Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

18 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Hope you all noticed your eventual replacement of Oli and then Tony scored for Finland against France last night.Marcus Forss remember the name.

So you're saying may the Forss be with us?

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, YouUnastanFren said:

I've thought this all season but I've kept it to myself because saying it out loud or writing it down makes me sound ridiculous.

He reminds me of RVP.

4x6l.gif

As you say he's deadly with both feet, strong in the air despite not being enormous, quick, willing to drop into space, covers absolute acres of ground. Are we describing Watkins here or RVP?

Admittedly this is slightly tongue in cheek as he's clearly not as good (yet) but if we're trying to find a striker with a similar play style RVP is the man imho.

Don't see it at all. 

RVP had a wand of a left peg, could score curlers from range, take free kicks etc 

Watkins seems to me to be more of a poacher with good hold up play. His goals all seem to be in and around the 6 yard box (not a negative at all) 

I've been really impressed by his ability to take the ball down and hold it up with a defender behind him, considering he's not the biggest striker in the world. 

4 minutes ago, handsworthvilla said:

Don't see it at all. 

RVP had a wand of a left peg, could score curlers from range, take free kicks etc 

AFAIK in his entire 492 game career RVP scored 10 free kicks, just 6 in the PL.

Harder to find the stats for his whole career but <10% of his PL goals were from outside the box, including the free kicks.

I think Watkins 2nd goal against Liverpool showed he can find the top corner, even though that one was only from 13 yards. I expect him to chip in with the odd one from further out but it's not a major part of either's game.

Also >60% of RVP's goals came from within the 6 yard box, which I expect to be similar to Watkins going forward.

Again, not saying he's near that level yet. Just that his playing style reminds me of him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YouUnastanFren said:

AFAIK in his entire 492 game career RVP scored 10 free kicks, just 6 in the PL.

Harder to find the stats for his whole career but <10% of his PL goals were from outside the box, including the free kicks.

I think Watkins 2nd goal against Liverpool showed he can find the top corner, even though that one was only from 13 yards. I expect him to chip in with the odd one from further out but it's not a major part of either's game.

Also >60% of RVP's goals came from within the 6 yard box, which I expect to be similar to Watkins going forward.

Again, not saying he's near that level yet. Just that his playing style reminds me of him.

RvP started as a #10, it's only later in his career that he started playing as a poacher. He scored all kinds of goals. Think about his hat trick against us at Old Trafford. Ollie just can't do that yet. A similar striker we had recently would be Kodjia I would say. Or even Ayew. Ollie is like a mix between Gabby and Darren Bent.

38 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

RvP started as a #10, it's only later in his career that he started playing as a poacher.

He played a bit as a second striker but he was still making runs in behind more than playing between the lines. Actually I'm pretty sure he quite often played as a left winger in his early years. Sound like anyone else? 😄

He scored all kinds of goals.

Agreed, left foot, right foot, headers, <10% outside the box, >60% inside the 6 yard box. Like Watkins.

Ehd7tQoXcAIPHlv?format=jpg&name=900x900

Think about his hat trick against us at Old Trafford. Ollie just can't do that yet.

You're right he can't, but only because all 3 of the **** should've been ruled out for offside! Watkins will need to wait for VAR to be removed to score an offside hattrick.

Jokes aside the first was a poachers goal in the 6 yard box, and the last was great composure under some pressure like Watkins' first against Liverpool. The volleyed banger admittedly is something I haven't seen yet but it'll come I'm sure. He struck one a bit similar last season for Brentford but not first time on the run. I can't remember who against, I think it would've been the right of the two stars outside the box.

Edit - Here it is, filmed on a potato

Ollie is like a mix between Gabby and Darren Bent.

He's got far more link up and hold up ability than both imho. Also he's two footed and covers loads more ground. And better first touch.

Edited by YouUnastanFren

2 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

He played a bit as a second striker but he was still making runs in behind more than playing between the lines. Actually I'm pretty sure he quite often played as a left winger in his early years. Sound like anyone else? 😄

Agreed, left foot, right foot, headers, <10% outside the box, >60% inside the 6 yard box. Like Watkins.

Ehd7tQoXcAIPHlv?format=jpg&name=900x900

You're right he can't, but only because all 3 of the **** should've been ruled out for offside! Watkins will need to wait for VAR to be removed to score an offside hattrick.

