Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Just now, Exeter Fan said:

Not suggesting stats are everything, but Opta, who are pretty adept at this kind of analysis, give Premier League players a Performance Score after every game. Thus far this season, Watkins is averaging 93 and Bamford 69.

Football Index is another half-decent measure of relative value. On there Watkins is priced at 1.39, Bamford at 0.95, and Wilson at 0.74.

You must be proud of your boy

I don't think Wesley or Davis score the goals he did against Arsenal and that's why he is so valuable to us. For the Barkley cross especially, he gambled that Barkley would do exactly what he did and it paid off. It's that kind of intuition and positional play that separates the decent strikers to the good ones. 

Areas he needs to work on are his passing and his hold up play could be a little better.

Overall though, he's had a fantastic start to his Villa career and will only get better. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I don't think Wesley or Davis score the goals he did against Arsenal and that's why he is so valuable to us.

They wouldn't.

Wesley would probably be dilly dallying in midfield try to join in on the build up play.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

They wouldn't.

Wesley would probably be dilly dallying in midfield try to join in on the build up play.

He did score against them last season to be fair - was a clinical finish from a few yards out. His positioning was the same as Watkins' was for the second on Sunday.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

You must be proud of your boy

Gutted I'm not in Exeter (I left England when lockdown was announced) for a kick around with him as he's back a few days over the International break. I hear the boys were gunna say he can only use his left foot but the way he's playing now it's not even a disadvantage!

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I don't think Wesley or Davis score the goals he did against Arsenal and that's why he is so valuable to us. For the Barkley cross especially, he gambled that Barkley would do exactly what he did and it paid off. It's that kind of intuition and positional play that separates the decent strikers to the good ones. 

Areas he needs to work on are his passing and his hold up play could be a little better.

Overall though, he's had a fantastic start to his Villa career and will only get better. 

Davis would have been there. But then headed it over. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, messi11 said:

7 games played 6 goals. Great start!. 15 goals this season shud be the aim

He should be aiming for 20 now, especially if he's going to be taking the penalties. Given the current VAR/Handball situation there will be a lot of them.  

It's very rare to see a striker being so versatile. He works hard, he's capable of going wide, going deep, runs the channels, good hold-up play, scores with his right left and head. Even converted a penalty the Brentford fans claims he is awful at. 

I'm slightly confused what striker you can compare him to. Klinsmann? 

6 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It's very rare to see a striker being so versatile. He works hard, he's capable of going wide, going deep, runs the channels, good hold-up play, scores with his right left and head. Even converted a penalty the Brentford fans claims he is awful at. 

I'm slightly confused what striker you can compare him to. Klinsmann? 

I've thought this all season but I've kept it to myself because saying it out loud or writing it down makes me sound ridiculous.

He reminds me of RVP.

4x6l.gif

As you say he's deadly with both feet, strong in the air despite not being enormous, quick, willing to drop into space, covers absolute acres of ground. Are we describing Watkins here or RVP?

Admittedly this is slightly tongue in cheek as he's clearly not as good (yet) but if we're trying to find a striker with a similar play style RVP is the man imho.

I have to say I find it a little ridiculous to say Ollie needs to improve his hold up play. His an athletic 5'10 -11 build. So he's never going to bully defenders that for the most part stand at least 6 foot. His hold up play is already very good for a man of his size and much of that is down to his touch, control and balance as opposed to strength.

The fact is there is very little he can do to improve that area of his game bar bulking up. Bulking up however is the last thing he should do as his biggest strength is his mobility, namely pace, stamina, and maneuverability.

For me he just needs experience which will benefit his decision making, and as with any attacker to keep on honing his finishing and first touch.

We have a guy entering his prime with a great attitude, hunger and willingness to learn, who is a fine athlete, with very sound technique all round. We are very fortunate to have him and so long as he has luck with injuries and plays regularly will prove to be a top striker.

When I first heard of rumours linking him to a move to VP I was sceptical. Knew little about him bars his goals record and he was a converted winger. The more is heard, the more I warmed to the idea, which eventually lead to me believing he would be a decent prem striker who could be a back up striker once we establish ourselves as a force in this league again. 

Now I believe he is going to be an England International and consistent 20 goal a season striker. Well done Dean Smith on getting this guy in.

• Like 1

Â