Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It's all well and good saying "if he's done this he would have scored". He didn't. And it wasn't a one off. He's missed 66% of his penalties. That's an appalling record, albeit a relatively small sample size.

Maybe he can correct it. But this isn't some 18 year old starlet. He's 24. Maybe he just isn't that good at penalties?

Either way I doubt he'll be on them for Villa anymore

Your missing the point completely. Your writing him off because he missed a penalty, you can focus on the outcome, or you can focus on the process. Those who can’t, focus on the outcome. Technically he did everything right, except that he lent 3-4 degrees too far back when delivering the kick. It can be corrected.It’s also interesting that people are focussing on his past six attempts rather than his record with Villa. He’s 9 games into being a PL player, he will make errors and unlike you who never makes mistakes, he will learn from them and become a better player and a better penalty taker.

It's all well and good saying "if he's done this he would have scored". He didn't. And it wasn't a one off. He's missed 66% of his penalties. That's an appalling record, albeit a relatively small sample size.

Maybe he can correct it. But this isn't some 18 year old starlet. He's 24. Maybe he just isn't that good at penalties?

Either way I doubt he'll be on them for Villa anymore

So should he just give up on them or what? 

I don’t think he is cut out for penalties. Some strikers just aren’t no matter how good they are at finishing. It becomes a mental thing. Nothing to do with technique.

JPA is another good example of this. 

Im surprised Grealish doesn’t take them. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Your missing the point completely. Your writing him off because he missed a penalty, you can focus on the outcome, or you can focus on the process. Those who can’t, focus on the outcome. Technically he did everything right, except that he lent 3-4 degrees too far back when delivering the kick. It can be corrected.It’s also interesting that people are focussing on his past six attempts rather than his record with Villa. He’s 9 games into being a PL player, he will make errors and unlike you who never makes mistakes, he will learn from them and become a better player and a better penalty taker.

Who said I was writing him off?

I really like him as a player, I think he’s been a great signing and I’m excited to see how he progresses. 

We’re purely talking about penalty taking here and his record is poor. You can justify it by saying “3-4 degrees” but he’s missed a lot. 

You can reduce this to childish insults like implying that I don’t think he should ever make mistakes if you like. All I’ve said is he’s not very good at penalties and somebody else should take them

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, lexicon said:

So should he just give up on them or what? 

Bit of a weird question. 

No, he shouldn’t. That would be stupid. But maybe somebody else should be taking our penalties. 

Mental suggestion I know. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bit of a weird question. 

No, he shouldn’t. That would be stupid. But maybe somebody else should be taking our penalties. 

Mental suggestion I know. 

The problem, as we've been discussing, is if there is anyone better - and I can't really see any outstanding candidates.

56 minutes ago, lexicon said:

The problem, as we've been discussing, is if there is anyone better - and I can't really see any outstanding candidates.

Its funny, because I here so often from the Pro's that you can't practice for penalties.....I think I get that.

when you think about it they are doing that all day every day......its about nerves in the main.

You need players with nerves of steel.....I think we are short of them in the squad.

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its funny, because I here so often from the Pro's that you can't practice for penalties.....I think I get that.

when you think about it they are doing that all day every day......its about nerves in the main.

You need players with nerves of steel.....I think we are short of them in the squad.

You'd probably have to look to Jack for that. Mings certainly has the bottle, but probably not the technique!

5 minutes ago, lexicon said:

You'd probably have to look to Jack for that. Mings certainly has the bottle, but probably not the technique!

I am not trying to be argumentative....but I am not so sure.

When he first come, I was in no doubt.....but now, doesn't attack the ball in the box enough for me, just lets it hit him on the head, slight exaggeration, but if you get my drift....seems indecisive at times....bit gangly, not penalty taking material.

Jack has enough confidence to start breeding it....but not sure what he is like at penalty taking.

I think we need a few characters to do it.

Edited by TRO

Just now, TRO said:

I am not trying to be argumentative....but I am not so sure.

When he first come, I was in no doubt.....but now, doesn't attack the ball in the box enough for me, just lets it hit him on the head, slight exaggeration, but if you get my drift....seems indecisive at times....bit gangly, not penalty taking material.

Jack has enough confidence to start breeding it.

I think we need a few characters to do it.

In fairness to Tyrone, he's scored as many goals this season as last already and is 30% up on the number of aerial duels he wins on average. I agree that sometimes he'll have a bit of a brainfart but he does recover well from them and is mentally strong enough to not let it ruin the rest of his game. I don't think I've ever watched a game and come close to thinking that we needed to take him off. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, lexicon said:

In fairness to Tyrone, he's scored as many goals this season as last already and is 30% up on the number of aerial duels he wins on average. I agree that sometimes he'll have a bit of a brainfart but he does recover well from them and is mentally strong enough to not let it ruin the rest of his game. I don't think I've ever watched a game and come close to thinking that we needed to take him off. 

No, I would'nt want to see him dropped, I guess I am just being picky.....whether England  has affected him, I don't know, just doesn't seem quite as dominant lately for me.....but generally, I like him.

I guess they are Human first and players second.

Edited by TRO

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

No, I would'nt want to see him dropped, I guess I am just being picky.....whether England  has affected him, I don't know, just doesn't seem quite as dominant lately for me.....but generally, I like him.

I guess they are Human first and players second.

The sort of weird thing with Tyrone is that he's still learning at 27 because he hasn't played the number of games you'd expect for someone of his age (due to injury etc.). He's a valuable member of the side, for me, and I think his partnership with Konsa is progressing nicely. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dubbs said:

Not give up,  but certainly give someone else the responsibility of taking them. 

trouble is, Goal scorers just want to score goals its what they get measured by.

I guess if you could score from a throw in, they would want to take them too.

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t think he is cut out for penalties. Some strikers just aren’t no matter how good they are at finishing. It becomes a mental thing. Nothing to do with technique.

JPA is another good example of this. 

Im surprising Grealish doesn’t take them. 

Grealish didn't take them because he missed the last one for us and its not like he's had a prolific record at penalties prior.

15 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Grealish didn't take them because he missed the last one for us and its not like he's had a prolific record at penalties prior.

Which is surprising considering how confident he is. 

I think Luiz could be a good penalty taker. A very self assured player and also a good striker of the ball. 

Miss the days when we had Tammy and Jimmy Danger on penalties. They missed the occasional one but I was always confident. Benteke to a lesser degree. Milner and Young were money from the spot too, though Young started to tail off when he started believing his own hype around 2010/11.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Miss the days when we had Tammy and Jimmy Danger on penalties. They missed the occasional one but I was always confident. Benteke to a lesser degree. Milner and Young were money from the spot too, though Young started to tail off when he started believing his own hype around 2010/11.

Barry was the penalty king. I don't remember him missing one.

22 minutes ago, abdomlahor said:

Barry was the penalty king. I don't remember him missing one.

I might be remembering it wrong, but that 4-4 against Chelsea I think he missed and scored the rebound. Probably not, he was deadly from 6 yards.

Â