Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

11 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

He needs to be put to practicing penalties for the next week with a coach shouting at him "hard and low" before he takes each one so he doesnt forget.

Not sure he'll take the next one. Think one of the Brentford guys said he wasn't good at penalties at all for them and quickly stopped taking them.

We were spoilt for years with Barry, Young and Milner taking them. Young was probably the weakest of the three and he still scored 5-6 a season.

Would get Jack back on them given his general form.

43 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I thought he was shit tonight.  Poorly positioned most of the game. Horrific penalty and just made a mess of a lot of the moves today.

This is why we need another striker on the bench to challenge him

He's leading the line by himself for the majority of the game, what he's doing is pulling wide or at least away from the 2 CBs and Rice, he can't just sit there up top like Carew, Benteke, or Davis, that's not his game, it's movement in to space trying to stretch them and link up

Add to that he's still isolated for too much of the game, we aren't close enough to him 

The pen miss is obviously poor, the other miss in the 1st half was a hard chance to take on 

I like him a lot, still raw, still developing but he's made a huge difference to us

Got a great 1st touch at times too bringing down long balls 

And ill have to go back and watch it but I'm sure Jack's penalty vs West ham last season was very similar 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

I've said this before about Watkins.

At Brentford he played on the line and had benrahma running with him playing balls in front of him to run on to. Grealish set up at arsenal as an example.

We don't play like that and often its long balls at 100 mph in to him. He can do but its not his game and think the frustration shows and he had a game like tonight.

Suprised seeing his pen stats he took it.

There is a player there if used properly all the time 

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

He's leading the line by himself for the majority of the game, what he's doing is pulling wide or at least away from the 2 CBs and Rice, he can't just sit there up top like Carew, Benteke, or Davis, that's not his game, it's movement in to space trying to stretch them and link up

Add to that he's still isolated for too much of the game, we aren't close enough to him 

The pen miss is obviously poor, the other miss in the 1st half was a hard chance to take on 

I like him a lot, still raw, still developing but he's made a huge difference to us

Got a great 1st touch at times too bringing down long balls 

And ill have to go back and watch it but I'm sure Jack's penalty vs West ham last season was very similar 

He drifts a lot on the wing. It wont suprise me if he plays on the left when wes is back. 

He can be frustrating at times as often will play a poor pass at something so simple.

Jurys still out for me as he is abit inconsistent 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

He drifts a lot on the wing. It wont suprise me if he plays on the left when wes is back. 

He can be frustrating at times as often will play a poor pass at something so simple.

Even if he used to play on the wing for Brentford, I can't see him there at this level. Andre Green vibes.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think he has to because that's where the space is for him, don't start central in between 2 6ft 5" CBs and a 40 yard pass aimed at your chest cos it's not going to work 

Jack drifts, defender follows him Ollie takes up the space and then works in from there, it makes sense 

Agree he's inconsistent but think that's the step up and his age, if he was a 28 year old with 10 PL seasons to his name then I'd be worried, couple of years and he'll be as fondly thought of as Benteke, Carew, angel etc he'll get 10+ goals this year if he stays fit 

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think he has to because that's where the space is for him, don't start central in between 2 6ft 5" CBs and a 40 yard pass aimed at your chest cos it's not going to work 

Jack drifts, defender follows him Ollie takes up the space and then works in from there, it makes sense 

Agree he's inconsistent but think that's the step up and his age, if he was a 28 year old with 10 PL seasons to his name then I'd be worried, couple of years and he'll be as fondly thought of as Benteke, Carew, angel etc he'll get 10+ goals this year if he stays fit 

Still think it was a big miss not getting in a Wilson type aswell. Not sure why we just gave up on another striker once he went to Newcastle. Now Davis has gone missing from 18 again it's not convincing enough options to throw on Traore and AEG as the plan B options as both have plenty to prove still.

Hopefully get one in January. We must have the fewest set of strikers in premier league? Chelsea only play one upfront yet they had Werner wide of Abraham and Giroud and Pulisic to put on at the weekend so I don't get this argument we don't need another striker especially if Wes isn't coming back until March now.

Edited by VillaChris

7 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

It's almost weird how he's scored so many goals for how nervous he is constantly. Looks like he's shitting himself all the time.

I don't see him like this at all. He comes across as confident and hard working for me. His general play is good. Shame about the penalty though.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rolta said:

I don't see him like this at all. He comes across as confident and hard working for me. His general play is good. Shame about the penalty though.

Hard working yes. Not confident for me. He often stumbles on the ball or breaks down moves because he doesn't seem assured and is panicking. 

It doesn't fit with his personality or his goal tally, which is excellent.

5 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

It’s funny how small the margins are. His penalty that is described as horrific in this thread is the width of half the crossbar away from being a perfect, unstoppable penalty.

Better players than Watkins have missed penalties and it could have been any of our other players who missed it to. The fact that he managed to grab himself a goal before the end of the game showed a good response even if it was ruled out in the end. 

There was no need though. He hits penalty exactly like he did v Southampton and he scores.

I always think if player is a little unsure in himself on penalties he should just go down the middle as keeper will pretty much always dive. Troy Deeney seems to do that every single penalty and scores the vast majority of his. Ashley Young also tended to do it if he'd missed one recently for us.

Edited by VillaChris

Just now, VillaChris said:

There was no need though. He hits penalty exactly like he did v Southampton and he scores.

I always think if player is a little unsure in himself on penalties he should just go down the middle as keeper will pretty much always dive. Troy Deeney seems to do that every single penalty and scores the vast majority of his.

Literally the most likely position to score. But if you do end up missing you look like an absolute mug. Our players need to be able to do either Lewandowskis run up or the Fernandes/jorghinho penalty where they do the weird jump before shooting. It catches keepers off guard. 

Â