Jokes aside the first was a poachers goal in the 6 yard box, and the last was great composure under some pressure like Watkins' first against Liverpool. The volleyed banger admittedly is something I haven't seen yet but it'll come I'm sure. He struck one a bit similar last season for Brentford but not first time on the run. I can't remember who against, I think it would've been the right of the two stars outside the box.

He's got far more link up and hold up ability than both imho. Also he's two footed and covers loads more ground. And better first touch.

He played as a #10 for Feyenoord, and Arsenal signed him as a future replacement for Bergkamp. He started his Arsenal career out wide to accommodate Henry and Bergkamp who were still doing the business. When he eventually became the main man, he was already converted by Wenger to a striker. He was never a natural winger.

I'm just referring to his style of play. That he scored most of his goals in the box is immaterial, he was a striker, that's to be expected. By that logic, we could say he's similar to Jermaine Defore as well, which obviously isn't true. You could tell from the way he and Ollie play. Ollie plays like a pacy winger that was converted to a CF, and RvP played more like a second striker/ACM that was converted to a CF. Like I said, Ollie reminds me of Gabby when he played through the middle, with the predatory instincts of Bent, but with way more ability than both as you say. Again, I'm just referring to style here.

59 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I'm just referring to his style of play. That he scored most of his goals in the box is immaterial, he was a striker, that's to be expected. By that logic, we could say he's similar to Jermaine Defore as well, which obviously isn't true. You could tell from the way he and Ollie play. Ollie plays like a pacy winger that was converted to a CF, and RvP played more like a second striker/ACM that was converted to a CF

I don't really agree to be honest, you're right RVP did play second striker/ No. 10 a bit for Feyenoord (not as much as he played CF I don't think) but he was never amazing there, whereas at his best he played like the archetypal complete CF imo, as does Watkins. On the shoulder and dropping deep, multiple times a game. Also >20% of his goals with both weaker foot and his head, unlike Defoe and most other strikers. The only reason I pointed out how few goals he scored from outside the area was because that was used as an example of something he did that Watkins doesn't. Plenty of players who are unlike them scored a far larger percentage from range.

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Like I said, Ollie reminds me of Gabby when he played through the middle, with the predatory instincts of Bent, but with way more ability than both as you say. Again, I'm just referring to style here.

I think that is massively underplaying OW's competence with his weaker foot, his proficiency in the air, the power and quality with which he strikes the ball with both feet and the amount of problems his work rate causes defenders. I think the RVP hat trick game you mentioned was a perfect example of something similar. He ran our defence ragged with his movement which gave their other players room to create chances for him.

We're probably just going to have to agree to disagree though. 👍 I'm aware the comparison I made is overly complimentary and bordering on ridiculous.

Like you I'm just talking about the style, the style in which he strikes the ball, moves, finds space, works the channels, can take any type of chance, occupies defenders.

On 12/11/2020 at 11:18, KenjiOgiwara said:

It's very rare to see a striker being so versatile. He works hard, he's capable of going wide, going deep, runs the channels, good hold-up play, scores with his right left and head. Even converted a penalty the Brentford fans claims he is awful at. 

I'm slightly confused what striker you can compare him to. Klinsmann? 

Jon Dahl Tomasson was a similar type player from memory

On 10/11/2020 at 22:12, Zatman said:

Interesting that in recent weeks the Tammy talk from people on here has completely disappeared. I think Watkins is not far off Tammy level at the moment and arguably offers more to our team though Tammy was quite good at pressing the defenders as well

Tammy is a quality player and somehow i'd like both Ollie and Tammy in the same team, but don't think it would work as they both are better centrally. That being said, I think Tammy would thrive in this team as well. 

On 12/11/2020 at 13:37, Brentfordnylons said:

Marcus Forss remember the name.

I watched him on loan at AFC Wimbledon last season. I really rate him he's a good player.

Mark Harrison (Academy Manager) at Villa will know about him too as Forss was in the West Bromwich |Academy for number of years before signing for yourselves.

Edited by Villan4Life

I love how 2 footed he is. That left foot finish against Arsenal is as good as anything you’ll see from a premier league striker on their stronger foot. He will score so many goals by not having to shift it on to his stronger foot all the time, avoiding an extra touch. The best strikers these days take their shots quickly before the goal keepers and defenders have even got their feet set. 

• Like 2

Â