Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

8 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

The fact that we’ve spent 16m on a position that wasn’t necessarily a priority gives me hope we’ve got plenty of money to strengthen in the positions we actually need reinforcements. 

For me - CM, AMR, ST. 

If we get those right, we won’t go down. A couple more and I think we can fight for a 8-12th finish. 

would also say LB and GK just below those you mentioned for importance, but as you say, critical we get CM, AMR, ST, then for me a LB to challenge Targett, and a GK to protect against Heaton being injured again would be nice to have's if possible.

3 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

Genuinely getting concened about the state of some VT'ers mental health with all the anguish I'm reading on here.

Staggering amount of trolls joined the site recently. 

It's probably as simple as we are aiming for top players, but they don't see us as a top club currently and waits for other clubs to come in for them. If we were in for Wilson and he chose Newcastle it's probably one of those where a player of one or another reason simply prefers the move to the other club, not much we can do about it.

1 hour ago, nepal_villan said:

What makes you so sure we were CLEARLY in for him?  Frankly, I'm quite surprised at how fans fall for all the speculation on social media. A majority of it is a combination of trolls, click bait, agents using the media and journalists desperate to put out news.

BBC reported it as did John Percy. That’s as definitive as it gets. 

10 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

What’s the issue then in your opinion? Hopefully you’re right. 

I'd say the issue is fans underestimating how complicated these transfers are. Also how difficult it is to attract top quality to a club that was as close as we were to being relegated. 

We can aim as high as we want, but any decent player is going to have other suitors. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Do we ever get definitive proof of anything?

BBC and John Percy have both reported we made bids for Wilson. That’s as good as it gets. 

People are fooling themselves into thinking we were never in for him because they can’t accept a player would pick a different club over us. 

He has. Shit happens. Onto the next target

I dont recall Percy reporting it but if he did fair enough.

Anyway, I agree. It happens. I'm not upset as I did not want him and I said as much before this story even broke.

It doesn't even mean another club is more attractive. They could be guaranteeing him a start. Bruce has form for that.

In any case, I couldn't care less. I want better than him and think we can and will get better.

• Like 2

It's understandable that we are concerned by the lack of signings, but the critisicm of the club and the questioning of the professionalism and ability to get players in is overreacting in my opinion. Jan 2019 we got Mings in and managed to keep Tammy for example, which was great business. Summer 2019 we saw a flurry of new players coming in. Jan 2020 we got Samatta and Reina in.

I think we should have payed a premium if that would have gotten us Webster and Benrahma last summer, but I also understand the decision not to pay what we we think is over the top. Phillips by the reports himself decided to stay. Webster I'm not sure if we wouldn't pay up or if he preferred Brighton.

By all means so far we have seemed professional and got players in, there is still a month to go of the current window and let's see were we are at the end of it. We should have gotten a couple in by now, but as have been said many times this transfer window is not like others, and if players are turning us down because we currently are not a team competing for silwerware or for personal reasons, it's not much we can do. Rather we still try to go for our primary targets than just sign available players for the sake of it. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

I think the whole wage structure at villa is based on a championship model,it really needs to be brought up to speed for the league we are in,as maybe it has a negative bearing on some transfer negotiations

How do you know this? What are you basing this on?

My stance on our transfer business keeps coming back to let’s just wait and see. There’s still a month left for us to get the players we need, and obsessing over it all day isn’t good for your mind. 

But I still can’t help myself, a quick scan of VT, Sky Sports and BBC gossip pages, maybe a little delve into the clickbait merchant NewsNow, and an hour of mindless scrolling has passed. None of us can change what’s going to happen, but it doesn’t stop us thinking about it. 

• Like 1