Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

17 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

I think the whole wage structure at villa is based on a championship model,it really needs to be brought up to speed for the league we are in,as maybe it has a negative bearing on some transfer negotiations

That can only happen gradually. FFP is based on your past three seasons. Two of those seasons we were in the Championship. So by definition it needs to be 2/3 a Championship model. Purslow explained this in an interview a while ago. Every year we stay up we can increase the wage bill significantly.

(Obviously any covid changes to FFP might affect this) 

4 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

My stance on our transfer business keeps coming back to let’s just wait and see. There’s still a month left for us to get the players we need, and obsessing over it all day isn’t good for your mind. 

But I still can’t help myself, a quick scan of VT, Sky Sports and BBC gossip pages, maybe a little delve into the clickbait merchant NewsNow, and an hour of mindless scrolling has passed. None of us can change what’s going to happen, but it doesn’t stop us thinking about it. 

Mine's pretty much the same. I'm sure we could plunder the Belgian league for 3-4 players and bring them in over the next few days, but we are (hopefully) aiming for a bit more quality, which takes time.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I dont recall Percy reporting it but if he did fair enough.

Anyway, I agree. It happens. I'm not upset as I did not want him and I said as much before this story even broke.

It doesn't even mean another club is more attractive. They could be guaranteeing him a start. Bruce has form for that.

In any case, I couldn't care less. I want better than him and think we can and will get better.

Agree, doesn't say too much about the clubs, more about the personal preference of the player. Bruce also seems to be a smooth talker, good at convincing players to join, he talks the talk. Too bad the players don't do their homework and scrutinize how his teams play.

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

What's the point with a sporting director when we are only looking at obvious signings?

Thought they were supposed to find some hidden gems (Like McGinn)

Hidden gems are by definition very difficult to find. How many non hidden gems did we buy before finally getting one? 

7 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

My stance on our transfer business keeps coming back to let’s just wait and see. There’s still a month left for us to get the players we need, and obsessing over it all day isn’t good for your mind. 

But I still can’t help myself, a quick scan of VT, Sky Sports and BBC gossip pages, maybe a little delve into the clickbait merchant NewsNow, and an hour of mindless scrolling has passed. None of us can change what’s going to happen, but it doesn’t stop us thinking about it. 

You’ve just described a normal transfer window day for me. 🤪

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Hidden gems are by definition very difficult to find. How many non hidden gems did we buy before finally getting one? 

At least Suso picked up Luiz for us. I'd call that a gem of a signing. I had never heard of him before signing.

This Lange guy done nothing.

Edited by villalad21

2 minutes ago, thejoker said:

As tenuous a link as possible, but both of these accounts made reference to “Kevin” not far apart.  Tammy Abraham’s first name is Kevin...

I wouldn’t be upset if we had to pay £50 for him as this should’ve been our #1 target from day one. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Slightly concerned that less than a week before the season starts and our only signings is to get a third right back in the squad.

We need 3-4 quality signings before the window slums shut, or it is going to be a tough season again. And that is assuming if Grealish stays.

"It is really hard to buy players today"

"People are picking up hundreds of thousands a year to do exactly that but you dont understand how hard it is."

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thejoker said:

As tenuous a link as possible, but both of these accounts made reference to “Kevin” not far apart.  Tammy Abraham’s first name is Kevin...

Please don't. Don't give my heart this pathetically, desperately slim hope. I will let it in, knowing full well it will crush my dreams again. 😂

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

What's the point with a sporting director when we are only looking at obvious signings?

Thought they were supposed to find some hidden gems (Like McGinn)

I guess the sporting director has a role to play regardless of what type of signing it is.

I would so much want to know the closer details of the procedure, like who takes the initial contacts and how the other parties are contacted, at what point the manager gets involved, also who drafts the agreements and what law firms are involved etc.

The series about Sunderland was really interesting regarding these aspects, but I want to know how it is done at Villa. I want to know zhe egzakt prozedure!

1 hour ago, VillaCas said:

I’m confident that Purslow, Lange and Smith know what is required and I’ll save criticism and panic for if the required players are not signed before the end of the window. 

I predicted 17th last season and can easily see us mid-table 10th-12th with only minimal reinforcements

What do you mean by minimal?

If we don't sign a starting striker, right winger and probably centre mid as well I think we'll be ratting round the bottom three most of the season.

And a keeper. Forgot about that.