

When he gets 1, as evidenced in games prior, its like he becomes possessed.

However you can also visibly see confidence sap when he is getting no service or joy.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

In the same vein, looks the type who scores in clusters.

When he gets 1, as evidenced in games prior, its like he becomes possessed.

However you can also visibly see confidence sap when he is getting no service or joy.

I can't recall the game - but he'd scored one - and then got through on the keeper - and just slotted it past him like it was the most natural thing in the world he didn't even think about it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

I can't recall the game - but he'd scored one - and then got through on the keeper - and just slotted it past him like it was the most natural thing in the world he didn't even think about it.

Arsenal game.  I love that goal. 

To be fair he doesn’t get that many gilt edge chances because he comes looking for the ball too much. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Arsenal game.  I love that goal. 

To be fair he doesn’t get that many gilt edge chances because he comes looking for the ball too much. 

Chicken and the egg - you don't get goals you go looking for touches of the ball.

I just don't think we're generating much chances for him.

Looking back at the Burnley match I can hardly think of a single good lay up for him. It was all set pieces, or midfielders coming into possession around the box. 

The few times he brings down a pass he's almost always alone against 2-4 defenders. We rarely bring the ball to him when he's running channels directly, which obviously will affect how many attempts on goal he gets.

You absolutely have to judge hom on his allround performance, not goals per say.

• Like 3

My fantasy team changes have been spectacularly bad for the last few weeks. Watkins has come in for the baggies. Make of that what you will 😋

11 minutes ago, av1 said:

My fantasy team changes have been spectacularly bad for the last few weeks. Watkins has come in for the baggies. Make of that what you will 😋

Why would you do that? Do you want us to lose?? Take him out!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, av1 said:

Don’t jinx Ollie, what are you thinking?!?! 

6 minutes ago, Greenfly said:

Why would you do that? Do you want us to lose?? Take him out!

He will score 2 tomorrow in a 3-0 win. 

Just now, nick76 said:

Don’t jinx Ollie, what are you thinking?!?! 

Really confident tomorrow Nick. I think it's the weekends banker. 

Need to get ball to him more, not enough service.

When Ghazi shoots that many and could of passed it off to Watkins sometimes, watkins may of scored. Your never going to service a lone striker if that many shots by Wingers are floating over the bar from outside the box, sometimes watkins was open ready for the pass.

I’m not trying trying to be controversial but we shouldn’t lose sight of the fact that in 11 games he’s only scored in 3 games.  Out of the 6 goals he’s scored 5 have been in 2 games.

So when he does score he’s more likely than not to get another.

But.....I’d rather he’d got two against Liverpool and one against Burnley. That’s no more goals but two extra points.

Basically what I’m saying is that I think he needs to show up more in games we don’t dominate.

There’s nothing wrong with Watkins game, against Wolves he played his best game so far, the only thing his performance lacked was a goal.

He’s 11 games into a PL career, there will be fluctuations in his performance, but he is improving his overall game and the lack of goals lately has more to do with the team than his individual play. It’s also very hard for an inexperienced player at this level to be up emotionally week in week out and perform at a high standard.

The sooner he has competition for his position, the better it will be for him and the team.

There’s nothing wrong with Watkins game, against Wolves he played his best game so far, the only thing his performance lacked was a goal.

But if you use that as a metric, Keinan Davis would be Ronaldo or Messi.

I’d rather a striker plays bang average but scores every other game rather than having a player who fills his boots every 5 games but still ends up with a 1:2 goal ratio.

Watkins is miles better than Wes but he needs goals far more regularly than he has done so far.

I honestly think he's been pretty damn great for us. Man has 6 goals in 11 games. It should definitely be 7 in 11 too if not for VAR. If a striker was putting in these kinds of numbers for another team, we'd kill to have him.

I just find some of the criticism of his game bizaare. Its not like he's not doing anything but scoring goals either. He has the best all round game out of all our strikers we've had in recent years.

Like he's not perfect, but it feels like some people are expecting him to put a great performance every game. Not even Jack is that consistent.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I honestly think he's been pretty damn great for us. Man has 6 goals in 11 games. It should definitely be 7 in 11 too if not for VAR. If a striker was putting in these kinds of numbers for another team, we'd kill to have him.

I just find some of the criticism of his game bizaare. Its not like he's not doing anything but scoring goals either. He has the best all round game out of all our strikers we've had in recent years.

Like he's not perfect, but it feels like some people are expecting him to put a great performance every game. Not even Jack is that consistent.

Don’t get me wrong.....Ollie or Wes and it’s Ollie every day of the week. Not for the goals surprisingly (based on his Chumps record) but his all round games.

The problem I have is that unless Jack + other wide player in the 4-3-3 contribute 25+ over the course of the season, any less really need to be scored by your main ST.

So Jack will get his fair share but unless Trez, Traore, El Ghazi (combined) do the same, we’ll not reach out potential unless Watkins scores far more regularly.

Edited by rayk

32 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Exactly. To put it in perspective, Aguero had 6 in his first 11 in his debut Premier League season. The best striker we've had since Benteke and he's being slated...

Â