Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

The big chance for him was the one before the trez chances, did so much good hard work in the build up then completely messed it up when in front of goal

The one after the mings effort looped in the air I genuinely believe that he was just waiting to see where it landed, if he challenges the keeper or tries to nod it in then it's 99/100 a foul, imagine the original "effort"* going in and then getting ruled out because Watkins put the keeper under pressure, that's what football is now unfortunately 

If you do think that one off the line was a bad miss then you add in the scuffed one then the one where white made a goal saving tackle and I'll put him down as the penalty taker... If things go our way today he's had a poor game and scored 4 goals 

* that mings chance was maybe the worst miss of the game, not sure he was trying to do but he did the wrong thing 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

No service for Watkins today, losing Barkley won't have helped but he didn't get much help from those around him.

Problem also is Brighton swarmed him, end of the game they had four Centre-halves on.

Half the problem was when there was a ball in the box Watkins was nowhere to be seen!

4 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I think he's getting off lightly today. Bottling that chance off the line was inexcusable. 

which chance? the freak chance from Mings shin that Ryan made a bizarre save. Nobody could read where that ball was going even the keeper

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

which chance? the freak chance from Mings shin that Ryan made a bizarre save. Nobody could read where that ball was going even the keeper

Yeah I think its harsh being critical of him on that one.

The only thing I think he can be criticised on today was the one where the defender gets across him from the cross. The top forwards in the league wouldn't have waited for the ball, they'd have anticipated the challenge and stepped in front of the defender and likely got a pen.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He got a bit crowded out today as sole attacker against 3 centre halves so had to keep coming out wide. Problem was there was nobody to get in to the box to fill the space he would leave. Something Barkley would normally do.

Would like us to get in another forward in January given Davis went AWOL yet again.

I do think for these type of games playing him wider could help as was a tough ask v the 3 CBs and he's shown he can drift wide and stretch teams a bit more.

Rashford used to be seen as a CF coming through but now everyone agrees he's better on left of front 3.

Everything is working well in away games but we've just lost 3 straight at VP by mainly mid table teams (Southampton will probably drop to 8th or 9th by end of season) so this idea our first 11 is perfect and no one in world football is good enough to replace any of them is a little misguided as we need more quality options for these type of opposition.

From seeing the Trez chance I actually thought he should've been finishing that off anyway before it even got to Trez but perhaps the cross was a touch behind him so couldn't quite adjust his feet quickly enough.

I am very impressed by how technically good he is, Brentford taught him very well. Getting in a Rashica type as another option for front 3 and we would've been amazing to watch in final third, currently we've been very good in most games.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Would like us to get in another forward in January given Davis went AWOL yet again.

I do think for these type of games playing him wider could help as was a tough ask v the 3 CBs and he's shown he can drift wide and stretch teams a bit more.

Rashford used to be seen as a CF coming through but now everyone agrees he's better on left of front 3.

Everything is working well in away games but we've just lost 3 straight at VP by mainly mid table teams (Southampton will probably drop to 8th or 9th by end of season) so this idea our first 11 is perfect and no one in world football is good enough to replace any of them is a little misguided as we need more quality options for these type of opposition.

From seeing the Trez chance I actually thought he should've been finishing that off anyway before it even got to Trez but perhaps the cross was a touch behind him so couldn't quite adjust his feet quickly enough.

I am very impressed by how technically good he is, Brentford taught him very well. Getting in a Rashica type as another option for front 3 and we would've been amazing to watch in final third, currently we've been very good in most games.

Excellent post 👍

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I’ve been impressed with his ability to run with the ball out wide. At one point he put a peach of a cross in which was begging to be finished by Ollie himself! 

Also watching back the goal line clearance I don’t think he bottled it. We’ve already seen how he throws himself at headers. I think he thought the ball was going in so left it. In hindsight he should have thrown himself at it.

I do think he should have done better to get on to Jacks cross on the break. He was in a better position for it then White.  The defender should have had to go through him to get the ball so it was either a goal or a penalty/red card. 

18 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Agreed I genuinely can't believe what actually happened there.

Given that Watkins is pretty fearless, I can only imagine he thought a) It was going in anyway, and b) He might have been offside, so best not to touch it over the line. Wrong on both counts, sadly. What a shame. It was just begging to be bundled in with any type of contact.

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Thought he had an incredibly average game. It's a bit of a worry that we struggle to get strikers in games when we're not counter attacking. Saw it with Wes, Samatta and Watkins. Something we need to work on really. 

He kept trying to make things happen but just had no support, he chased the ball down the wing a couple of times and had all the time in the world to put a good ball in, but there was literally nobody up there with him. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ve been impressed with his ability to run with the ball out wide. At one point he put a peach of a cross in which was begging to be finished by Ollie himself! 

Also watching back the goal line clearance I don’t think he bottled it. We’ve already seen how he throws himself at headers. I think he thought the ball was going in so left it. In hindsight he should have thrown himself at it.

I do think he should have done better to get on to Jacks cross on the break. He was in a better position for it then White.  The defender should have had to go through him to get the ball so it was either a goal or a penalty/red card. 

I was thinking the same thing on that cross. Honestly, when he crossed it I got mad for half a second because I was wondering why Ollie wasn't in the box to finish it off. 

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

You can't bundle a ball in any more

It would be a foul on the keeper 

You can bundle a ball in as clumsy as you like – any kind of connection with his head / shoulder / chest / thigh would have put that ball in the net. You just can’t bundle the keeper in if he gets there first. But Watkins was certainly in pole position and completely checked his run while Ryan made up all that ground across his line (I can just imagine what the reaction would have been if that had been Davies or El Ghazi failing to attack the ball).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Five Ken McNaughts said:

You can bundle a ball in as clumsy as you like – any kind of connection with his head / shoulder / chest / thigh would have put that ball in the net. You just can’t bundle the keeper in if he gets there first. But Watkins was certainly in pole position and completely checked his run while Ryan made up all that ground across his line (I can just imagine what the reaction would have been if that had been Davies or El Ghazi failing to attack the ball).

If Watkins jumps in to the keeper at all, regardless of what part of his body put the ball in the net, it would have been ruled out 

Look at the one we had disallowed last year vs them for Wesley fouling the keeper

He has to jump forward so he will inevitably make contact with the keeper, contact with the keeper would be a foul

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

If Watkins jumps in to the keeper at all, regardless of what part of his body put the ball in the net, it would have been ruled out 

Look at the one we had disallowed last year vs them for Wesley fouling the keeper

He has to jump forward so he will inevitably make contact with the keeper, contact with the keeper would be a foul

Think we might have to agree to disagree on this one. Have watched it back several times and to me Watkins has the clear positional advantage – standing where the ball is dropping while the keeper is scrambling across. If Watkins just goes for the ball then, to my mind, he gets their first and scores even if the keeper clatters him. I don’t see any need for Watson to “jump into the keeper” to score that – just jump at the ball (and if the keeper initiates contact with Watkins then the only foul would be on the striker). But, like I say, people see things differently.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, villa4europe said:

You're probably right, but then again if you put the ball in the net there's a small chance it stands, even if it's only small. If you don't put the ball in the net, there's a 0% chance you score.

Â