Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

22 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Leno played on Wednesday in their last friendly and is on the bench today. I'd say Arteta putting Martinez in today is a nod he'll start the season as number one. Think we'll have to wait until January and see if he's still playing then.

Ok agree to disagree on who will start the season as their number one, and agree to agree we probably won’t sign Martinez either way :)

27 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Martinez starting today doesn’t mean he won’t be sold. Leno is on the bench so almost ready to start and it would be extremely unlikely that a goalkeeper would be injured, particularly in what is essentially a preseason friendly. 

He is their cup keeper and this is a cup. They are only playing today because he played and won the FA Cup final. I think it would be harsh to drop him and not surprised he gets the nod.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TRO said:

This is a player we are proposing to be paying £25 mill for.......and how much would we expect for Davies, if we had him up for sale.

We went down this road of goals for, when we signed Guy Whittingham, when the artist was Paul Walsh.......we went down the same road with Tony Cascarino, when his partner Teddy Sheringham was the artist......will we ever learn?

He might be ok....but 25 mill......I wouldn't put my name to it.

I've picked on you Tro, cos i know you will take my response in the context that it is meant, when i could have replied to any number of others that look at raw words and not meaning.

Davis and Watkins, though both strikers, perform two very different roles and have completely different attributes.

As a defensive forward, Davis is someone who holds the ball up and provides an out when the side is under pressure, whilst then bringing others into play when we are on top and in posession.  He isnt there to score lots of goals, but to provide relief, and allow others to run beyond him to do that.  Its no coincidence that our defence fares better and our posession stats improve when he is on the pitch.

Players of this type dont command big fees as they do not do the flashy stuff and dont grab headlines.

Davis and Watkins wont compete with each other, they would be utilised in different circumstances.

In so far as the 25m price tag, i would not pay that for him.  I think we overpaid for Wes, and i think Wes is the better player between him and watkins.  I appreciate Wes is currently injured, but, buying an equal oe lesser version of what you have isnt ambition, which our owners say they have, so i would expect us to be looking to bring in someone better than we have.  I havent seen us linked to a striker i believe to be significantly better.  Belotti would be someone we may perhaps get, but there are many others across Europe well within our reach.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

I have been lurking on here mate just not posting very often over last few months as been giving my fingers a rest.

Wise man

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Totally agree.. i am somewhat extremely disappointed with our links and players we are closing in on currently and our owners speak a good game but its baffling how we are not trying to bring in higher quality calibre of players im not saying bid for Benzema but John Swift and Co 🤦🏽‍♂️ .. its stressing me out not having any players linked where i can be optimistic and a little bit excited about. Lange hasnt filled me with much confidence so far.

Oh right. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

I've picked on you Tro, cos i know you will take my response in the context that it is meant, when i could have replied to any number of others that look at raw words and not meaning.

Davis and Watkins, though both strikers, perform two very different roles and have completely different attributes.

As a defensive forward, Davis is someone who holds the ball up and provides an out when the side is under pressure, whilst then bringing others into play when we are on top and in posession.  He isnt there to score lots of goals, but to provide relief, and allow others to run beyond him to do that.  Its no coincidence that our defence fares better and our posession stats improve when he is on the pitch.

Players of this type dont command big fees as they do not do the flashy stuff and dont grab headlines.

Davis and Watkins wont compete with each other, they would be utilised in different circumstances.

In so far as the 25m price tag, i would not pay that for him.  I think we overpaid for Wes, and i think Wes is the better player between him and watkins.  I appreciate Wes is currently injured, but, buying an equal oe lesser version of what you have isnt ambition, which our owners say they have, so i would expect us to be looking to bring in someone better than we have.  I havent seen us linked to a striker i believe to be significantly better.  Belotti would be someone we may perhaps get, but there are many others across Europe well within our reach.

I can't argue with that.

i was merely trying to say, clubs want us to pay through the nose for  their players and nick ours, for next to nothing

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Be surprised if they let him go for £10m given his form at the back end of last season. I like the look of him though. Would be our first ever Argentine no?

Luis Oscar Fulloné Arce in 1967

Then 

Gustavo Bartelt on loan from Roma in 2000 who didn't play a game for us.

Edited by Villan4Life

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

I can't argue with that.

i was merely trying to say, clubs want us to pay through the nose for  their players and nick ours, for next to nothing

They're dead right to try it and we should be looking to do the exact same.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

really?

I would say of our players, Heaton, Mings, Konsa, Targett, Luiz, McGinn, Grealish are definately Premiership quality.

I would say Guilbert, Engels, Wesley, Samatta are probably Prem quality but need some more time to show it and/or develop further.

For ok squad players, i would say El Ghazi, Trez, Hourihane, Nakamba, Hause.

I tend to think Elmo, Taylor, Lansbury, Jota arent Prem quality.

I think with 4-6 quality signings in the right positions (LW/RW/ST/MC - possibly RB & LB), our squad should be comfortably mid table quality.

I cant believe you only think 3 of our players are Prem quality.

There is a difference of playing in the prem and being prem quality.

As someone has said this team stayed up by the skin of their teeth and most of the good stuff came from grealish so without him...we would be in the championship.

Could the Gilbert's konsa's samatta' be prem quality...possibly but they are not now....luiz struggled for 30 odd games so he is another possible one.

Targett is a sqaud player at best...poor defensively...alot of danger came from him being out of position so I would replace them

But like i say...these players need better players to learn from...otherwise we will be in the same position next season.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Probably not what we need right now, but Atalanta look like they're signing Aleksey Miranchuk for about £13m.

Loads and loads of value out there.

Really easy to not buy bad players.

Less easy to not overpay.

Blimey, I mentioned him a while ago because I saw that both him and his twin brother were going to cost a combined £20-25 mil.

There are absolute value bargains and snipes out there, which is why I am surprised at those we are continually being rumored at looking at thru the overpriced Championship market

Edited by Villaphan04
  • Like 3