Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

I’m not angry because we haven’t won. I’m angry because the reason we haven’t won is we don’t have a decent wide player at the club and it’s been that way since we got relegated.

Jack Grealish is the best left sided player in the Premier League because he’s probably one of, if not, the best player in the Premier League. He’d be the best player for us if he played centre half. 

He is a number 10. And that’s where he should be playing for us. Not out wide. Playing him out wide masks our deficiencies in that position. We should have gone into last summer and signed a good right winger and a good left winger. Notice how I don’t use the word ‘quality’. I’m not after Jack Grealish quality because it doesn’t exist. I’m after ‘good’. That’s all, ‘good’. ‘Good’ sees us win the game tonight, it sees us beat West Ham and it sees us beat Brighton. 

We are so obviously,  desperately poor in the wide areas it’s becoming a bit farcical. Who went out to France and watched Traore and said, ‘that’s our guy’. Who is paid however much he’s paid to go and watch that lad and think, ‘He’s our new right winger?’ Like, it makes me so angry. Who’s accountable for that? Who? Whoever did, needs to be sacked. 

How much longer do we need to put up with Trezeguet and El Ghazi starting games for us? And now, for good measure, we throw Traore into that category. 

Honestly, we don’t even need a brilliant wide player. We need an Andros Townsend, a Dwight McNeil, a Jarrod Bowen. Just someone half decent who stops f****** missing absolute sitters week in, week out and who can put a decent cross in every now and then. 

We could be such a good side. We have an outstanding keeper. Our back 4 has gelled. Luiz and McGinn aren’t spectacular but they’re solid and they complement each other. Grealish is world, world class and Watkins will be a threat and get better. If we just had one good winger, we be challenging the top 6. 

Please, please sign a decent wide player in January. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

We are so obviously,  desperately poor in the wide areas it’s becoming a bit farcical. Who went out to France and watched Traore and said, ‘that’s our guy’. Who is paid however much he’s paid to go and watch that lad and think, ‘He’s our new right winger?’ Like, it makes me so angry. Who’s accountable for that? Who? Whoever did, needs to be sacked. 

How much longer do we need to put up with Trezeguet and El Ghazi starting games for us? And now, for good measure, we throw Traore into that category.

Yes it's painful isn't it.

So far away from what we needed.

26 minutes ago, AV82 said:

If Watkins had those chances I guarantee we'd have won the game.

AEG created his chances, Watkins created Jack shit.

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Yes it's painful isn't it.

So far away from what we needed.

It really is. We’ve signed a player in Watkins who finishes chances in the box and all we need is a half decent winger who can provide or, here’s a novel idea, hit the target with a shot once in a while. 

I don’t want to be that armchair fan who thinks he knows more than football people within the club, paid to do football things but seriously, how is it allowed that a person can scout Traore and spend 17m on him? He’s not particularly bad and he’ll be decent as a rotation option now and again but he’s just not up to starting for us and to spend 17m on a player who doesn’t start isn’t something we can afford with the FFP restrictions around us. 

Really, really frustrating. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jim said:

AEG created his chances, Watkins created Jack shit.

It's a team game. Maybe AEG should have passed a couple of those chances off after he realized he didn't have his shooting boots on. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’m not angry because we haven’t won. I’m angry because the reason we haven’t won is we don’t have a decent wide player at the club and it’s been that way since we got relegated.

Jack Grealish is the best left sided player in the Premier League because he’s probably one of, if not, the best player in the Premier League. He’d be the best player for us if he played centre half. 

He is a number 10. And that’s where he should be playing for us. Not out wide. Playing him out wide masks our deficiencies in that position. We should have gone into last summer and signed a good right winger and a good left winger. Notice how I don’t use the word ‘quality’. I’m not after Jack Grealish quality because it doesn’t exist. I’m after ‘good’. That’s all, ‘good’. ‘Good’ sees us win the game tonight, it sees us beat West Ham and it sees us beat Brighton. 

Honestly, we don’t even need a brilliant wide player. We need an Andros Townsend, a Dwight McNeil, a Jarrod Bowen. Just someone half decent who stops f****** missing absolute sitters week in, week out and who can put a decent cross in every now and then. 

We could be such a good side. We have an outstanding keeper. Our back 4 has gelled. Luiz and McGinn aren’t spectacular but they’re solid and they complement each other. Grealish is world, world class and Watkins will be a threat and get better. If we just had one good winger, we be challenging the top 6. 

Agreed. This match really showed how important it was to snag a player like Rashica in the summer. Hopefully we can pull him off or a similar type winger in January.

33 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Hasn't Grealish got all his goals and been elevated to the England squad from out wide.

I'd leave him out wide myself.

There's always a notion that you're best player should play number 10 - I'm not totally on board with it myself.

25 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It really is. We’ve signed a player in Watkins who finishes chances in the box and all we need is a half decent winger who can provide or, here’s a novel idea, hit the target with a shot once in a while. 

I don’t want to be that armchair fan who thinks he knows more than football people within the club, paid to do football things but seriously, how is it allowed that a person can scout Traore and spend 17m on him? He’s not particularly bad and he’ll be decent as a rotation option now and again but he’s just not up to starting for us and to spend 17m on a player who doesn’t start isn’t something we can afford with the FFP restrictions around us. 

Really, really frustrating. 

I could understand more if he had ripped up trees in his career to date ....but it looked a ropey signing at the time.

I think he's being unfairly slated. He's looked very good on the counter and our team as a whole generally tend to struggle when being allowed to dominate play. Yes, he didn't look great today trying to create something, but other times he did get into some really good positions and was just waiting for the ball to reach him, but instead it ended up being blazed over the bar. If we had someone other than Grealish who could play a decent ball into the box, I'm sure he would have scored today.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

He is still very raw.

But he holds the ball up well and is linking up the play well. Seem to have a good understanding with Jack and Targett.

This guy will be class. We just have to be patient.

Yes he is raw and he needs someone working with him, possibly one to one. He may have that I’m not sure but if he does I’m not sure who given the make up of our staff.

I said it with Wesley and the same is true with Watkins they need a been there and done it PL striker as a coach a couple of days a week working on their game just as Terry is doing with the CB’s.

Â