Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Just now, villianusa said:

Should have thrown him out wide and pushed Davis down the middle for the last ten. He was more likely to create for Davis than visa versa.

He made a lot of good runs, but service was poor tonight.

Agreed.

Leaving aside how absolutely unacceptable it is to play Keinan Davis in the Premier League...on the **** wing?!?

• Like 1

Why couldn't just one of El Ghazi's or Traore's sitters fall to Watkins?

I'm struggling to criticize him because while there was definitely moments tonight he done something stupid, his work rate was undeniable and was a big part of us having so many chances. If Watkins was the one constantly missing chances then I'd be worried but it always seems like he never gets them.

I was more disappointed he actually didn't get on the end of most of the chances given he remains our central option.

Not sure why that is bar combination of things like V4europe says about of his movement drags defenders out of space and gives chances for runners from deep.

One of the early chances he just let the ball run for one of AEG/Traore steaming in (can't remember who it was) so I'd like him to be a bit more forceful and get on the end of every ball as likes of Aguero and Kane would.

Just now, Farlz said:

Why couldn't just one of El Ghazi's or Traore's sitters fall to Watkins?

Very few chances "fell" to El Ghazi, he worked for them. Admittedly he then ballsed them up, but he made most of them.

Don't underestimate the Burnley effect here. They know they won't have the ball so they try and limit chances inside the box and they're very good at it most of the time. It was all wide players getting chances cutting in and the Burnely lumps will throw themselves at those all day. Watckins go no joy centrally but ran in behind and into the channels excellently as usual.

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

He didn't though, did he?

May as well have spent the second half in the crapper playing on his phone.

He had two of the league's toughest CBs either side of him whilst the others wasted chance after chance. There's a reason why we'd play the ball wide on most counters and AEG/Traore were taking up those positions. The only time I recall us finding Watkins with a cross he nearly scored with a strong header (against the aforementioned CBs).

Edited by AV82

AEG and Traore will get loads of stick tonight but chances don't miraculously fall to poor players while a £28 million striker apparently "isn't getting service". 

I love the way he presses and links play but he absolutely needs to be doing more in front of goal, both on the ball and actually getting himself into positions, and it's alright to acknowledge that. You can't have one of the most creative players in the world next to you and blame a lack of service. 

Edited by Indigo
  • Like 2

Not writing him off but at this stage I think it's fair to ask some questions off him. He's scored 6 in 11 which is a very good return. 

However, another way of seeing it is that he's only scored from open play in 2 games, which in contrast is rather poor. 

His general play is rather good, but he doesn't seem to be getting clear chances even in games in which we seem to create a lot.

I think there's a player there but he needs to step his game up and needs to start influencing more games.

I'd rather have a consistent goal scorer than one who scores a brave or a Hattrick once in a blue moon and then doesn't really impact games. 

Before failing to score tonight we'd only scored once in each of the last three, and one of those was a penalty. All our attackers are out of form at the moment, I said before the game they needed a good game in front of goal, but obviously that didn't happen.

I really don't think people understand the tactical job of a lone striker in a 451.

He should be getting goals and he has gotten goals. But his job description involves a lot more.

The fact that we had 27 shots and didn’t score doesn't mean he had a bad match. He did lots of good stuff. The clinical problem lies at our midfield.

Â